Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

Story of my Sopwith Camel..Need help

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Story of my Sopwith Camel..Need help

Old 12-11-2013, 04:47 AM
effx33
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Story of my Sopwith Camel..Need help

When I was growing up my best buddies dad was a scale model scratch builder. I was his student he was my teacher(and not just with R/C planes). Needless to say we became close over the years. As time went by I accumulated a bunch of scale kits(Proctor kits, Dave Platt, Mike Reeves, Ziroli, I even have a Gotha Scale WWI bomber made for me by Arizona Models, I also love free flight scale, anybody else into diesel? and many more), short kits and drawing. Mostly pre-WWI to WWII. I love to build and fly. And over the years I became his test pilot. Chief (my nick name for him, he was a Merchant Marine in WWII) and I really liked the Sopwith Camel so I bought one from Mick Reeves in 2004. I had the fuse almost done, wings and rear stab almost done(they just needed to be covered) the rudder, done, covered and with stitching. It was our project.

One Sunday morning(9 years and 1 month to the day) I got a phone call that Chief passed away. It was a sad day to say the least. I ended up inheriting his whole collection. I couldn't look at my planes without getting a sick feeling in my stomach. I haven't worked on a plane since. In fact I had a birthday party at the house and my one nephew accidentally kicked a ball into the fuse of my Camel and messed it up pretty good. That made it worse for me to try and get back into my shop.

Well I want to get back into building and flying. I have two boys that want to fly and build. I'm just sad to see that building, let alone scale building is not big if around at all??(RTF is all there is anymore??) I was hoping that I could get some encouragement and help with restoring my camel and to just get back into the swing of things. I was going to post some pictures and post them here to show the damage and to see what is salvageable? Would like to build and to start putting my planes into shows. The Toledo show was a event that I went to every year for years.

I have all of these great kits and everything you need to build and fly just need some encouragement and ideas to get back into it. My wife was the one who told me I should post this and give it a try? lol. To the R/C guys out there if you do please share any ideas you may have? I'll take some pictures and post them if anybody would like to see? I really want to get the fuse back into shape again..I'm so close to finishing the camel.

Thanks for your time,

Jim

Last edited by effx33; 12-11-2013 at 04:35 PM.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:57 AM
Nieuport nut
My Feedback: (10)

Glad to hear you are going back to the Camel. It will be a perfect way to commemorate you friend.
This is a great site for encouragement, help and examples of other people's work. There are a number of MR Camel builds here and on R/C Scale Model Builder, some done in great detail.
Yes, it's an ARF world, but the internet has made this sort of communication easy and immediate. I still prefer going over to a like-minded buddy's workshop, but RCU is an OK substitute!

Welcome back,

Martin
Old 12-11-2013, 12:31 PM
AMA 74894
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

WELCOME to RCU!

you're in the right place, Jim! (I'm a Jim too )
Not to minimize but rather to empathize:
My Father started flying model airplanes in the early 1930s while he was a teen. Myself and both my Brothers were weaned on glow fuel..
heck I'm 'only' 51 but I still vividly remember what it was like flying with reeds and escapements...
both my Brothers are gone now, and Gramps (Dad) is in failing heath and will not likely see Christmas this year.

NOW is the time to build... and to fly and to remember. one thing I never ever wanted for myself or for anyone else was to have to make the statement 'I WISH I had done that when I was younger'
Your Wife sounds like an exceptional Woman... She must know you better than anyone, and if SHE thinks you should start building and flying again, she'ss probably right

I'm just about ready to clear off my bench and start working on a Balsa USA 1/3 Scale Sopwith Pup... and I plan on taking out all the stops and going full blown SCALE...
you'll find so much information on this forum, your eyes will fall out... and there are PLENTY of great folks to help you out.

it's time to start making NEW memories... Kit building IS NOT dead... not even close. the hobby has grown so much in the last 10 years that now almost everyone knows what an RC airplane is at least.
and the people who know how to BUILD them (and not just go BUY one) are high value people. you're one of them

I'm DROOLING over the thought of a Nick Reeves Camel.... what size? what Engine are you planning to put in it?
and yes, pictures please

you're in VERY good company here... so bust 'em out and let's see what you've got!
Old 12-11-2013, 01:02 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Getting that Camel in the air will get you all pumped up... Write your Mentors name on the pilot or side of that plane and put him back in the hobby, I have a 1/3 Pup I bought abandoned and it took 3 owners and 20 years but it flies now with a tribute to my Pop on the side...
Old 12-11-2013, 07:04 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

You want to get pumped up to build scale? Go here: www.rcscalebuilder.com
Old 12-12-2013, 06:48 AM
AMA 74894
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Chad Veich
You want to get pumped up to build scale? Go here: www.rcscalebuilder.com
+1 I'm registered there... TONS of great info!
Old 12-12-2013, 10:59 AM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

here you go, just pretend this is riding in your Camel instead of my Pup ! hahahaha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsDWTn2C5VI
Old 12-15-2013, 04:09 AM
effx33
My Feedback: (6)

Thanks for all the nice responses! Sorry it has taken me so long to respond. I have been very sick the last 3 days. I started going through all of my R/C stuff. Some of it made me sad but for the most part I'm jacked up! I will try and post pictures of the Camel and get some ideas from you guys as to what is salvageable and what just needs to be rebuilt?

Thanks again guys!

Jim

PS..Loved the video!!!