Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

Sig 1/4 Scale Cub Repair

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Sig 1/4 Scale Cub Repair

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 11:40 AM
flyingagin

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

This is an old picture Around November 2012
Do I win for messiest?
So if mess = build finish then I should be a genius. But alas I darn sure know better than that. Far down on that scale

Ken
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2252.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	1.81 MB
ID:	2082994  
Old 03-21-2015, 11:41 AM
Cub Flyer Fresno

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by acerc
He can't work enough overtime to afford me! LOL!!
You speak the truth Robert. I think I have a big gopher hole in my bank account or something. Or maybe the wife is just spending it all. Truth be known, even with all the OT I'm still living practically check to check! SHEESH!

Originally Posted by John_M_
LoL... I have seen some amazing / talented builders over the years, and the more mess and clutter there is, the better looking the finished model turned out... CFF you must have one heck of a mess over there.

John M,
If only that were true John, if only!
Old 03-21-2015, 02:39 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quality of one's shop is by no means an expression of their build talents. And there is a major difference in quality build clutter and someone whom does not know what they are doing or care about the outcome. Builders like Anthony, Vincent, and Kevin display quality build clutter.
Old 03-21-2015, 03:58 PM
flyingagin

Agreed
Just wanted to show how bad it could get.
Had just moved in the apartment complex and no place to put any thing so I just piled till I could organize.

I had a plane in build (my avatar plane), but it obviously was on hold for a month or so.

At the moment I am using a corner of mom's garage, But I am getting it to the point I can very quickly and easily move it all to our storage. And other than power be able to work in there. An 800 watt Harbor Freight power inverter would let me run my tools. Just star the car to run tools. $50

I have to add 2 legs to the piece behind the desk I build on. Remove the top tool chest on the Kennedy tool chest and replace with a shelve big enough to hold my power tools and the entire build area can be moved to our storage unit and stay usable.

Ken

Name:	IMG_20150115_171809255.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	3.52 MB
ID:	2083057  
Old 03-22-2015, 02:29 PM
Cub Flyer Fresno

Although Robert knows the clutter I can get, this post is about my repair job. Take a look. Can you tell where it was damaged? The bottom is complete, the top has been clear coated and awaits the aluminum "wing joint" strip and top window. Getting the old NC decal goo off took a little elbow grease using Goo Gone and alcohol. The stuff came off more less like booger glue (that stuff on the back of your credit cards and what not). The Goo Gone wasn't the complete answer unless i'm doing something wrong. Anyway, it's done now.

On to the struts and then to HD to pick up some paint to touch up the nose of the fuse and paint the struts when they are rebuilt. And now, for your viewing pleasure... and to prove to Robert that I actually did it...

Name:	Img_1551.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	2083374   Click image for larger version

Name:	Img_1550.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	2083375   Click image for larger version

Name:	Img_1553.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	2083376  
Old 03-22-2015, 02:48 PM
flyingagin

What repair? I cant' see no repair!

Dang good job. I blew the pic up and still could not tell.
Something for me aim for on next repair.

Ken
Old 03-22-2015, 03:25 PM
Melchizedek

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Wing looks great, how's the guys leg ?

Great save, David

Kevin
Old 03-22-2015, 03:31 PM
Cub Flyer Fresno

Originally Posted by Melchizedek
The Wing looks great, how's the guys leg ?

Great save, David

Kevin
As I look at it, bones can heal themselves! Planes can't! JUST KIDDING! (Not really) From that injury, he is doing fine. Before this ever happened though, he was diagnosed with a spot on his lung, this just aggravated the situation. I'm just lucky he is a strong Christian man, and no matter what happens, it is well with his soul!

(Oh, it wasn't his leg. He was kneeling at the time. It was his ribs that got bruised.)
Old 03-22-2015, 04:09 PM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Dave,
Nice job on the repair. Now if we can just keep our Cub's in one piece this summer.
Later!!
Anthony
Old 03-22-2015, 04:29 PM
Cub Flyer Fresno

Thanks Anthony, that means something coming from one of you guys, the top builders IMHO!

