Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Bulldog build

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 01:12 PM
flyingagin

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I have been using these to power both RX and TX (TX @ bottom of page) http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id=C2116942

Have not tried these, but have heard good about them http://www.valuehobby.com/power-syst...ries/life.html

You want a 10c discharge or better for RX

Ken

Last edited by flyingagin; 03-29-2015 at 01:15 PM.
Old 03-29-2015, 01:33 PM
ArcadeAir

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stevegauth30
So, are you trying to venture into gassers ? Speaking for myself, I use LIFE batteries. No regulator needed.
I will have a gasser! I have been in the hobby for close to a year now and I am gaining more and more flying experience and I think I am ready... I have to finish up 2 projects, then a liquid fueled plane.

I will certainly consider LIFE batteries. No regulator and easy on the wallet also. Thanks for the input.
Old 03-29-2015, 02:32 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ArcadeAir
That is correct. I have electric motors on my planes and I am good with that aspect, but I would feel warm and fuzzy if I used the power system that builders such as yourselves use for the receiver. Even the brand name of your components would help me out.
I am leaning toward a 2s LIPO for the battery and a 5 or 10 amp SBEC for regulation.
Do you have preferences? Even your favorite servo manufacturer would be great for me to know.
Thanks!
Well, in that case, I use Fromeco LiFe batteries and anything 60cc and smaller I only run one for both ign and Rx. I have for the last year or two been using Savox servos with great results. As for the SBEC, no regulation is needed with LiFe. I would recommend an IBEC for the ign, I use either the Tech-Aero or the RCEXCELL, these will give you an emergency engine kill.

Last edited by acerc; 03-29-2015 at 02:36 PM.
Old 03-29-2015, 03:12 PM
acerc

Whilst waiting to go to the electronics store tomorrow I have done a little work on this one. The choke and throttle arms have been made as well as the linkage. The brass pieces will get soldered in place so not to be dependent on just the screw.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	001.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	270.6 KB
ID:	2084983   Click image for larger version

Name:	002.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	257.7 KB
ID:	2084984  
Old 03-29-2015, 03:52 PM
squirrly
My Feedback: (3)

Nice work Rob, little by little this build is coming together fantastic!!
Gary from Decal-it said he's finishing up with the graphics and should be mailed out tomorrow.
Jeff
Old 03-29-2015, 03:56 PM
flyingagin

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Ya know it some swwweeeeeet work if Robert does it

Ken
Old 03-29-2015, 04:02 PM
stevegauth30

AA, I'm sure you would anyway, but before you actually get started in gas, head over to the gas engine forum in the giant scale section. There you'll find lots of info for first time gassers. Stuff you need to know. Good luck with it.
Old 03-29-2015, 04:26 PM
Melchizedek

Robert,

Question with the IBEC

Looking at Tech-Aero site. It looks like IBEC and then Ignition are powered via the receiver?
So I am thinking 1 battery ? And when 2 battery it goes thru receiver also ?

Kevin
Old 03-29-2015, 04:33 PM
acerc

Originally Posted by Melchizedek
Robert,

Question with the IBEC

Looking at Tech-Aero site. It looks like IBEC and then Ignition are powered via the receiver?
So I am thinking 1 battery ? And when 2 battery it goes thru receiver also ?

Kevin
It can be one battery through the Rx. What I do is have Fromeco put two outlets on the battery, one goes through a switch to the Rx, and the other goes through a switch to the IBEC and then to the ignition. This way the Rx can be turned on without activating the ignition.
Old 03-29-2015, 04:38 PM
acerc

Originally Posted by squirrly
Nice work Rob, little by little this build is coming together fantastic!!
Gary from Decal-it said he's finishing up with the graphics and should be mailed out tomorrow.
Jeff
Thank you!
He email's me his progress and the correspondence between the two of you.
Originally Posted by flyingagin
Ya know it some swwweeeeeet work if Robert does it

Ken
Thank you!
Originally Posted by stevegauth30
AA, I'm sure you would anyway, but before you actually get started in gas, head over to the gas engine forum in the giant scale section. There you'll find lots of info for first time gassers. Stuff you need to know. Good luck with it.
It would be much better if you would find someone at a club that would assist you. The gas forum can be as confusing as it is helpful. I use to try to help guys out with their gas issues but there are just to many that post things I don't agree with and I'm not fighting about it.
Old 03-29-2015, 04:40 PM
acerc

The exhaust parts have been brazed together.

Name:	003.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	337.1 KB
ID:	2085023  
Old 03-29-2015, 05:00 PM
squirrly

This is going to be a BEAST!!! Unlimited vertical and a sound that is just as Amazing!!
Nice work Bro...
Jeff
Old 03-29-2015, 05:53 PM
John_M_

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by acerc
It can be one battery through the Rx. What I do is have Fromeco put two outlets on the battery, one goes through a switch to the Rx, and the other goes through a switch to the IBEC and then to the ignition. This way the Rx can be turned on without activating the ignition.
It would be much better if you would find someone at a club that would assist you. The gas forum can be as confusing as it is helpful. I use to try to help guys out with their gas issues but there are just to many that post things I don't agree with and I'm not fighting about it.
I agree about "not fighting about it"... everyone has their ideas... so what I'm saying isn't to sir any problems, just the way "I" see it.. the problem I see with one battery for both the receiver and ignition is, the total current draw from both, especially if you're including the servos sharing the same battery power supply as well... at full throttle, while flying hard aerobatics, your current draw can be quite high, several hundred milliamps... I'm not one to push a battery hard, so I use separate battery paks for the the ignition, receivers, and servo buss... those a123 Lithium Ion cells are lite enough to have separate paks, I actually use a combination of A123 and NMhi paks, depending on which servos I'm using... but I always run a separate battery for the ignition and a opti ignition kill.... the added weight is very small, and you're not pushing the individual paks no where near as hard if using just the one battery pak.

