Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

First non "commercial" gs kit

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

First non "commercial" gs kit

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2013, 04:57 PM
DaleJEckart
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question First non "commercial" gs kit

In considering my first Giant Scale kit by someone other than a kit manufacturer (i.e. Kit cut from plans from designer such as Ziroli, Bates, Hostetler, etc. ) does it make any difference in difficulty if I re-scale the plans? Can I even get the one-off size cut by a reputable cutter? Thinking about having a Bates P-36 enlarged to 111" (exactly 1/4 scale)... what drawbacks will I have?

Old 12-25-2013, 05:20 PM
All Day Dan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Scaling up from 82 inches to 110 inches is a scale factor of 1.3415. You will wind up with all unusual wood sizes and notches. You could make up the differences but it would be a lot of work. Dan.
Old 12-26-2013, 06:58 PM
RBACONS
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also, obtaining fiberglass parts such as cowlings, etc will be near impossible. You will likely have to make your own plugs and molds for these. Likewise with any retractable landing gear. You'll have to have someone like Sierra custom make them for you.
Old 12-27-2013, 03:08 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by All Day Dan
Scaling up from 82 inches to 110 inches is a scale factor of 1.3415. You will wind up with all unusual wood sizes and notches. You could make up the differences but it would be a lot of work. Dan.

The new plans will show enlarged wood, but it doesn't mean that the model should be built with it.

For instance, say an 82" model may have 1/8" sheeting. That same 1/8" sheet can be used on the expanded 110" model. The same is true with dimensional sticks

Not everything needs to be correspondingly enlarged. To do so will result in an unnecessary weight gain, with no significant gain in strength.

In my opinion, it takes advanced building skills to build from expanded plans. Knowledge of structure and materials is required.

You can't go by any dimension, printed on the plans. They aren't recalculated during the printing process.

What the OP is planning, can be done, but it takes some advanced skills to do so. If he posseses those qualities, there is no reason to hold back.
Old 12-27-2013, 04:01 PM
DaleJEckart

I think I may stick to original plans for my first few designer kits. Have no clue how to mold my own glass parts and probably am not well off enough to purchase one-off gear.
Old 12-28-2013, 03:44 AM
TomCrump

Originally Posted by DaleJEckart
I think I may stick to original plans for my first few designer kits. Have no clue how to mold my own glass parts and probably am not well off enough to purchase one-off gear.
A wise decision ! It's usually best to get your feet wet, before diving in.

Readily available parts are a big plus.

I hope that you have an enjoyable plans build. Do you still plan to build the Bates P-36, or something else ?
Old 12-28-2013, 04:14 PM
DaleJEckart

Originally Posted by TomCrump
A wise decision ! It's usually best to get your feet wet, before diving in.

Readily available parts are a big plus.

I hope that you have an enjoyable plans build. Do you still plan to build the Bates P-36, or something else ?
Either that or the Ziroli Hellcat.
Old 12-29-2013, 05:32 AM
TomCrump

Originally Posted by DaleJEckart
Either that or the Ziroli Hellcat.
Both men are great designers. You can't go wrong with either.

Have fun with which ever design you choose !