Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Bulldog build

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 11:48 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

As the bumper sticker read on the truck of a friend of mine "I love Model Airplane Noise!"
Old 01-24-2016, 06:21 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was asked on another forum where I get my ingots so I am posting the response on all my threads for those interested. I use the Lyman 1lb ingots for weights during building and occasionally have used them to balance an airframe. My supplier is John Errante, his email is [email protected], I usually get a 10lb package but I am sure one could get as many ingots as one wants. He is a great guy to deal with, the ingots are of the highest quality, and each ingot I have weighs 1lb.
Old 01-26-2016, 08:37 AM
FlyerInOKC

Because so many of us appreciate Robert's work I thought I would post a couple links to free Pitts plans iI came across recently.

This link is for a 1/3 scale Pitts S1-S 69" wingspan Engine 30cc to 60cc gas designed by Mark Smart out of the UK

http://aerofred.com/details.php?image_id=83361

This second link is for a 1/4 scale Ziroli designed Pitts Special that appeared in the defunct Radio Control Modeler magazine in the UK. Wingspan is 54" recommended engine size .60 to .90 2 stroke

http://aerofred.com/details.php?image_id=83363
Old 01-26-2016, 12:04 PM
John_M_

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Lead shot bags work nicely as well, they conform to the shape of the surface... you can get them in various weights used as diving weights...$3.99 for the 1 lb bags, you get a price break on quantities.

http://www.amazon.com/Sea-Pearls-Sof.../dp/B0034ZG9SA

John M,
Old 01-26-2016, 12:27 PM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by John_M_
Lead shot bags work nicely as well, they conform to the shape of the surface... you can get them in various weights used as diving weights...$3.99 for the 1 lb bags, you get a price break on quantities.

http://www.amazon.com/Sea-Pearls-Sof.../dp/B0034ZG9SA

John M,
What's shipping costs like?
Old 01-26-2016, 04:57 PM
acerc

I use the weighted bags as well but get mine from ankle weights, when on sale of course. Can usually get 10 bags for five bucks and usually the bags are 1.25lbs and/or 1.75lbs.
Old 01-26-2016, 06:22 PM
flyingagin

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Good tip Robert

Maybe I should not use 60lb bags of concrete anymore??????

Ken
Old 01-27-2016, 07:48 AM
FlyerInOKC

Having been accused of being tighter than bark on a tree I get my weight for free. I use old phone books I stash in the garage to weight down skins. They form fit and have no sharp edges except for the occasional paperc ut to the builder.
Old 01-27-2016, 11:14 AM
John_M_

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
What's shipping costs like?

All depends on how many you buy and the total weight... I bought 4 1 lb bags, shipping cost around 9 bucks, I don't remember exactly but it was reasonable.

Ace the ankle weights are a good Idea as well... you can also buy a 25 lb bag of lead shot from a gun shop and make up your own bags... a 25 lb bag of lead shot is around $39 bucks, cheaper if you get the reclaimed / recycled shot.... the chilled lead shot is denser, and a bit more expensive.

John M,
Old 01-27-2016, 11:17 AM
FlyerInOKC

All depends on how many you buy and the total weight... I bought 4 1 lb bags, shipping cost around 9 bucks, I don't remember exactly but it was reasonable.
Ace the ankle weights are a good Idea as well... you can also buy a 25 lb bag of lead shot from a gun shop and make up your own bags... a 25 lb bag of lead shot is around $39 bucks, cheaper if you get the reclaimed / recycled shot.... the chilled lead shot is denser, and a bit more expensive.

John M,
The problem around here is none of the local gun shops carry shot anymore. Now want something paramilitary and its everywhere you look. I guess there isn't any money in sports hunting for these guys.
Old 01-27-2016, 11:19 AM
John_M_

Originally Posted by flyingagin
Good tip Robert

Maybe I should not use 60lb bags of concrete anymore??????

Ken
That would definitely make the wings flat; literally !!

John M,
Old 01-27-2016, 11:29 AM
John_M_

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
The problem around here is none of the local gun shops carry shot anymore. Now want something paramilitary and its everywhere you look. I guess there isn't any money in sports hunting for these guys.
That's what I heard as well, but out here you can get shot locally from most gun shops... anyone who's into clay targeting makes / reloads their own shells.

John M,
Old 01-27-2016, 12:55 PM
flyingagin

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

That would definitely make the wings flat; literally !!

John M,
Well the foamies fly fine with flat plate airfoils
Old 01-27-2016, 02:26 PM
acerc

You guys sure know how to muck up a thread, 2 post airplane 20 BS.
Old 01-27-2016, 04:09 PM
tmac48

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by acerc
That put an end to it!

tmac48
Old 01-27-2016, 07:00 PM
acerc

I left RCU for two reasons, one being it is slow and lethargic, two is the vast amount of filler.
Old 01-28-2016, 05:19 AM
FlyerInOKC

We do have a tendency to ramble.
Old 01-28-2016, 12:48 PM
John_M_

I left RCU for two reasons, one being it is slow and lethargic, two is the vast amount of filler.