John M,
Old 03-29-2015, 05:57 PM
stevegauth30

Your right ace, that's the best advice. I guess I was more referring to the sticky with the basic info one would really want to know.
Old 03-29-2015, 05:59 PM
acerc

John, I ran dual batteries for years. Until one day I decided to start testing the systems for amp draw, that is when I realized the systems do not draw the amps we always thought they did. The 46% Pitts with all nine (240oz in) servos operating simultaneously as well as stalling a couple servos the highest amp draw was 1.2amps. That is nothing for todays systems and batteries.
To date my Ultimate, Waco, Profile, small Pitts, and the latest ARF Pitts have been running one battery. The average battery drain per flight is 180mah from a 2600mah battery.

Last edited by acerc; 03-29-2015 at 06:05 PM.
Old 03-29-2015, 06:00 PM
acerc

The smoke system is in, need some silicone to wrap it up.

Name:	004.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	311.1 KB
ID:	2085059  
Old 03-29-2015, 06:17 PM
squirrly

When you mentioned how you wrapped copper tubing around the headers to warm up the smoke oil for better burn off and increase in smoke. I thought that was a great idea. I'm glad you did it.
Jeff
Old 03-29-2015, 06:32 PM
squirrly

Robert, I sent you a PM.
Jeff
Old 03-29-2015, 07:04 PM
John_M_

John, I ran dual batteries for years. Until one day I decided to start testing the systems for amp draw, that is when I realized the systems do not draw the amps we always thought they did. The 46% Pitts with all nine (240oz in) servos operating simultaneously as well as stalling a couple servos the highest amp draw was 1.2amps. That is nothing for todays systems and batteries.
To date my Ultimate, Waco, Profile, small Pitts, and the latest ARF Pitts have been running one battery. The average battery drain per flight is 180mah from a 2600mah battery.
Is that 180mah including the Ignition system draw as well? or probably on a glow fuel model... that I could live with on a single battery.

Most single cylinder CDI ignition systems will draw about 400 mah at 6000 rpm... call me overly cautious, but I like to keep the draw well under an amp continuous... average is about 300-400 mah on the ignition battery sport flying... without the servos drawing off the receivers, the rec's probably consume very little current off their battery maybe 200 mah with 2 receivers running, but that's the whole idea... then the servos can draw what they need off the their power buss, I usually run NMhi on the servo buss... the battery technology has improved, but I guess I'm still running scared from the days of Nicads, I feel better with separate paks.

John M,
Old 03-29-2015, 07:16 PM
acerc

Yes, that is a total of both the ignition and Rx, and those are ten minute flights. I check the batteries after a day of flying and so far have not ran over half the batteries capacity. This is how I do it and does not mean anyone else has to do the same, odds are most won't. I test all my systems annually, usually January, replace all batteries, and tend to what ever needs attention.
And just a little FYI, according to Futaba their receivers are rated to 15 amp.

Last edited by acerc; 03-29-2015 at 07:18 PM.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:58 PM
John_M_

That's not bad for a days flying... I usually get maybe 4,5 flights on a Saturday, but I'll top up the batteries after two flights... I've always err on the side of caution, but that's what we had to do back when I first got into the hobby, old habits never die.

The R7008sb receivers draws 75mah with telemetry, but that's still not that much... the HV servos would draw more as well... but you're right, as long as you keep a good eye on things, it shouldn't really matter which setup you run... I do the same and chuck out the batteries at the end of the season, its cheap insurance.

That's a clever idea Ace, super heating the smoke oil before it goes into the exhaust manifold... the build is coming along very nice!

John M,
Old 03-30-2015, 06:52 AM
ArcadeAir

Thank you all for the very informative discussion. There is always more than one way to skin a cat and i guess it comes down to doing things in a way that fits your comfort level.
I Joined AMA and my card is in the mail and i am joining a local club too. Ill have contact with others that fly gassers, so I will be getting more exposure to that.

The build is just incredible. I am hooked!
Old 03-30-2015, 06:58 AM
ArcadeAir

Thank you all for the very informative discussion. There is always more than one way to skin a cat and i guess it comes down to doing things in a way that fits your comfort level.
I Joined AMA and my card is in the mail and i am joining a local club too. Ill have contact with others that fly gassers, so I will be getting more exposure to that.

The build is just incredible. I am hooked!
Old 03-30-2015, 07:16 AM
acerc

All there were when I got into this hobby was very low mah NiCd's, recharge after each flight. Then the NiCd's started having higher mah's and felt like the greatest thing since sliced bread. Then the NiMh's really boosted the flying time so it seemed until the LiFe, LiIon, and LiPo's. I have found the LiIon to be my favorite. Yes, they do need regulated for most components but the flight time's are unreal compared to days of old. Same goes for all the components, check out the load rating of an old servo compared to todays standard. Some talk of the good ole day's of yester year but to me the good ole day's are here and now. Forty to fifty years ago we had very little choice, today the choice's are limitless and far less expensive.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:31 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

All this talk about ignition systems and batteries brings one question to the surface that is slightly off topic. How do the new 2 cycle gassers using a glowplug worked compared to the comparable gas engines using an
ignition system? I know you can't get one big enough to power this Pitts but these new engines might be a way of baby stepping into gassers for old fossils like myself.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.