Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Giant Citabria GP/EP ARF 85"

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Great Planes Giant Citabria GP/EP ARF 85"

Old 02-07-2015, 08:00 AM
fly24-7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CARS II
Fly

I see your Citabria is #821, mine is #162, looks like they have sold over a thousand Citabras by now.
Actually, it looks to be applied upside down. The number on the tape is 128. It's possible that that's an inspector number.
Old 02-07-2015, 09:05 AM
handyman 220
My Feedback: (54)

I got the padded bag that was supposed to have the replacement landing gear today. Unfortunately all I received was the bag with the letter. Already called Tower to report the problem. I feel it is a little dumb to ship the replacement gear in a bag through the postal system. I wonder how many other Citabria owners are receiving torn empty bags??
Old 02-07-2015, 09:05 AM
handyman 220

I got the padded bag that was supposed to have the replacement landing gear today. Unfortunately all I received was the bag with the letter. Already called Tower to report the problem. I feel it is a little dumb to ship the replacement gear in a bag through the postal system. I wonder how many other Citabria owners are receiving torn empty bags??
Old 02-07-2015, 09:19 AM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Received 123 Likes on 106 Posts

Maybe the mail man need a set and couldn't wait for his padded bag
Old 02-07-2015, 09:26 AM
handyman 220

Lol
Old 02-07-2015, 11:40 AM
EJWash1
My Feedback: (3)

Originally Posted by Redtail_Customs
What's the thickness of the TnT gear ? Thanks
Great Planes supplied main gear (original and replacement) = .160"

TnT Landing Gear Products = .200"
Old 02-07-2015, 01:20 PM
Redtail_Customs

Thanks EJ that works out around 3/16.
Old 02-07-2015, 05:19 PM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (2)

I got to fly my Citabria today after installing the replacement motor, and without any problems. The VVRC 40cc twin ran flawlessly. The idle is the slowest of any gas two stroke I have. I purposely ran it a little rich until well broke in. My landings were nearly perfect and after 4 flights with some touch and goes, my landing gear was only slightly bent. I hope to receive the new gear soon, I should since I was one of the first of them ordered. So finally my Citabria will be running well with no concerns.
My 4 flights were about 10 minutes each. And each time I would check the fuel tank. This motor uses so little fuel that the first 3 flights were done without refueling. My 500mL tank is good for over 30 minutes running time. That is with throttle management.
I will be looking for the replacement LG by Monday, or I shall call TH.
Old 02-08-2015, 06:59 AM
[email protected]

Early in November I called GP about the LG and they sent me another set. I never installed it because I assumed that after hearing so many complaints online that it would also be the same as what I had. So I contacted Graph Tech RC in Arizona and they wanted the gear to use to make a graphite mold. So I have called and called, left messages and emails with NO response from them. It's been almost three months now that they have had my LG. So today I sent them another message that they missed the opportunity to sell many of these CF LG now that Great Planes has corrected the problem.
I also looked at my account at Tower Hobbies and I don't yet see an order for the replacement LG. So I guess I will have to call them next week. And since the weather is so great today here in Florida, I am taking it out again today.
Old 02-08-2015, 07:46 AM
handyman 220

My account also showed nothing was shipped, but I did receive the padded bag that was supposed to have the replacement landing gear. I did call Tower to let them know the LG was not in the torn bag. Customer service says another will be shipped. Hope it lands in MY mailbox this time.
Old 02-08-2015, 10:19 PM
Planeclothes
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have my replacement LG already installed but it may be at least a couple of days before I get to give it a try due to bad weather.
Old 02-09-2015, 01:31 PM
[email protected]

Wow! got an empty bag today with a letter in it from GP. Torn open at one end. It's a large envelope, so I'm guessing it slid around until the corner of the gear punched through. There was a red stamp on it saying "received W/O contents". So I got on the phone, it took a while because TH doesn't seem to know much about this. So I had to call GP and they apologized and said another will be on it's way. I guess I can wait, it's been 5 months already with the problem.
I did fly it both days this weekend and everything was just fine, except the LG. I made all great landings but still had to adjust a few times so it did not look like I was taxing with a flat tire.
Everyone comments about what a great looking plane it is. This Citabria and my Revolvers are all great flyers. My favorite is the 50 cc Revolver. Just finished rebuilding that motor because I flew the gutz out of it for two years.
Old 02-09-2015, 02:16 PM
handyman 220

Originally Posted by [email protected]
Wow! got an empty bag today with a letter in it from GP. Torn open at one end. It's a large envelope, so I'm guessing it slid around until the corner of the gear punched through. There was a red stamp on it saying "received W/O contents". So I got on the phone, it took a while because TH doesn't seem to know much about this. So I had to call GP and they apologized and said another will be on it's way. I guess I can wait, it's been 5 months already with the problem.
I did fly it both days this weekend and everything was just fine, except the LG. I made all great landings but still had to adjust a few times so it did not look like I was taxing with a flat tire.
Everyone comments about what a great looking plane it is. This Citabria and my Revolvers are all great flyers. My favorite is the 50 cc Revolver. Just finished rebuilding that motor because I flew the gutz out of it for two years.
I have a feeling that you and I are not going to be the only ones receiving empty bags (see my post above) I know it was probably the cheapest shipping option, but in the long run it may cost them more in lost landing gear.
Old 02-09-2015, 04:12 PM
TimD.
My Feedback: (207)

