Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Giant Citabria GP/EP ARF 85"

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Great Planes Giant Citabria GP/EP ARF 85"

Old 02-14-2015, 07:05 AM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Received 123 Likes on 106 Posts

You will be the first one.
Old 02-14-2015, 08:45 AM
jwrich
My Feedback: (17)

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Does anyone have a report on the new LG replacements? I bought the TNT gear, I'll keep the GP gear as a spare. Just wondering how the new gear holds up.

Thanks
Rich
Old 02-22-2015, 04:43 PM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Today I flew with the new LG. Lot's of landings with and WO flaps, mains and three point landings. Some were perfect, some were not. But after more than a dozen landings the LG held up very well with NO noticeable deflection. I was flying the E W runway and the wind was from 200 Degrees at 15 MPH. It handled the crosswind very well.
My 40cc VVRC twin ran very well and the cooling problem is taken care of. One of the other club members at my field had an incident with his GP Citabria today. It slammed into the ground hard on final. I think he is hanging it up for now. I cant find anything else wrong with this ARF other than the weak area next to the fuel tank where the firewall rails are notched for the servo trays. A plywood doubled there has stopped the crack from growing. Now I can pay some attention to my other aircraft since this one is sorted out.
Old 02-22-2015, 07:07 PM
CARS II

I'm doing the same, going back to my other airplanes, this one was a challenge for sure but at the end it is a pleasure to fly.

Thank you for the report on the gear.

And it only took nearly 500 replies and near 20K views

Last edited by CARS II; 02-22-2015 at 07:13 PM.
Old 03-03-2015, 04:06 PM
CARS II

I find it to be to much work having to drill four holes on the props for my 35 RE, ( I don't own a drill press ) soooooo. I saw some here on RCU that VVRC had this single prop bolt adapter, I talked to Mary from VVRC to find out when they were going to get more ( they were out for some time ) it happenes that they just go more in and are available now, around $34.00 shipped to you.

I will be getting one soon and will be posting my findings

phttp://www.valleyviewrc.com/estore/dle-single-bolt-prop-adapter-dle-30-35ra.html

Last edited by CARS II; 03-03-2015 at 04:10 PM.
Old 03-03-2015, 04:27 PM
[email protected]

cars, all you need is a hand drill and the drill guide. It is easy to make perfect mounting holes with it and a hand drill. Just be sure to back up the back with a block of plywood to eliminate any splintering when the bit exits. Cleaning up the holes from the other direction makes it easy to mount the prop. Also, if you buy a prop from VVRC they will drill the holes for free at either
12 or 2 o'clock. I would really recommend it.
Attached Images  
Old 03-03-2015, 05:53 PM
CARS II

I will look into it.

Thanks
Old 03-08-2015, 06:10 PM
[email protected]

On Saturday I mounted my gopro camera to the Citabria. My choice of locations was not a good one. Loss of control was extreme. I made it back around and landed safely. The disruption of air to the tail made it very hard to control. Here is the method I used and will not do again.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	062.JPG
Views:	305
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	2079928  
Old 03-09-2015, 08:06 AM
iampilot2

Thank you for sharing that information, glad you got it back on the ground safely.
Old 03-09-2015, 03:16 PM
jwrich
My Feedback: (17)

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I finally got some flights on my Citabria this weekend. I had some issues with the DLE 35RA get it to run and idle. First couple of flights were great, then I started to trying the flaps on landing. I have the flaps set up on a three position switch, first I tried half flap landing, elevator was not vary effective. I tried full flaps and the elevator was almost no help. It was as if the flaps blocked the air flow which canceled out the elevator. All that was damaged was the landing gear, it was bent out (TNT gear). Today I bent the the gear back to it original shape and increased the throw on the elevator. I think I'll try it again with full flaps but a little higher.

I bought mine in December, weather and making the modifications that was addressed on the forums didn't allow the first flight until this weekend. Tower Hobbies did send me the replacement gear but I think the TNT gear is heavier. All in all, I am very pleased with the airplane.

Rich

Last edited by jwrich; 03-09-2015 at 04:59 PM.
Old 03-26-2015, 02:19 PM
[email protected]

https://youtu.be/AUDTR_R5H7c This is a video taken by my GP Giant Citabria at TRAC airfield in Brandon, FL
Old 03-26-2015, 08:20 PM
CARS II

Nice video, thankyou for shearing.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:16 AM
yankphan
My Feedback: (9)

I debating on this plane or the goldwing rc decathlon 30cc.
Mo like the goldwing that it comes with carbon gear and wing tube. I also like that the great planes has flaps. Which to get ...??
Old 03-27-2015, 08:17 AM
yankphan

http://www.generalhobby.com/goldwing-bellanca-decathlon-30cc-carbon-version-airplane-p-474.html
Old 03-27-2015, 01:32 PM
[email protected]

I was just looking at the Goldwing with the link you gave. I usually prefer to view the assembly instructions before I buy, but they are not available at this site. But knowing GP Giant Citabria and looking at these photos gives me a little idea how to compare. I think you get what you pay for most of the time. They are all priced very competitively in the market, so there is a reason they are about $60 cheaper. You may be buying more problems than you would like for the savings.
A friend just tried to fly his 55 cc bargain priced ARF complete with servos. Could not maiden it because during trim setup one of the NON Brand name servos fried. Hardware was a nightmare. Two different size cowl screws were used depending on weather they went in from the back or from the front. A lot of little things wrong that you get use to being right when you buy a name brand like Great Planes. Now he cant trust anything that came with this plane. The savings he was hoping for is now gone and cost him much more.

