Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

ECOMRC Howard Ike

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 03:55 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Default ECOMRC Howard Ike

Has anyone assembled the ECOMRC Howard Ike ARF? I would like to hear a first-hand report on quality and/or flight characteristics.

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-06-2014, 08:29 AM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

No first hand experience Lifer but I saw one of these fly at the Hemet Scale Masters qualifier and was VERY impressed. Appeared to fly like a pattern ship! I was most amazed by the ground handling which seemed quite tame. Of course I can't say how much of that was pilot experience and how much is the airplane itself but I was impressed enough with what I saw to consider purchasing one for myself at some point.

Last edited by Chad Veich; 06-06-2014 at 08:32 AM.
Old 06-06-2014, 11:56 AM
Lifer

Chad,

Thank you for a response! Do you recall if it was fast, and what engine was used? Also, how were the landing characteristics?
Old 06-06-2014, 06:09 PM
Chad Veich

I'm not sure of the engine Lifer but I think I heard somebody say it had a G-62 up front. From what I recall it had plenty of power and was fast but not outrageously so. What impressed me the most was how nice it seemed to handle on the ground. The landing was a thing of beauty and, being quite light for its size, it slowed down nicely. Based on how well it appeared to fly I would not hesitate to own one assuming the quality is at least as good as my EcomRC Bulldog.
Old 06-07-2014, 11:49 AM
Lifer

Chad,

So, you were impressed by the quality of the Bulldog?
Old 06-07-2014, 06:56 PM
Chad Veich

I would give the Bulldog a 7 on a 10 scale Lifer. The actual construction was well done for the most part. As with most ARF's the fit and finish are not stellar but not too bad either. It flies superbly and nothing has fallen off of it so thats pretty good for an ARF! I've owned models from most of the major ARF brands and I would say the Bulldog was comparable in quality to the best of them.
Old 06-08-2014, 02:20 AM
Lifer

Again, Thank You!
Old 06-08-2014, 01:36 PM
Chad Veich

You bet Lifer and good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 06-08-2014, 01:58 PM
Lifer

I did find this video. The plane seems docile:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nP90k-lww68

Turn down the music, though.....
Old 10-15-2014, 05:00 AM
[email protected]

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Lifer

I just stumbled over this thread while browsing the Forum. I have this plane since early summer and can say, that I am highly satisfied with it. While there are cheaper ARFs out there, the quality of the plane rather better than what whats usually available as an ARF. So it is for sure worth the Money.

I found a few matters of course. They choose a rather soft balsa for the planking of the wings and the stringers of the fuse, there is a certain mismatch of the colors between the covering and the painted fiber parts. But this is only visible under artificial light, and gets practically invisible under the sun. The only real gripe I had was the tailwheel. It is of the cheap "bent wire" type and just not up to the task. I replaced it with an aftermarket part after the second flight.

Highlights of the plane are the very well made fiber parts including the wheel Pants. Those are very well made and will hold up for quite a while.

The plane is a very tame Flyer, with no real vices. The wing Profile is rather thick and gives the plane very good slow flying characteristis which make landings easy. Altough they make dead stick landings also a bit challenging....just dont ask me how I know that... But I can tell at least that I know know that the plane and the landing gear can bear also some abuse.
The plane also isnt the fastest one because of the Profile, this doesnt seemingly Change much even with stronger engines. Looks like the airframe/wingprofile are the limiting factor here.

I have installed a Kolm EZ50 four stroke with a 22x10 Menz. This engine made the plane rather nose heavy even while I had to cut back the Motor dome almost by 2 inches to install the engine. In the end I had to add over 5 ounces of lead in the tail to Balance the plane. In ended up with a flying weight of (wet) of 20 1/2 Pounds.

The Kolm 50 moves the plane quiet nicely at more than scale Speed. A lighter two stroke up to 60 CC would give it more vertical power, but I think the speed increse would be marginal.

I hope this gives you an idea about the plane.

Regards

Robin
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Front left.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	164.4 KB
ID:	2040422   Click image for larger version

Name:	Front center.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	227.4 KB
ID:	2040423   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear left.jpg
Views:	468
Size:	169.3 KB
ID:	2040424  
Old 10-15-2014, 05:05 AM
Lifer

Robin,

Thanks to you for the reply (and to Chad as well). I'm still on the fence, but the building season starts here in the Midwest soon, so there are many possibilities!
Old 10-16-2014, 06:52 AM
plmcdonnell
My Feedback: (10)

Robin,

I have been putting this plane together, and I'm about ready to test fly. I was wondering where you set the C.G. The Manuel gives 2 different measurements, as I'm sure you noticed. I was planning on starting with the standard 25%, but was wondering what you ended up at.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:40 AM
[email protected]

Hello Plmcdonnell

Sorry for the late reply, but I was away for the Weekend. Anyway, yes my manaul also gave me 2 different CoGs (100 and 140mm). I did a CoG calculation myself and came out at 135mm. At the moment I am flying at 130mm. And she flies quite well with that CoG.

Regards

Robin
Old 10-20-2014, 04:11 PM
plmcdonnell

Hi Robin,

That will be a big help on it's first flight. From the video on YouTube and what you have stated, it should be a pretty straight forward test flight. I have the MOKI 50VT four stroke on mine and a 20X10 prop. I hope it's enough to pull the the plane. I know it's light, but it's size deceiving. I would think the Kolm and the Moki are comparable.
One other thing, I like the color of the model, but I wonder why they didn't just make it white like the real IKE.

