Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

Large engine electric starter

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Large engine electric starter

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 12:15 PM
rtstestpilot
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Large engine electric starter

Hello all,

What do you guys use (other than hand flipping) your larger (100 to 400cc) engines with. Tried searching the net for vendors of larger handheld electric starters but am finding little information. Some of the starters I have found are no longer available. I am entertaining building one from an automotive starter if I can't find a manufactured model already available.

Thanks,
Todd
Old 04-16-2015, 04:52 PM
akouzmit

Drill based starter can handle 120cc for sure.
I had no opportynity yet to try it on larger gas engines.

http://vimeo.com/123553018

https://vimeo.com/122277583

Last edited by akouzmit; 04-16-2015 at 05:03 PM.
Old 04-16-2015, 05:02 PM
rtstestpilot

Yes, I use my 24v Lithium-Ion Rigid to start my G62s but wouldn't want to go much bigger than that with it - maybe up to 100cc. More interested in a better ergonomically designed (inline) starter with significantly more power and RPM. My drill is just fast enough but you had better get it off once the engine starts or it will actually stop the engine. A clutch mechanism to allow the spinner grip to free wheel/ accelerate is needed.
Old 04-16-2015, 05:12 PM
akouzmit

I was wondering about that as well, but with my OS GT60 installed on Inverza62 plane the engine starts in a split of a sec.
if I keep drill cone pushed longer for ~0.5 sec no issue as my drill max RPM is 2000 and motor is brushless with LiIon 20v battery.
Super powerful.
lage gasses tend to have lower idle RPM, thus drill with 2000 rpm will not stop them once they started at idle rpm.
i am waiting for pilots with 170cc and 220cc planes show up at our field to try my drill based starter.

Last edited by akouzmit; 04-16-2015 at 05:16 PM.
Old 04-16-2015, 05:15 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sullivan Products makes this one and it is capable of starting any engine we can use.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	S654_01.jpg
Views:	455
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	2089723  
Old 04-16-2015, 05:36 PM
rtstestpilot

I saw that product but haven't seen any competition for it. Surely there are others out there. I was wondering what you used Robert - I thought you might be strictly a hand prop'er. I've got an old ZDZ 210 that I'd like to get some airtime on in the somewhat near future and am trying to get the proverbial ducks in a row. I am looking forward to when you get back to your builds after the ceremony.
Old 04-19-2015, 07:04 AM
acerc

I have a small starter for up to 60cc and for the larger engines I use a 19.2 volt drill with a 3" starter cone. I like that Sullivan starter but not $500+ worth.
Old 04-19-2015, 08:34 AM
spaceworm

Originally Posted by rtstestpilot
Hello all,

What do you guys use (other than hand flipping) your larger (100 to 400cc) engines with. Tried searching the net for vendors of larger handheld electric starters but am finding little information. Some of the starters I have found are no longer available. I am entertaining building one from an automotive starter if I can't find a manufactured model already available.

Thanks,
Todd
Chrysler uses/used to use a reduction starter. It had a whine at initiation. I never looked at one, but it must be a smaller motor and maybe more compact for our uses. Based on my own limited experience with Chrysler cars, there musty be a zillion of them in the salvage yards.

Our field had 115 volt at the pavilions. I used an extension cord and my B&D 3/8 inch drill motor and started some big gassers that other dedicated starters wouldn't turn over. I used an appropriate sized hole cutter with the teeth ground off for safety with a standard rubber cone and chucked the arbor in the drill, tightened securely.

Best regards, Richard
Old 04-20-2015, 08:53 AM
rtstestpilot

I do basically the same thing Robert with the exception that I use my driver/drill with a drive cone chucked up for all my gasoline engines. I like the Sullivan but would like it a lot more with a lower price.

I have seen the gear reduction starters Richard and am looking into possibly making my own using one. I have found the range in weight to be between 6 and 11 pounds which isn't too bad. The question I have with one of these automotive starters is - does the small gear move on the shaft like a normal starter or does it only turn? Not sliding on the shaft would make modifying one for our purpose much easier. One of these starter can be picked up new for less than $100 and probably much less from a salvage yard.

Thanks for the input guys,
Todd
Old 04-21-2015, 08:03 AM
funnotcrazy

Where does the starter cone come from for the cordless drill setup?
Old 04-21-2015, 08:09 AM
spaceworm

Originally Posted by funnotcrazy
Where does the starter cone come from for the cordless drill setup?
I used an appropriate sized hole cutter with the teeth ground off for safety with a standard rubber cone and chucked the arbor in the drill, tightened securely.

Best regards, Richard
Old 04-21-2015, 08:11 AM
rtstestpilot

Or you can purchase them directly from the manufacturer or a supplier like Tower or have a machinist produce you one. Use a piece of all thread or a bolt with the head cut off for the shaft.

Last edited by rtstestpilot; 04-21-2015 at 08:14 AM. Reason: additional information
Old 04-21-2015, 08:25 AM
spaceworm

I just used my electric drill motor with a 3/8 inch drive 9/16 inch socket and extension to start my leaf blower. It is FU from ethanol laced gasoline, and would not pull start. The blower started after a few turns (ok, maybe 20), but then stalled. A few more attempts got it running, but since the blower, like our engines turns counter CW, the impact from the engine trying to start loosened the collet on the drill motor. First time that has happened. Now, the question is how do I get the collet tightened enough again to use it for blower starting? It must have been on really tight.

Thanks for any help.