About the Solartex which I know you like so well... or was that the other way... It did make the repair real easy, came off nicely and went back on very easily. And since I didn't go all out as you did, I'm happy.

So this was my first build, scale anyway, and it is now my first scale repair job as well. I'm learning! For my Stinson though, I am very seriously considering the Stits, take it to the next level as it were. It will cost me a bit more but I'm sure the end product will be well worth it!
Old 03-22-2015, 05:08 PM
spaceworm

Originally Posted by Cub Flyer Fresno
Thanks Anthony, that means something coming from one of you guys, the top builders IMHO!

About the Solartex which I know you like so well... or was that the other way... It did make the repair real easy, came off nicely and went back on very easily. And since I didn't go all out as you did, I'm happy.

So this was my first build, scale anyway, and it is now my first scale repair job as well. I'm learning! For my Stinson though, I am very seriously considering the Stits, take it to the next level as it were. It will cost me a bit more but I'm sure the end product will be well worth it!
Very nice work, both with the original build and with the expert repair.
I have used both Koverall with dope, and Solartex with clear top coat, and find no faults with either. However, I know my limits and do not strive for scale appearance. What do you find are the advantages of the Stits process, especially since your admitting it would cost more for it? Thanks and enjoy your Sig Cub, I enjoy mine very much.
Sincerely, Richard
Cub Brotherhood #187; Sig 1/4 (Koverall/dope), H9 100 inch (Gen 1) (Solartex/?), GB Anniv Cub (NIB)
Club Saito #635; Saito 56, 100, 120abc, 130T, 180
Sig Kougar, Sig 1/4 Cub, Sig 1/4 Spacewalker II
Old 03-22-2015, 05:17 PM
Cub Flyer Fresno

Uh... er... the advantages? Uh... well I haven't used it yet, but from talking to Robert and Anthony, it sounds like a pretty solid product. The covering itself isn't that expensive, really reasonable from what I've seen, it's the rest of the process, the sealers and paint that cost a bit more. Granted, I could have gone with a high quality paint on the Solartex but elected not to and just used the Cub Yellow. That made it SUPER easy! And it's really not that bad if you don't mind seeing right through it. So cost wise, if I had used a good paint, it would have cost me a bunch more just because of the price of Solartex. Oh, don't forget the Sig Stix It as well. From talking to Robert, it makes ironing on the Stits a whole lot easier.

Now you know just about all I do about Stits.
Old 03-22-2015, 06:32 PM
acerc

I for one have to say the repair is undetectable, excellent work David.
Old 03-23-2015, 11:31 AM
Cub Flyer Fresno

Thanks Robert! I'm happy with it too.

I'm hoping I can get to the struts this week. My job will determine that.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:17 PM
Cub Flyer Fresno

Over the last couple days, between work and cycling, I got started on the struts. I cut the ends off the bent struts and extracted the end pieces. That was harder than I thought it would be, them suckers wanted to stay in there! Makes me feel even better about the design. I got one end of each strut assemble with JB Weld and a brass pin/rivet. Then I'll cut them to length and do the other end. Although I'm not sure when, got to see the wife off on a vacation with her mom.

Now for the proof Robert needs, here is one photo. (Not of my mother-in-law!)

Name:	Img_1554.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	156.9 KB
ID:	2084611  
Old 03-28-2015, 06:23 AM
spaceworm

Originally Posted by Cub Flyer Fresno
Over the last couple days, between work and cycling, I got started on the struts. I cut the ends off the bent struts and extracted the end pieces. That was harder than I thought it would be, them suckers wanted to stay in there! Makes me feel even better about the design. I got one end of each strut assemble with JB Weld and a brass pin/rivet. Then I'll cut them to length and do the other end. Although I'm not sure when, got to see the wife off on a vacation with her mom.

