Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

LiFe Batteries For 50cc Airplanes - Receiver

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

LiFe Batteries For 50cc Airplanes - Receiver

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 03:24 PM
skyarrow1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LiFe Batteries For 50cc Airplanes - Receiver

I have a few planes I am upgrading to LiFe batteries for the receiver... most ranging from 6-9 servers. The first question is about what size, I was thinking 1800-2100mAh, but was not sure if I should go higher. The second question, where do I find them, just about everyone is sold out of any size.

Thanks in advanced for any advice.

Mike
Old 03-16-2015, 04:05 PM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mike, fly one of your planes with the batteries you have installed. First peak charge the battery. Fly for ten minutes. Peak charge your battery when you land. Record the mah charged. Do this six times. The mah charged each time should be about the same. Add the six mah recorded. This is the mah you used for one hour of flying. If you fly for one hour each time you go out, double the number or even more for a safety factor. You can do the math if you fly for more or less than one hour. My 50cc planes consume 500ma for each hour and I use 2400mah NiCads. A little over kill. I don't know what kind of batteries you are using now but there is really no reason to switch to LiFes. They do put out a higher voltage than the Nickel based batteries. Make sure you RC can tolerate it before you use them. If it can't you will need a regulator. Dan.
Old 03-17-2015, 12:49 AM
skyarrow1

Thanks... still learning about batteries. This will really help with all my planes.

Mike
Old 03-17-2015, 05:16 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Get real A123 packs, I get them from WrongwayRC, Tail Dragger RC, there's others.

For all of my 50cc stuff I use a single A123 2500 pack and a Tech Aero IBEC to run the ignition and it doubles as a transmitter kill switch. I use around 350 mah per flight on my 3D stuff with all digital Savox or Hitec servos. Tow planes and scale stuff uses less.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:21 AM
Gtarling

+1 for real A123 packs!
Old 03-17-2015, 10:32 AM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Received 123 Likes on 106 Posts

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gian...-c-rating.html

Thanks to Zeeb I end up getting my batteries from WrongWay rc, I too began switching all my batts to LIFE, I got me two 1600 mah for my 27% Gee Bee Y, it only uses around 150 mah per 8 min flight. If I was to set it up with a single batt or the new way I would go with a single 2500 mah batt and an IBEC like my 30cc Citabria which I can fly for 15 min each flight.

Last edited by CARS II; 03-17-2015 at 10:42 AM.