Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

What Batteries Please?

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

What Batteries Please?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 07:04 PM
blue77
My Feedback: (178)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Batteries Please?

I'm an older guy, getting back in hobby after a few years....the more I read about batteries and set up the more confused I get. I'm going to be building a couple of sport planes...75-100", with DLE 35 RA engines, and using a Tactic 8 channel system...what about kill switch, IBEC, power box. Something that's easy to charge and understand....please be specific. Thanks, Thanks, Thanks
Old 09-30-2015, 03:55 PM
TJC333

I am just getting back into the hobby after being out of it for twenty years and I am staying with NiCads. Yes they are old technology however they are reliable, easy to use and you don't have to baby sit them like some other types. You are going to get a wide variety of answers to your question. Don't expect a clear answer.
Old 10-01-2015, 03:47 AM
blue77
My Feedback: (178)

Thanks....I think I've got it figured out now.
Old 10-01-2015, 09:55 AM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Received 123 Likes on 106 Posts

I you don't fly that often then LI-FE are a good choice.

http://www.wrongwayrc.com/index.php?...ory&path=67_84
Old 10-01-2015, 10:17 AM
castlebravo

Ive used LiFe packs in my 40%ers for a few years and have had great success. In my 50cc Ultimate and my 60cc Yak.....I built my own packs out of some 2200mah Li-Ion cells from the local idustrial surplus store....they're only $2 per cell so you get a 2200mah 2S Li-Ion pack for $4.

As far as power distribution....not really needed in a 30cc airplane IMO....you could save a little weight by using a IBEC for ignition instead of a dedicated battery. You definitely need some sort of ignition cut off if not supplied by the IBEC.....throttle servos fail more often on Gas motors (for a variety of reasons) and having a means of cutoff is a must!
LiFe's are very easy to deal with....they can be charged at 2-3 times capacity (C) and they dont need a regulator when used with non-HV servos. They're flat so they're easy to mount and dont have quite the "explosive" history that the other Li-Poly's have.....although you do still have to respect them. The only battery I've ever had "burn up" was a NiCad that was inadvertantly charged at too high rate so dont let the chemistry scare you.

CB