Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Starduster Too

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 07:47 PM
A7Bldr
My Feedback: (40)

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Starduster Too

I'd like to build a nice bipe for a G-45 engine. I ordered the plans off Ebay for a Starduster Too, which I think are actually the RCM plans. I would've gotten them from RCM but read nothing but horror stories on the service or lack there-of from them. I don't have 2-3 months to wait.
As I've searched the web for information on this plane I've learned a few things: it could use some lightening up, its a very good looking plane and it flies pretty well.
Anyone have one past or present that can comment?
Thanks,
Jim
Old 12-16-2013, 02:47 AM
Tony Hallo

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts

In the early years of giant scale, planes were designed differently than today, things like 1/2" thick firewalls were the norm. I don't expect you will have much trouble loosing weight by applying todays standards. I remember many years seeing a demo flight put on by Bob Campbell of Ohio, it sure looked big. His plane was mostly foam sheeted balsa. Sure did fly pretty.
Old 12-17-2013, 07:51 PM
A7Bldr

I have studied the plans now and like the simplicity of the build vs other older design bipes I've seen with a million-and-one pieces. The plane originally was set up for a ST2000 glow engine. My G-45 is way too big for it, so I will use an OS GT33.
I plan to cover it in film, instead of my original intent of fabric and paint, to keep the weight reasonable. With the right color scheme it will look classy as well as classic. It would be fun to put smoke on it too. Now I'm sending the plans off to Laser design services in TX to cut a short kit. I've dealt with Bob many times before. Here's a pic of a nice full size...
Jim
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1489048.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	1948546  
Old 12-18-2013, 08:15 AM
Lone Star Charles

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You might take a look at this thread: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/scra...ign-build.html

The Acroduster II was a fully aerobatic design that was based on the semi-elliptical lines of the original Starduster Too.
Old 12-18-2013, 04:56 PM
A7Bldr

I've seen that thread and actually contacted him. Unfortunately he hasn't completed his plans, etc.
Jim
Old 12-31-2013, 08:27 AM
CK1
My Feedback: (60)

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

I have built the RCM # 1080 plans for the Star Duster Too . Its is a beautiful plane and it flys well on a Brison 3.2 (52cc ) , although a great deal of the engine hangs out of the cowl . I am sure a G45 would sufficiently power it also . The plans are old school and thus the plane will build heavy . If I were to build it again I would either remove the crutch system or put lightening holes in everything to reduce weight. I have looked at Dario Brisaghellia plans and a few built models of the Star Duster Too and found them to be much better than the RCM plans . Dario's should build lighter than the RCM and looks more scale to me . It is also a little larger than the RCM version . The fuselage is larger in diameter and the cowl is large enough to hide most of the engine .
Old 12-31-2013, 02:55 PM
A7Bldr

Glad to hear she's a good flier. When I looked at the plans, side view, I just didn't feel this was a plane suited for a G-45 or larger. The plane seemed smallish. Of course the original designer used a ST2000 engine.......
I'm still waiting on the Laser cut parts to show up. I decided to try to stay light with it and purchased an OS GT33 for it. I will remove most of the crutch and probably cover it with film. Also gotta try to keep the tail light. I thought the plans looked ok as far as the build process goes - simple enough.
I wish the other larger set of plans was still available; but I'm not aware of any source.
Jim
Old 01-05-2014, 07:25 AM
jefff
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jim, hope you get your parts soon. The Holidays must of put them behind. I am trying to get as much done as I can. Once the Sun comes out in early Spring it is hard for me to build! I have both wings and the horizontal framed up.