Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

Lanier 30% Staudacher S-300

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Lanier 30% Staudacher S-300

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 05:35 PM
bdog1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lanier 30% Staudacher S-300

Hey Guy's : I am nearing completion of a restoration project on a 96" Lanier 30% S-300 Staudacher that was given to me by a friend.
The plane had been left in a place where rain and critter's had been having their way with it.
I have dried it out, removed the covering, the animal nests, re glued loose joints and replaced /reinstalled material chewed by small woodland creatures.
I am getting ready to recover it shortly and while the cowl and canopy are usable they show a lot of wear and tear.
I am hoping to find new replacements to complete the restoration and match the quality of the rest of rebuild .

If anyone has either of these parts or can suggest direct replacements that would work Please let me know.

Happy New Year to All !
Mike
Old 12-31-2014, 10:35 PM
iflyjr
My Feedback: (19)

Fiberglass Specialties
Old 01-03-2015, 06:54 AM
bdog1

Great ifly - I see that they sell the cowl.
Now I need to find a canopy,
The one design aircraft seem to be of a similar shape ,I will do some measuring.
I am kicking myself, TBM put all their spare canopy parts on sale around a year ago and the prices were dirt cheap : I knew I should have stocked up but I was not into the bigger stuff at that point .
Old 01-03-2015, 08:20 AM
Truckracer

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

bdog1, like you I have an older Staudacher that is being restored slowly. It is still flyable though so the work is being done in stages. My canopy is still serviceable but I have been looking for a replacement for some time now. No success so far and I might have to look around for something as a substitute. I'll be watching this thread to see if any turn up. In the day, this was one of my favorite airplanes but you just don't see Staudachers of any kind these days. Good luck with your restoration project.
Old 01-04-2015, 02:32 PM
bdog1

Thanks for the reply Truckracer : Fiberglass specialties has cowls for the Staudacher but no canopies listed .
I am told that Lanier also made a Extra that same size and F.S. lists canopies for it so I will be giving them a call to see if they used the same for the S-300.,seems like I should be able to make it work.
I have heard good reports on the flying quality of the Staudacher, was told that the one I have was a little nose heavy with a G-62 up front so I have spent some time with a hole saw and have removed around 3.oz out of the engine box .
Should be ready for recovering in a week or 2.
Old 01-04-2015, 04:09 PM
Truckracer

bdog, I also have the big Lanier Extra and the canopies are quite a bit different. I'm just bringing the Staud in from the garage tonight so will look it over carefully to see if the canopy is similar to anything else I have around here. I agree, there has to be something out there that can be adapted to work.

I found a new kit up in Minnesota but during negotiations on the price, the guy stopped responding. I don't know what happened with that. A local friend also has a new, framed up Staudacher that I'm also considering. Though not 3D planes, these were good old birds!
Old 01-04-2015, 05:00 PM
iflyjr

I had one with a 3w80 twin. Not 3d but it flew great. I have one that was wrecked and I picked it up not sure about the canopy I will check.

Tim
Old 01-04-2015, 07:29 PM
Truckracer

Default Lanier canopies

I have attached a few photos of the Lanier Staudacher (orange) and Extra 300 (Red) canopies. They are quite different both in shape and size. The Extra is overall quite a bit larger with a bit different shape but maybe that isn't a bad thing. I think a guy might be able to build up a canopy base from wood using the existing base then cut down the clear part of the available Extra canopy to fit the formers. The shape wouldn't be exact but I think it could look OK. If it is all I could get, I'd sure try it if I needed a canopy. Take a look and see what you think.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Canopies 4.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	2060968   Click image for larger version

Name:	Canopies 1.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	2060969   Click image for larger version

Name:	Canopies 2.JPG
Views:	162
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	2060970   Click image for larger version

Name:	Canopies 3.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	2060971  
Old 01-05-2015, 05:09 PM
bdog1

This is very helpful !
I am sure I could cut a larger canopy down and make it work but would be better to find or make the proper one....
Might have to make a mold to try and vacuum form one ,I have done smaller canopies and cowls but nothing close to this size.
I like the challenge of learning new techniques or applying old ones differently in a new application .
Truck your canopy is in much better shape than mine
Old 02-04-2015, 09:21 PM
iflyjr

Not sure if you found a canopy. I have one in pretty good shape it is tinted.

Tim
Old 02-05-2015, 05:37 PM
bdog1

Hey Tim :
No I have not found a replacement canopy yet .
Would you be interested in selling the one you have or a trade ?
Mike
Old 02-05-2015, 06:16 PM
iflyjr

I will take some pictures of it.

Tim
Old 02-06-2015, 01:52 PM
paulrcpilot-RCU
My Feedback: (32)

Check with PCK kit cutters they carry the pro-line kits and carry canopies for an Extra 300 and a Edge in the approx size you need. Paul
Old 02-07-2015, 11:18 AM
bdog1

PIc's would be good Tim

Thanks Paul ,I will check them out