My advise is always try and buy known quality and you will be happier down the road.
Old 03-27-2015, 01:38 PM
yankphan

Goldwingrc is a reputable brand. I own many egaircraft arfs which is a sister company to goldwing. I know the quality will be good. Just wanted to know more about it. I went with the goldwing because....
1) covered in ultracote rather than monokote
2) 1 piece carbon fiber gear
3) carbon wing tube and tail gear
The biggest reason I like about the goldwing is wing attachment. Wings get slid into the carbon tube with your normal wingbolts per half. The great planes went together like a topflite p47 with the wing as a whole using dowels into the fuse. Not a fan of that method. The great planes is the same price by the way with a tower discount code.
Old 03-27-2015, 01:39 PM
yankphan

All goldwing , egaircraft arfs come with a manual via cd.
Old 03-27-2015, 01:53 PM
[email protected]

Im sure that anyone with the knowledge and equipment can make a good aircraft. As for the monokote / ultracote, I have used both and find little difference with them, not enough to be a deal breaker for me. The one piece CF landing gear is great. But with a scale aircraft like this it should look like the original. Meaning it should have the correct shape and color. This CF could be painted. Great planes comes with a CF tail wheel and with tube. Personally I like the looks that GP has better. The wing attachment is not such a big deal, though I do like the real window they have on the goldwing model. However, I did notice how cheaply the windshield is on the Goldwing. I see a lot of poor fit and little use of velcro to try and hold the flimsy windshield in place. Now when a company displays their product for sale they should have a complete and flying model to see. They did not do that here. None of the basic things were put together. No control horns, No motor, the cowl is not even mounted or done correctly, it's misaligned. This is a very big deal for me, I have to see a complete and ready to fly model model if you want to sell me your stuff. Im not trying to be nasty, but think of it this way. Would you buy a car that was displayed like that?
Old 03-27-2015, 02:02 PM
yankphan

To each his own. To me the wing attachment is important. I'd much rather have a 1 piece main gear and I too worked with mono vs ultracote... There is a big difference. As far as the display on the website these guys just slap them together to take pics direct from the factory. Nothing enhanced. It is what it is.
I'm very confident the quality will be there... All my egaircraft and redwing arfs are top notch. I even have a 35% cessna from world models that is to me even better quality than my 47% pilot decathlon, go figure. The price is right on that goldwing decathlon that's for sure. If you'd like, I'll do an unboxing video for quality purposes.
Old 03-27-2015, 02:07 PM
[email protected]

That would be great! You know competition is always a good thing. So I look forward to seeing you build photos and results of flying. If you want, start your own thread and link it to this site, I would follow it. I like the way GP does many things but not everything. I often use hardware and building tips from other MFG. I may be set in my ways, but now and then I learn something new.
Old 03-27-2015, 02:12 PM
yankphan

Sounds like a plan👍
In the meantime, since your a fan of citabrias and decathlons... Check out my 47%😏
Enjoy!
Subscribe to my YouTube channel if you'd like and check out my fleet !
I just called General hobby to verify my order. The gentlemen confirmed and it will ship in "blue" later on today !
Take care

http://youtu.be/fxaMXJFhIUc
Old 03-29-2015, 05:27 PM
iampilot2

Assembly process moving slow, engine cowling complete including landing light.

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	633.9 KB
ID:	2085056  
Old 03-29-2015, 05:32 PM
yankphan

Does the landing light cone with the arf ?
If not, where did u get it... Thanks.
Old 03-29-2015, 07:35 PM
iampilot2

Nav lights were not included, landing light made by cutting end off of a "Maglite" style flashlight. Used super bright white LED supplied in NAV light system by:
http://www.bluelight-tech.com/productsNavLights.htm

Light system has low voltage feature, all lights will blink if low battery voltage is detected.

Last edited by iampilot2; 03-29-2015 at 07:39 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 04-03-2015, 02:45 PM
iampilot2

Finished the engine install, nice big muffler on the OS.
Small (2) conductor plug is for landing light

Views:	306
Size:	757.2 KB
ID:	2086063   Click image for larger version

Views:	281
Size:	750.0 KB
ID:	2086064  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.