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I got a bag with the new gear today. I never even signed up or anything. Pretty cool that they took all that have bought one and sent the upgraded gear without even asking. ( KUDOS )
Old 02-09-2015, 08:17 PM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

Got my replacement Gear today as well, but I have already built mine and I had doubled up on the gear and installed a piano wire rod and gear straps on the underside of the gear legs for reinforcement, my gear is pretty stout now, havn't flown it yet, so if my gear fails I can always replace it with the new set they sent me; but I have a feeling my gear Mod is going to work well, we will soon see!.

Last edited by dasintex; 02-09-2015 at 08:20 PM.
Old 02-10-2015, 06:15 AM
Mpizpilot
My Feedback: (45)

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

So I have a NIB citabria that I bought on rcu. I've contacted both tower and great planes and have basically been told go scratch when it comes to gear replacement because I didn't buy from tower and don't have a dealer contact. Not cool in my book. This goes to prove all it takes is one bad expierence to alienate consumers. I've spent thousands over the years with them, I get the gold preferred savings etc etc.

No more.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:16 AM
CARS II

Send the seller a massage, he will be receiving the new gear, ask him to ship it to you.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:23 AM
jwrich
My Feedback: (17)

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

If the person you bought the Citabria from bought it from TH, then TH will send the gear to him. Just contact him, tell him what is going on and have him send them to you. You will have to pay his shipping cost. I understand that TH doesn't owe you anything, they have no records of you buying the airplane. If the guy you got if from is a stand-up guy and chances are that he is, he will send it to you, he don't need it.

Rich
Old 02-11-2015, 11:42 AM
Mpizpilot

He is a standup guy. He inherited the plane from a club member who passed away. I'm not going to have him pester the guys family for an invoice. I look at it this way. I bought a used Toyota prius. A recall was issued and even though I didn't buy it from Toyota, the repair was still taken care of free of charge. Now if I had been flying the plane for awhile, I can see them taking issue. But this is NIB. Just saying.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:59 AM
[email protected]

There is a big difference between a titled and registered vehicle with safety concerns, federal law and what not, and a few hundred dollar RC airplane. There is no way for the MFG to track it except for the original purchase. Besides, we are only talking about a $30 LG. And since it is still NIB you don't know yet if you have a defective LG.
Old 02-11-2015, 01:11 PM
drdoom
My Feedback: (9)

I just got mine changed out. Believe it or not, I didn't drop one bolt or washer. should be ready for a summer of fun.
Old 02-11-2015, 01:44 PM
EJWash1
My Feedback: (3)

Got around to drilling my replacement TnT main gear. Also shot the legs and joining strap with chromate-free zinc phosphate primer. I'll let it sit until the weekend, then spray it with Top Flite Lusterkote (white).

Lazy pace, but no sense in rushing - ain't flying season yet.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06012.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	889.7 KB
ID:	2072345   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06015.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	764.0 KB
ID:	2072346   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06016.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	449.1 KB
ID:	2072347  
Old 02-11-2015, 05:28 PM
Mpizpilot

Originally Posted by [email protected]
There is a big difference between a titled and registered vehicle with safety concerns, federal law and what not, and a few hundred dollar RC airplane. There is no way for the MFG to track it except for the original purchase. Besides, we are only talking about a $30 LG. And since it is still NIB you don't know yet if you have a defective LG.
Really? I respectfully disagree. The $ amount has zero to with it. I'm bowing out of this one. Back to building.
Old 02-11-2015, 05:51 PM
CARS II

TH is going to ship the padded envelop to that house because that is the person that bough the Citabria, I'm not sure if they will know what to do with it, maybe you can have the club member check with them once to see if the envelop is there.
Old 02-14-2015, 06:52 AM
[email protected]

I got my replacement, replacement LG on Friday. Very fast, I only just called them on Monday. So I dove right into the swapping out of the gear. When I opened the bag I saw marks on the gear from painting (on the top side). Too eager to flip it over and paint the underside while the paint was still wet. So I set out to sand and paint them. Only took a few hours since the sun was out I just let them soak it up and dry faster. While waiting I went and got some new Skylight wheels (pricy at $18 each). They are a little harder than the Du-Bro low bounce, but I like them. The aluminum hubs look nice, and the nylon inserts give it an easy roll. I might go fly either this afternoon or tomorrow. It's cold this morning 40 degrees, and might hit 60 by afternoon. But tomorrow will be better, Might hit 66 degrees here, and that is cold for us here in Florida.
Even after sanding you can still see the marks from a wire drying rack. With all the trouble I sure hope they perform like they should. Has anyone else been able to compare between the original (bad) and the new (good) LG?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	002.JPG
Views:	230
Size:	1.62 MB
ID:	2072938  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.