"Muck up the thread", I was just responding to your post regarding the lead ingots... I made a comment to flyingagin's comical post about using 60 lb bags of concrete... we're just chit-chatting really... since you finished suirrly's pitts build, the thread has died down to general chatting while we wait for more commentary from squirrly about the maiden flight and more pictures, video, etc.

"Vast amount of filler", hope you're referring to the Ad's and not the side bar conversations or general chit-chat that may occur as things slow down between postings on the subject of the thread.

Its like ordering soup from the Soup Nazi, say something unrelated to soup "NO SOUP FOR YOU....NEXT!!!" ... that is the real BS, being told what to say and when to say it.

John M,

Last edited by John_M_; 01-28-2016 at 12:57 PM.
Old 01-28-2016, 02:35 PM
acerc

Not telling anyone what to say or not. Just making a comment same as any other and I am the OP. Now, if you are referring to me in any way as being Nazi'ish you can KMA. Like I said above, I left RCU to do build threads elsewhere because of the filler. Let me clarify what I mean by filler, most anything not related building model aircraft. There are those here that apparently like to share their life trouble's, anything from health to living conditions, as well as in general comment's meant to be good humor I am sure but unrelated to the thread. Your comments generally do fall into the category of within the threads topic and conversation derived therein. Now I don't count the OP for it is his thread and can discuss anything he so chooses, but elsewise it should remain related to the topic. As for a thread being dead or died down, they all do at some point. But if later someone comes along interested in the subject and looking for information for his own attempt will quickly abort the thread due to "To much filler", I know because I have done that myself.
Old 01-28-2016, 02:37 PM
acerc

And for the record, just because one has the right to speak does not mean he should. But unfortunately to many do not have the respect for others to keep his mouth shut!
Old 01-28-2016, 02:57 PM
acerc

And last but not least, apparently you have the right to refer to me as a Nazi but I don't have the right to refer to post as filler. Sounds like you are a fair and balanced guy, NOT!!!
Old 01-29-2016, 10:59 AM
John_M_

Ace, I wasn't referring to you as a Nazi, just the situation regarding keeping ones mouth shut, unless what he has to say is of the subject at hand and not wavering into idle chit-chat as peoples diversities of interest spark side bar comments, and innuendos... I was merely making a reference to one of the classic Jerry Seinfeld episodes "the Soup Nazi"... the owner of the soup kitchen wouldn't tolerate any chit-chat while waiting inline to order soup, if they were caught chatting amongst themselves, the owner of the kitchen would deny them soup and then tell them not to return for 3 days, and some were banned from ever returning; Elaine got the worst of it, because she confronted him, and he banned her from every getting soup again (NO SOUP FOR YOU !!), but then she ultimately got her revenge when she happened to come across all his soup recipes and put hm out of business... it was one of Jerry's better episodes.... there is an obvious moral to the story, if you haven't seen the episode, its definitely entertaining.

I don't know how one can expect a forum thread to stay on topic 100% of the time, especially when people who like social media, like to chew the fat sota-speak... even the OP has wavered many times from the subject at hand, during slow times... if one says (or type) something, there is bound to be somebody to make a response / reply, even if it is off topic... and being one of many with a sense of humor, we all get drawn into making silly responses... it usually last a brief period and then things return to normal... I guess if you haven't figuared it out, that is what happens on most open forums... rcscalebuilder is run kinda run like the soup kitchen, not quite as strict, but its a way of running a forum with member fees and minimal ad's, but a very talented bunch reside over there to say the least.

I guess you can caulk this one up to being another filler.

The rest of you lot enjoy yourselves, and watch your P's and Q's.

John M,

Last edited by John_M_; 01-29-2016 at 12:00 PM.
Old 01-29-2016, 12:20 PM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have not checked in for a while Robert but another beautiful job. If I ever come into big $ I will hire you as my personal airplane builder. Another good source of lead is tire dealers, You can get some of them to sell you their old weights. I also use wet sand in gallon and quart size ziplocs as well as the bird shot.
Old 02-01-2016, 05:54 AM
FlyerInOKC

So Robert has the building bug bitten yet?
Old 01-28-2018, 09:21 AM
acerc

Hello fellow flyers. When I was last here I was heading into a period of not so great. I pretty much left the hobby with exception to short visits. Having pressed through and now looking to getting back I started visiting all the old threads. On this thread I must apologize for my rather rude and uncalled for remarks. So to the gent's, especially JohnM, on page #40 I apologize!
As for the Bulldog built on this thread, I have heard absolutely nothing. Don't know if it had it's maiden, if the engine was at least ran, sold, stuck in storage, absolutely nothing.

Last edited by acerc; 01-28-2018 at 09:31 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.