Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Giant Citabria GP/EP ARF 85"

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Great Planes Giant Citabria GP/EP ARF 85"

Old 02-04-2015, 01:06 PM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Received 123 Likes on 106 Posts

Since I've removed the gear a few times on this airplane I tell you that you may experience a blind but or two coming loose, if when you replace the screws holding the gear one or two feels that it is turning and not grabing the nut, probably it came out of the wood and it is rotating, what I did was to punch a small hole right under/top of the screw on the skin of the airplane then I pushed the blind with a screw driver ( philip ) into the wood and held it there with the screw driver untill I was able to catch it with the screw from there I just keep screwing the screw all the way, I had to do that twice, finally I put a small patch of monokote to close the hole, done no drama.

Happy landings
Old 02-04-2015, 03:28 PM
Redtail_Customs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have yet to start on mine I bought it from Tower . Hobbies

Jim
Old 02-04-2015, 06:03 PM
fly24-7

Originally Posted by CARS II
Since I've removed the gear a few times on this airplane I tell you that you may experience a blind but or two coming loose, if when you replace the screws holding the gear one or two feels that it is turning and not grabing the nut, probably it came out of the wood and it is rotating, what I did was to punch a small hole right under/top of the screw on the skin of the airplane then I pushed the blind with a screw driver ( philip ) into the wood and held it there with the screw driver untill I was able to catch it with the screw from there I just keep screwing the screw all the way, I had to do that twice, finally I put a small patch of monokote to close the hole, done no drama.

Happy landings

I had had the same thing happen on the original install of the gear. I had one blind nut come loose. Was able to get a small screwdriver in there to take up space as I tightened it. Not sure what GP was thinking when they designed the gear mount. If you're going to have it bolt in from the inside of the fuselage, at least allow for adequate accessibility to get tools in there to tighten the screws. Getting at the center ones were fine, the end ones were a real problem. As I was tightening one, my T-handle hex driver popped out of the screw head and punched through the covering on the left side. A lot of colorful language after that happened. I hate having to patch a plane before it even leaves the workshop. The snafu helped me decide where I'll install the fuel and smoke fillers.

I've started the fabrication of a removable mounting plate that the fillers will be mounted to. This way, i can take it out if I ever need improved access to the screws in the future.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	892.6 KB
ID:	2070533   Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	918.4 KB
ID:	2070534  
Old 02-04-2015, 06:04 PM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (2)

I am delighted to hear this news. It does in some way restore confidence in Great Planes. This otherwise great looking and great flying plane will soon be on it way to a perfect product.

I recently assembled for the first time a discontinued Hangar 9 Corsair. There is no comparison in the quality, Great Planes is in many ways much better. A lot of bang for the buck!

My Citabria is again together again with it's 40 cc twin from VVRC. They replaced the motor again. This time I opened up the cowl more and did some baffling around the cylinders. The other thing is that these motors are run and set in another state, so im sure the carb needs to be re-tuned for sure. So if it is set at a higher altitude, then here in Florida near sea level could mean a big difference. Just wondering how much that could effect the settings.
Old 02-04-2015, 06:55 PM
CARS II

Fly

I see your Citabria is #821, mine is #162, looks like they have sold over a thousand Citabras by now.

Last edited by CARS II; 02-04-2015 at 09:40 PM.
Old 02-04-2015, 07:31 PM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

Fly

I see your Citabria is #821, mine is #162, looks like they have sold over a thousand Citabria.
How do you know which number you have?
Old 02-04-2015, 08:42 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

I too feel that I must applaud Bill and Great Planes for this move. Upon my graduation from high school I went to work full time in a Northern California hobby shop called San Antonio Hobbies. I was there from 1982-1989. We held customer service in very high regard. At the time we were competing with Sheldons Hobbies less then 30 miles away. Sheldons was a deep discount shop and we were not. We did a huge amount of business in part because we offered solid customer service. We of course purchased from Great Planes and during a trip to the Chicago model expo we made the drive and took a tour of Great Planes hosted by none other than Don Anderson himself. He left me with a lasting impression that customer service was important to the entire GP organization as well. Over the years my confidence in that has faded. I think this stems from what I have seen happen to products that GP has acquired and soon afterwards the quality seems to degrade. I learned early on that people will pay a little more for quality and service, it's refreshing to see that GP is stepping up and showing that they do in fact see that at a time where other manufacturers are not supporting their products that they are willing to listen to customers and doing the right thing. Bravo!
Old 02-04-2015, 09:38 PM
CARS II

Das, there are two small pieces of scotch tape on all of them, on the inside of the firewall and the windshield. If you look at fly's pictures closely you can see the Scotch tape on it with the 821 number on it.