Thanks again,

Paul
Old 10-21-2014, 11:28 AM
[email protected]

Hello Paul

I have just checked out the Moki 50VT. Pretty much the same specs as my Kolm. It will have enough power to move the DGA-5 with authorithy. It wont be a speed Monster, but thats due to the wing Profile and not the engine. If you have watch the Video on YouTube with the RCGF 55 two stroke mounted, you will see that thats about the Speed the model will reach.
Imho, this airframe has an inherent airspeed, which you wont gain much on even with grossly overpowering it.

And dont worry too much about the maiden flight. The plane is really well behaved, and flies like on rails. Just watch out on the landings, the plane does glide astoundingly well and for quite a distance. The landing strip can get short very fast. I have now programmed some flaperons for the landings, by defelcting the ailerons upwards for about 8mm. (1/3") The plane settles now very nice, and will stay down after the first touch down.

In regards to the Color, I am not too sure if the original was really pure white or a light cream. At least the example at "Fantasy of Flight" in Florida was a light cream IRC. But for sure ECOMRC went with what coloer was available form ORACOVER to cover the plane.

BTW, I wish you all the best for the maiden.

Greetings Robin
Old 10-22-2014, 06:42 AM
plmcdonnell

Hi Robin,

Thanks for the info. I'll let you know how it turns out. I noticed that you baffled you engine inside the cowl. Was it overheating prior to that, or just precautionary?

Thanks again,

Paul
Old 10-22-2014, 06:43 AM
plmcdonnell

Hi Robin,

Thanks for the info. I'll let you know how it turns out. I noticed that you baffled you engine inside the cowl. Was it overheating prior to that, or just precautionary?

Thanks again,

Paul
Old 10-22-2014, 09:41 PM
[email protected]

Hi Paul

You are welcome, glad I f I was able to help. Anyway, the baffling was mentioned and recommended for big cowls in the engine manual. And as the Ike's cowl is huge I went for it. I can't say if it is really necessary, but I feel better with it installed. Now I just Need a quite moment in the future to paint the baffling black so it is less visible...

Greetings Robin
Old 03-08-2015, 05:51 AM
Lifer

Ant follow-up reports on the plane. I'm still undecided and would like any additional thoughts.

Thanks!
Old 03-08-2015, 11:44 AM
[email protected]

Hi Lifer

I have now about 15 flights with the DGA-5. Not much to add, except that I have now a Special jig for rebending the landing gear in order to get it back to straight. Had some engibne Trouble with the installed Kolm 50 V3 and some engine outs on approach. Those loandings took their toll on the landing gear so I had to rebend it several times.
It is not a problem with the engine itself, just my lack of experience with any kind of combustion engines. (being an electric Flyer most of my RC career) But I am learning and getting there.

Anyway, I am thinking about a wire reinforcement for the landing gear to prevent so much bending on harder landings. Seems since the first bad landing (dead stick) it is deforming at much lower Forces.
Maybe I will order a replacement gear when I have gained some experience with e engine. Otherwise the plane is still an enjoyable flyer with no bad habits.

Hope this helps.
Greetings Robin
Old 03-08-2015, 01:15 PM
Lifer

Robin,

Thanks for the reply. It sounds like the structure has held up well if the gear bends and the wood doesn't break. Have you enjoyed its' flying qualities? What engine and prop are you using and is it's speed satisfying? Also, has the cowl held up? It looked a little flimsy in the videos.

Thanks for your time!
Old 03-12-2015, 11:36 AM
[email protected]

Hello Lifer

Sorry for the delayed answer. Been on a buisness trip.

Anyway, yes the structure is rather sturdy. And the cowl is everything but flimsy, it is actually a rather hefty piece of fiberglass. On the other Hand, as mentioned a few Posts above, the landing gear seems rather easy to bend. But that may be intentional as it is not sprung, and definitely needs the "bending" to prevent damage to the airframe.

As an engine I am using a Kolm four stroke 50cc gasser with a 22x10 Menz prop which, while it doesnt give any unlimited verticals, propelöls the plane at a good pace.

Greetings Robin.
Old 03-12-2015, 12:59 PM
Lifer

Thank you for the reply! I just sold a H-9 150-size P-47 and that will pay for most of the plane. I'll probably pull the trigger early next month.
Old 03-12-2015, 08:40 PM
Chad Veich

I know I've already provided my .02 cents Lifer but I wanted to add that I saw this same "Ike" again at the Gunsmoke Scale Masters qualifier a couple of weeks ago and I was just as impressed with it this time as last. If I did not already have way too many airplanes I would seriously have to consider this one. It is quite large, has a unique look, and appears to fly like a pattern ship. Of course I can't comment on the quality, not having owned one, but I have been impressed with what I have seen as a casual observer. About the only negative comment I would offer is that the paint on the fiberglass parts does not come close to matching the covering material. I would love to strip and refinish one as I think it could be turned into a really superb model with a quality finish. Anyway, I am always a bit leary of posting my opinion of airplanes that I have not personally owned for fear of leading somebody down the wrong path. I hope I am not sticking my foot in my mouth here but I don't think you will be disappointed if you pick one up.
Old 03-15-2015, 11:00 AM
[email protected]

Hello Chad

While I am, as an European, not completely aquainted with the term "pattern ship", I still assume that this does mean an airplane that does fly the classic dynamic aerobatic program. If this is the case, I can opnly agree to your comment wholeheartedly.

The plane is really stable platform that does all ist maneuvers with grace and isnt bothered much by the prevailing winds. Actually it does like some wind, especially during landings. Without winds the landings have to be timed carefully as the plane tends to float much further than anticipated.
I am still doing Trials on using the ailerons as flaperons (I.e. deflecting them upwards a bit) during landings. Usually this prevents bouncing landings, but up to now I am still trying. Last fall I was at 8 mm deflection, but I wasnt completely satisfied then, Not that the fyling season starts again, I will go up to 12mm (1/2") and see if it does decrese the "float" during landings.

Greetings Robin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.