Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

Airframe choices for the Evolution 260cc radial?

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Airframe choices for the Evolution 260cc radial?

Old 02-06-2014, 10:37 PM
jymster
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airframe choices for the Evolution 260cc radial?

Hi guys, someone may have posted this question before, but I haven't found any threads yet. I am soon to be the proud owner of the new Evolution 260cc 7 cylinder radial gas engine, and would like suggestions as to some good airframe choices for it. As many of you may be aware, the 260 is quite a bit larger in diameter (12.95" or 329mm) than the Moki 250 (11.22" or 285mm), so it won't fit in many airframes that the Moki will. My personal favourite choice at the moment is the Peter Barth 1/3 scale Waco YMF. But I would like to know any suggestions that others may have.

James.
Old 02-07-2014, 04:21 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You probably already have your answer.

The Barth WACO builds into a beautiful model. The WACO is an elegant airframe, deserving of a large radial.

Another option may be the Bates Spartan Executive. http://www.jbplans.com/products-page...5-scale-plans/ But you should check on the cowl diameter. I know that it's large, but I am uncertain of the exact dimmension.

If the Executive is a little small, it would be possible to blow the plans up to a suitable size. The cowl can be built from wood, if desired, so you wouldn't have to worry about parts availability for the non standard size.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:44 AM
snobird
My Feedback: (36)

Composite ARF, makes a Pitts that will take the 260
Old 02-07-2014, 11:50 AM
jbarnes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out the 41% Pitts by JTEC. Also, AMR makes a WACO that is very easy to build. Jerry.
Old 02-08-2014, 03:57 AM
Edi Paulo
My Feedback: (11)

The Peter Barth 1/3 scale Waco YMF is a great choice, before i built my Balsa USA Stearman, i was debating between the Waco and the stearman. But you are looking for ideas, why not a 50% bucker jungmeister? Sounds big but its not, Wing span is 12'' bigger than the Waco, I'm building one right now just about ready for painting, one of the best kits i ever built, just a idea,

Edi
Old 02-08-2014, 09:07 AM
dadragon

1/5 scale (120") A-1 skyraider.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:38 PM
snobird
My Feedback: (36)

Where do you get a 1/5 skyraider kit. Do you know this engine will fit. .??
Old 02-09-2014, 12:50 AM
jymster
My Feedback: (9)

Hi all, thanks very much for all of your ideas. Yes, the Barth Waco is my ultimate end goal, but just a bit pricey at the moment. However, I think I may have found my interim answer today, as a mate of mine just bought a 1/3 B USA Stearman just for the Moki 250 bolted to the front of it! He was not really interested in the airframe, so I my be in luck! Fingers crossed!