Sincerely, Richard
Old 04-21-2015, 09:05 AM
rtstestpilot

I don't know about yours, but my drill's chuck has a screw on the inside (where the drill or shaft of any attachment goes) that prevents this. I guess if it doesn't have this type of fastening system you could always remove the chuck, clean the threads well, and apply red locktite and reassemble. May not completely eliminate the problem but should definitely cut down on the occurrences.
Old 04-21-2015, 09:07 AM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MORPOWER-sta...item3f4a852a91
Hello all,

Thanks,
Todd
The search took 30 seconds.
Old 04-21-2015, 12:03 PM
rtstestpilot

Flycatch, you use the Morpower brand starter or you just found it? I emailed them and they don't list or show any replacement parts but only state that once you show proof of ownership they will let you know what they have for repair or replacement parts - I was concerned with finding a replacement spinner grip since they do wear out. Sullivan is very upfront with their parts etc. and proudly display them for sale and availability - not so with Morpower.
Old 04-21-2015, 12:11 PM
spaceworm

Flycatch, you use the Morpower brand starter or you just found it? I emailed them and they don't list or show any replacement parts but only state that once you show proof of ownership they will let you know what they have for repair or replacement parts - I was concerned with finding a replacement spinner grip since they do wear out. Sullivan is very upfront with their parts etc. and proudly display them for sale and availability - not so with Morpower.
I have not actually seen a Chrysler (Mopar) starter, but is it just a coincidence that "Morpower" may be "Mo(pa)r+power" made from a Mopar starter?
Old 04-21-2015, 12:22 PM
spaceworm

Originally Posted by spaceworm
I have not actually seen a Chrysler (Mopar) starter, but is it just a coincidence that "Morpower" may be "Mo(pa)r+power" made from a Mopar starter?
$59.00 online (remanufactured)

Last edited by spaceworm; 04-21-2015 at 12:25 PM. Reason: added source and price
Old 04-21-2015, 12:42 PM
rtstestpilot

I don't believe so Richard, here is the website http://www.morpower.com.tw/RCairplane.html - they are in Taiwan and my communication with them is not giving me a warm and fuzzy feeling. I'm very leery about purchasing products like this when there is no foreseeable way to buy the consumables let alone repair or replacement parts. I'd feel much better if it was Mopar.

Todd
Old 04-21-2015, 04:11 PM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I just found it.
Old 04-21-2015, 04:38 PM
moparbarn

Default Another possibility to try

You might contact Boris Major at [email protected]. He makes a lipo powered starter for rc boats based on a Honda ATV starter. 3S @ 11.4 volts will start 52 cc gasoline inline twins. You can use 4S, if needed. The handle would need reconfigured to be both safe & practical for airplane use. He makes a piece to use either belt or cone start. He is a very interesting Russian man, & loves to invent useful tools for our hobbies. Worth a try, he would enjoy helping ya'll! I have one of the starters shown, awesome product, IMHO.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	post-11131-0-97368700-1415798914.jpg
Views:	2547
Size:	209.7 KB
ID:	2090984  
Old 04-21-2015, 04:49 PM
spaceworm

I have seen the gear reduction starters Richard and am looking into possibly making my own using one. ... The question I have with one of these automotive starters is - does the small gear move on the shaft like a normal starter or does it only turn? Not sliding on the shaft would make modifying one for our purpose much easier. ...
Todd
I didn't know, so I Googled up how starters work. It said that the old Bendix drive had the gear on a helical cut shaft. After the car engine started it would drive the starter gear down the helix and out of engagement with the flywheel. But, it said the Bendix drive is obsolete and more modern starters have a one way "sprag" drive that is like a one way clutch. So, the starter gear does not slide laterally on the starter shaft, which is good for our use. Good luck with your build.
Old 04-21-2015, 07:04 PM
rtstestpilot

Hello moparbarn,

I just may contact Mr. Major for a chat. My driver drill easily starts my 62cc engines and I'm confident that it will start up to 100cc but I'm needing a much more powerful starter for the large engines. I'm thinking about using a gear reduced automotive starter and basically doing the same thing that Boris is doing.[

Thanks,
Todd

QUOTE=moparbarn;12026615]You might contact Boris Major at [email protected]. He makes a lipo powered starter for rc boats based on a Honda ATV starter. 3S @ 11.4 volts will start 52 cc gasoline inline twins. You can use 4S, if needed. The handle would need reconfigured to be both safe & practical for airplane use. He makes a piece to use either belt or cone start. He is a very interesting Russian man, & loves to invent useful tools for our hobbies. Worth a try, he would enjoy helping ya'll! I have one of the starters shown, awesome product, IMHO.[/QUOTE]
Old 04-21-2015, 07:10 PM
rtstestpilot

The bendix style is what I remember from 30 years ago. The gear not moving linearly on the shaft but only rotating would make building one much easier. Thank you for the info! I'm leaning toward building my own more now.

Originally Posted by spaceworm
I didn't know, so I Googled up how starters work. It said that the old Bendix drive had the gear on a helical cut shaft. After the car engine started it would drive the starter gear down the helix and out of engagement with the flywheel. But, it said the Bendix drive is obsolete and more modern starters have a one way "sprag" drive that is like a one way clutch. So, the starter gear does not slide laterally on the starter shaft, which is good for our use. Good luck with your build.
Old 04-21-2015, 08:02 PM
2walla
My Feedback: (10)

Onthe chrysler starter. The one you want is the planetary gear reduction one ff of the jeep commander and they are about 90 -300 for a reman. There was a year that had one that was smaller and still had the planetary reduction-but i think they discontinued them. the core is worth a bit of coin.

A dynatron with a miller reduction unit and good batteries will start just about anything u want to start. Most guys screw up and try to use too small a battery. You need lots of current to make things happen.

Last edited by 2walla; 04-21-2015 at 08:10 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.