Now for the proof Robert needs, here is one photo. (Not of my mother-in-law!)
Some have strengthened the aluminum streamline tube with either a dowel or music wire to help against bending. just a thought. Toni Clark has stainless steel streamline tube. FWIW.
Sincerely, Richard
Cub Brotherhood #187; Sig 1/4 (Koverall/dope), H9 100 inch (Gen 1) (Solartex/?), GB Anniv Cub (NIB)
Club Saito #635; Saito 56, 100, 120abc, 130T, 180
Old 03-28-2015, 06:27 AM
Cub Flyer Fresno

From my experience, nothing extra was needed. It took running into something (or in my case, someone) to bend the tubing. If it worked once... Thanks for the tips though, they are always appreciated!
Old 03-28-2015, 07:13 AM
acerc

You are so right CFF, the struts normally only see a pulling force, it is us that create a sideways force.
Old 03-28-2015, 09:40 AM
spaceworm

Originally Posted by acerc
You are so right CFF, the struts normally only see a pulling force, it is us that create a sideways force.
For a properly built and equipped plane all crash issues are us "creating a...force". I think strengthening this area is a good idea. I don't understand why you don't.

Sincerely, Richard
Old 03-28-2015, 10:01 AM
Cub Flyer Fresno

As I see it, during a crash something is going to get broken. (Duh!) If they had been any stronger I could envision more damage being done to the wing. As they were I am very happy to see how they handled the incident. What it really boils down to is "to each their own".
Old 03-28-2015, 10:12 AM
acerc

Originally Posted by spaceworm
For a properly built and equipped plane all crash issues are us "creating a...force". I think strengthening this area is a good idea. I don't understand why you don't.

Sincerely, Richard
Where did I say I don't, the aluminum struts are an increase of strength over the wood ones that came with the kit, so I apparently agreed with that move.. There is a point where some would strengthen so far beyond need that it becomes ridiculous, I don't understand that. I subscribe to building them for good flight not for bulldozing someone off the runway! I also don't understand arguing on a point that is of an opinion.

Last edited by acerc; 03-28-2015 at 11:41 AM.
Old 03-28-2015, 01:18 PM
John_M_

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

CFF, if you want to add I little more resilience to those K&S struts, you can get some of the expanding insulating foam, the stuff in the spray can... just fill the strut and let it expand , remove the excess and then insert your end pieces.. shouldn't add much weight, but it will give them some extra compression rigidity... I doubt you need it, its the job of the jury strut to take some of the negative G forces... the repair came out very nice.

John M,
Old 03-28-2015, 02:07 PM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

spaceworm,
The advantages of the Stits process is strength and durability.

You never have to re-shrink the fabric. Also it is much stronger than Solartex and holds much tighter. Try covering a test panel with Solartex and then peel it off. It barely sticks to the frame work. I was amazed at how easy it was to strip my 1/3 Cub of Solartex. The Stits process is much more work than Solartex but it will far outlast Solartex IMO. Unpainted Solartex is also a bear to keep clean. It will hold dirt and grime. The Poly-Tone paints give you a nice slick finish that is easy to keep clean.

It is all a matter of personal preference.
Anthony
Old 03-28-2015, 02:32 PM
acerc

And what one is willing to do or don't want to do.
Yes, Stits is more work. But it looks as good five years later as it did the day it was finished. I know that because my little Waco is five years old and still as good as new.

Last edited by acerc; 03-28-2015 at 02:34 PM.
Old 03-28-2015, 07:24 PM
Cub Flyer Fresno

Yes Anthony, I'll probably give it a try on the Stinson. Having chosen the Pepsi motif, I do want it to look good and there's no doubt in my mind that the Stits can do that. And by the way, as far as re-shrinking it, I haven't had to do it yet, although the plane is still relatively young. And it is sealed with a clear coat, so keeping it clean... well it's not spotless but I'm sure it would have been a lot worse unsealed!

Now for the struts: They have been reconstructed. It was a heck of a lot easier the second time that it was the first! The end pieces were already made, all I had to do was cut them out of the old tubing and plug them into the new tubing. It may be a week or so before I can get to HD to get the paint that I need. I really hoping the OT will let up a while at work, maybe just this next week. I have to work tomorrow as well, on Palm Sunday no less! I guess that's better than on Easter Sunday.

Name:	Img_1555.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	2084848  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.