Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

Corsair with DLA 128 4 Cylinder Build

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Corsair with DLA 128 4 Cylinder Build

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 07:05 PM
Thunderthud1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great Advise, thank you! I need to get some hysol so I can make and glue the baffle to the front of the cowl. I was going to try to do a first maiden flight this weekend but I want to make the baffle first to be sure I wont over heat. The rest of the plane is ready to fly. What type and brand of paint did you paint your Engine baffling with?

Last edited by Thunderthud1; 11-01-2015 at 09:51 AM.
Old 12-20-2015, 04:17 AM
BOLTMAN
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Lou,
I am looking at building a Corsair the same size as yours and considering the 128 for power. How much flying time have you got on yours now and what are your thoughts on this engine now with more time on it?
Enjoyed the video & your flying.
Cheers
Mick
Old 12-20-2015, 04:54 AM
BOLTMAN

Double post
Old 12-20-2015, 09:24 AM
flyn2high
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Mick:

I’ve been flying it as much as I can. I must have about 25 flights on it now. It was a great flying plane to begin with but since I dialed in the iGyro it is really fun to fly. Most Corsairs including the full size have a signature tail wiggle. I think it may be due to the bent wings. In any case now it flies straight and true with no wiggle. Landings are very easy as long as give a bit of power and hold off coming down too quickly. The best thing I can say about flying it is it is amazing in cross wind conditions.

As I mentioned before the engine is really sweet and sounds awesome. I am amazed that it runs so cool. I plan to be going to the Top Gun event this spring and I am defiantly taking the Corsair. You can always expect a bit of blistering heat and wicked cross wind conditions so this will be a good candidate. I go down with my buddy Dave Wigley who is very competitive. For me I am there for the fun of it and fly in one of the lower classes.
In Long Island up to last week the weather has been very warm for this time of year. Maybe next week will be another opportunity to fly it again before the winter really sets in.

If you do go ahead with it and have any questions I will try and help.
Old 12-21-2015, 06:28 AM
BOLTMAN

Hi Lou,
Thanks for the info! I am weighing up between a Saito FG84 radial or the DLA 4 cylinder. The saito sounds great but I am worried about power and reliability with it. The DLA seems a much simpler solution with buckets of power and the ability to swing a nice big prop.
I have flown a friend's Z Corsair about 18 years ago and it was a fun machine, especially as it only weighed 25lb. My thoughts on the tail wiggle is that the vertical fin is too small.
Good luck with your Corsair at Top Gun, that event is something I would love to do but it's a massive effort from Australia!
Cheers
Mick
Old 12-24-2015, 12:42 PM
flyn2high

Hi Mick:

The Sato Radial sounds neat like a 5 cylinder Moki but I think it may be better suited to the smaller Hanger 9 Corsair. It is roughly equivalent to a DA50 in power. Probably the best engine from a power and economy standpoint would be a DA or 3W 85 for the Ziroli Corsair. I know Nick Sr. used a Zenoah G62 in his but the choices were limited back then. I was more concerned with vibration and having a cool sound with my choice of the DLA-128.

I am surprised at the very light weight of your friends Corsair at only 25 lbs. Mine has the fiberglass fuselage and some extra scale details so it is a bit on the heavy side at 46 lbs. I can’t really blame the engine for the weight as I still needed a bit more nose weight to balance out.

My son lives in Brisbane and I’ve been there 5 times now. I flew RC in Tingalpa model air field which is very nice. I know you live further north so it is must be very hot in your summer.

Every year at Top Gun there is a crew that we hang out with from Sidney and New Zealand. They are a lot of fun.
Old 12-28-2015, 03:04 AM
BOLTMAN

G'day Lou!
Thats cool that you visit Oz, the field at Tingalpa is a nice facility. I have flown there several times including our National Championships this year for scale.
The more I look into the Saito the less keen I am. It's looking more and more like the DLA might be the go. Ideally I would love a Moki, but hard to justify the cost. The DLA 4 cylinder gets away from the common single cylinder sound but without too much expense and complication.
Sounds like from Top Gun you must know Greg Tracey? He is my cousin and it was his father who was resposible for getting us both into modelling. As I mentioned I am keen to get to Top Gun at some stage so maybe we will meet up some day. Thanks for the info & please keep us posted on how your DLA continues to perform.
Cheers!
Mick
Old 05-23-2016, 04:54 PM
flyn2high

Top Gun was fantastic this year. The wind was low and the weather was great. I hung out with Dave Wigley and Peter Goldsmith of Horizon Hobbies. While I was there I went out to dinner with Peter’s good friend Juan Pablo Montoya from Indy and NASCAR racing fame. Juan Pablo is also an RC Jet enthusiast and a regular guy.

Peter took first place in Expert and received the huge Mr. Top Gun trophy flying his F104. Dave Wigley won the event 4 years in a row. Dave is currently working on an F18 for a future top gun. This year he flew one his older models a Roy Vaillancourt design Tempest and came in 4[SUP]th[/SUP] place. I flew my Corsair in Sportsman and came in 6[SUP]th[/SUP] place. Here are a few photos from the event.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1251-Edit.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	1.90 MB
ID:	2163998   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0421_JPG.jpg
Views:	476
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	2163999   Click image for larger version

Name:	Corsair David Hart.jpg
Views:	569
Size:	264.4 KB
ID:	2164000   Click image for larger version

Name:	Juan Pablo.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	2164001   Click image for larger version

Name:	P5010335.JPG
Views:	438
Size:	567.8 KB
ID:	2164002   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1251-Edit - Copy.jpg
Views:	444
Size:	252.1 KB
ID:	2164003  
Old 05-23-2016, 08:31 PM
BOLTMAN

Hi Lou,
Great to hear all went well for you at Top Gun. Those are some fantastic photos you have posted.

Greg T reported that he liked the sound of the 4 cylinder DLA. I have actually picked up a Moki 150 so when I eventually get around to a Corsair I will likely use that.

Cheers!

Mick