What number do you have?
Old 02-04-2015, 09:49 PM
CARS II

Really? San Antonio hobbies, my RC adventure started in 1987, I visited all the hobby shops around the bay including San Antonio Hobbies, maybe we have met before, way before and we don't even know it.
Old 02-05-2015, 05:23 AM
dasintex

Das, there are two small pieces of scotch tape on all of them, on the inside of the firewall and the windshield. If you look at fly's pictures closely you can see the Scotch tape on it with the 821 number on it.

What number do you have?
Do not know, I must have removed the tape!
Old 02-05-2015, 05:34 AM
Johnny_Zero
My Feedback: (44)

My LHS where I purchased my plane has no idea about replacement gear. Guess only select hobby shops are getting the replacements. Doh
Old 02-05-2015, 07:17 AM
drdoom
My Feedback: (9)

Any News on the Replacemant landing gear?
Old 02-05-2015, 08:29 AM
[email protected]

I checked and mine does not have any. There is a small piece of tape on the back of the windshield that looks like it may of been a tag, but most of it is gone because it was placed over an edge and torn clean off. But none of the firewall.
Old 02-05-2015, 09:05 AM
CARS II

Gutz, Das

I will estimate you guys have a unit number under the 100s.
Old 02-05-2015, 09:16 AM
dasintex

Gutz, Das

I will estimate you guys have a unit number under the 100s.
I ordered mine Sept 10, 2014; at my door on the 15th.
Old 02-05-2015, 09:46 AM
[email protected]

Mine was back ordered and shipped on Sept. 8 when they first came available.
Old 02-06-2015, 11:36 AM
jwrich
My Feedback: (17)

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Today, I called Tower Hobbies about the landing gear replacement to see if I was on their list. They said they were aware of the letter in the forums and that my name was list and that the gear was sent out yesterday. It came in the mail today! That is what I call Customer Service!!!! I have been dealing with Tower Hobbies since the early '70s and I have never had a problem the this company.

I did buy the replacement gear from TNT, so now I'll have a spare set of landing gear.

Rich
Old 02-06-2015, 02:18 PM
Redtail_Customs

I bought mine in DEC. I need to call tower I guess. I have not heard from them
Old 02-06-2015, 04:13 PM
CARS II

The way I understand it TH customers will be getting a new gear set soon without having to call, they most likely will pull a list from their computer.

The way I understand it
Old 02-06-2015, 05:29 PM
Redtail_Customs

Ok thanks Bud
Old 02-06-2015, 07:41 PM
EJWash1
My Feedback: (3)

The way I understand it TH customers will be getting a new gear set soon without having to call, they most likely will pull a list from their computer.
Well, the way that you understand it, is the way it is!

Waiting for me when I got home, via USPS, was an large, padded mailing envelope from Champaign, IL. Inside was a set of replacement main landing gear for my Citabria. The accompanying letter included exactly what Bax posted in this forum.

Being that I purchased a set of main gear from TnT, I never contacted Tower Hobbies (place of purchase) to get on a list requesting replacement gear. So, apparently Great Planes is sending replacement gear to those that purchased a Citabria, no request needed.

I must say, the replacement gear is identical to the original, so I will still be installing the TnT main gear on my model.
Old 02-06-2015, 07:44 PM
Redtail_Customs

What's the thickness of the TnT gear ? Thanks
Old 02-06-2015, 10:37 PM
EJWash1
My Feedback: (3)

Originally Posted by Redtail_Customs
What's the thickness of the TnT gear ? Thanks
I mic'd the supplied gear along with the TnT gear, but I can't find the post. If nobody posts it early tomorrow, I'll mic it again and post it tomorrow for ya.
Old 02-06-2015, 10:43 PM
Redtail_Customs

Thank you Sir
Old 02-06-2015, 10:52 PM
CARS II

Citabria 30-35cc 3PC 3/16 for Gas
85 "WS 6.25" tall

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.