Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

Anyone ever flown a Byron originals Sukhoi?

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Anyone ever flown a Byron originals Sukhoi?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 08:49 PM
ng8264723

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone ever flown a Byron originals Sukhoi?

I found a complete plane and was thinking of purchasing it for some fun 3D flying.
Old 01-17-2016, 09:02 PM
Mpizpilot
My Feedback: (45)

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Far from a 3D airplane. Sorry to say.
Old 01-17-2016, 09:03 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Big, beautiful but outdated airplane. They build heavy and the wing structure is weak by modern standards. They were known to flutter ailerons easily and wing separations were not uncommon. To be fair though, some of that aileron problem was probably the result of less than adequate servos that were common during that time period.

If I owned one of those planes, I'd enjoy it by flying it scale like in big maneuvers with lots of throttle management on down lines. Then I'd go over and fly a more modern plane when i want to beat on something.

Years ago, my good friend lost his the first day out. It was a very beautiful airplane. Sadly, he was aware of the known aileron problems but chose to go ahead with test flights anyway rather than trying to engineer a fix.
Old 01-17-2016, 09:08 PM
ng8264723

Well I have been practicing with the Great planes simulator and was hoping for something that could fly like a YAK or an extra 300. I'm by no means a serious 3D guy. i was hoping for something that could hover and have some fun with. This is all assembled and looks real nice (as least in the pics). I was hoping to buy a package deal from the guy. The plane has a single servo in each wing. So with good servos the flutter issue should not be an issue. I was thinking of a 62cc gasser. i figure that will have enough power to fly her!
Old 01-17-2016, 09:37 PM
Truckracer

Enjoy and respect it for what it is and what it isn't. The wing will fail if pushed too hard. There just isn't enough support structure in that wing. They were very good looking airplanes and one of the best scale examples of a Sukhoi out there. A G-62 will be adequate power but certainly not excess. That should be a good match for the airframe. I saw several of those planes fly with much less power and they looked very good doing conventional aerobatics.
Old 01-17-2016, 10:19 PM
ng8264723

Would you recommend carbon fiber strengthening? I wonder if i could make a build up in balsa of the wing? That may be fun!
Old 01-18-2016, 05:28 AM
airrds
My Feedback: (4)

Owned a couple of them, they flew well......but you can not over fly these birds...There really is no wing structure, all foam, balsa sheeting ....couple metal sub spars holding them in fuse and a couple set screws per...

Last edited by airrds; 01-19-2016 at 04:23 AM. Reason: added info
Old 01-19-2016, 03:36 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ng8264723
Would you recommend carbon fiber strengthening? I wonder if i could make a build up in balsa of the wing? That may be fun!
Listen to the vice that you have been given This air frame is not capable of doing what you desire.
Old 01-19-2016, 03:53 AM
ng8264723

I'm just learning to fly an extra 300 on the simulator. You guys make it seems like if i do any maneuvors this thing is going to explode! I just want to use it to fun fly. I'm never going to compete!
Old 01-19-2016, 04:28 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm just learning to fly an extra 300 on the simulator. You guys make it seems like if i do any maneuvors this thing is going to explode! I just want to use it to fun fly. I'm never going to compete!
You have all the answers. Go for it.
Old 01-19-2016, 05:34 PM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Just go fly the darned thing. Sport scale and sport aerobatics will be just fine.

Last weekend I helped a friend fly an old Quadra 35 powered Byron Pipe Dream he picked up at a swap meet. He updated the servos and put a carb kit in the quadra. Started and ran like a jewel and flew true. I believe Byron designed this ugly beast for two primary purposes: one as an engine test/break in bird; the other as a warbird trainer as it flew aerobatics like a heavy warbird and was a dream to fly.

I'm sure the Sukhoi will fly smoother and better than you will imaging. Not a 3D airplane but it will be fun.
Old 01-19-2016, 07:13 PM
CK1
My Feedback: (60)

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

The only 2 Byron Suckcoi I have ever seen fly both failed on their maiden flights . They were built and flown (almost) by experienced Byron builders / pilots that had plenty of experience.
Not to say they didn't have bad luck but the plane were heavy and weak .
Old 01-19-2016, 07:29 PM
Truckracer

My posts here are in the spirit of your first post where you stated you planned on doing 3D with the Sukhoi. I stated the Byron Sukhoi is a good, though dated airplane that has a known weak wing structure therefore probably not recommended for any maneuvers that would overly stress the wing structure. So with that in mind, here is my restated recommendation.

Fly the plane like a sport plane and keep the "G" loading on the wing to a minimum. Use good throttle management on downlines and always fly the plane in a smooth manner. You can loop, roll, spin and do just about any of the traditional aerobatic maneuvers including snaps ..... if you do them in a low stress manner. But yes, if you yank and bank the plane to excess it might just blow up!
Old 01-20-2016, 03:45 PM
ng8264723

Ok....
I am listening. It looks like I could fairly easily change the wing mount. But i think I will follow truck racers comments. When I went to look at it I was a little dissapointed by some hanger rash which was clearly from being handled rough and not crashing. Having said that the thing was gorgeous! It looks like the wings were glassed and painted. I was built very very well. It has no engine and or radio/servos
He had a Lanier 33% Laser 200 right next to it. It has PPP servos (not sure about those) a g62 and is ready to fly.
So what did i do?
I bought both and another g62 for the byron. So i have my 3d beat on plane. The Byron I will just fly tame.
Now I'm happy.
The Lanier has an alum tube to connect the wings. That won't break!
Old 01-20-2016, 03:49 PM
Truckracer

Sounds like a good plan!
Old 01-24-2016, 02:57 PM
RalphW
My Feedback: (9)

I did the same this winter - picked up a 27% Byron Sukhoi - beautiful plane, BUT the first thing I did was put all new high torque servos in the plane, got a G 62 for power, and replaced firewall. However, can anyone help me with the CG location on this plane? I intend for this to be a Sunday flyer to bore holes in the sky. Thanks for any help.