Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

Tarvin Model Products Quartermaster

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Tarvin Model Products Quartermaster

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 07:31 PM
heggen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tarvin Model Products Quartermaster

I purchased at an auction a framed up Quartermaster along with the plans and instruction manual. It appears to have been built square and straight. The build still requires a lot of work as well as installing radio and engine, covering and finish. Before I get too deep into the project, I am curious to know if anyone has built one and how well it performs. Can anyone provide some info on this airplane?
Old 02-03-2016, 02:35 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I suggest that you contact Nigel

He's a straight shooter and will provide you with honest info, regarding the Quartermaster.
Old 02-03-2016, 09:10 PM
heggen

Thanks ,Tom. Why didn't I think of that? I did call and speak to him but he unfortunately had never built one and had no information on the airplane. He seems to be a very likeable man who would be willing to help wherever he can. I committed to letting him know about the airplane when I get it built and flying, though it might be some time from now. Right now, I am just planning ahead.
In the mean time, if anyone has info on the Quartermaster, I am open to hearing about it.
Old 02-05-2016, 02:07 AM
jeffo
My Feedback: (68)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very similar to Great Planes Aeromaster,size and layout very close to each other.I had both kits,I built the Aeromaster,because it was easier to build.jeffo
Old 02-06-2016, 03:44 PM
heggen

Thanks for the input, Jeffo. If it flies anything like my Aeromaster. it will be a great airplane. Plus, I have found that bigger is better so I am looking forward to a really fun airplane. I have no immediate plans to finish building this airplane since I have a couple of big projects ahead of it. Just doing some long range planning. When it comes time to finish the build, I'll be back with a report.
Old 03-08-2016, 08:04 AM
dreid
My Feedback: (13)

I was the owner of DGA Designs and Reid' Quality Model Products and my friend and I designed the QuarterMaster and I built the prototype. The plane flies awesome. What we did, as we are old time modelers who used to fly the Andrew's Aeromaster, took the airfoil and the basic wing/stab setup and drew an airplane around it. As we did not want to call it an Aeromaster, we came up with the name QuarterMaster as it was quater scale size designed around the Aeromaster. The original was powered with a Quadra 42 which was plenty of power swinging a 20-8 prop. I do not generally build a plane twice, but I dumb thumbed the prototype and rebuilt it as it flew so well. After about 600 flights I had a radio failure and lost the plane. I have a third one built and changed some outlines so it looks like a 1930's plane. Drop a line if you have any questions. Dave
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2654.JPG
Views:	679
Size:	2.80 MB
ID:	2151442   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2660.JPG
Views:	685
Size:	2.53 MB
ID:	2151443  
Old 03-09-2016, 12:29 PM
heggen

Dave, Thanks for the info on the Quartermaster. Reading what you wrote makes it all the more important to put this higher in the order of my build list. When the time comes to build and fly my Quartermaster, I will be in touch with the details.
I am impressed with your great looking Quartermaster done as a 1930's style. I hope it serves you for years to come.
Old 03-10-2016, 10:10 AM
carlgrover

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

That is a very pretty plane and really tempting. Plans and a cowl delivered are $106. I've got so many projects. Just got back from Perry and spent a fortune.

Still, it's really tempting

carl
Old 03-29-2016, 03:41 PM
dreid
My Feedback: (13)

Carl- I made some changes on the QM from what is on the plans. I rounded out the fuselage, rounded the wing tips and tail feathers, used a 1/4 scale Davis D1W cowl that I shortened and a set of wheel pants from a Stearman. I wanted the 1930's look and I think I got it. Dave
Old 09-17-2019, 10:24 AM
carlgrover

I couldn't stand it anymore so I ordered the plans. They came in last night. Very interesting build on this one. I'm going to start on the stab. Going to put a US 41 in it. Will whip up my own homemade cowl as well. Probably skip the pants. Probably.

carl
Old 10-10-2019, 04:37 AM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Check out Nigel's build threads. Awesome craftsmanship.
Old 04-06-2022, 09:07 AM
heggen

It has been 5 years since I touched the Quartermaster. So many fun projects to do and this one just got lost in the rafters. About a week ago, I was waiting for paint to dry and parts to arrive for other projects, so I pulled the QM down from the rafters and looked it over. This is a model I bought at a club auction Feb 2016 as if I needed another model. It was built very well except for the lower wing which had almost no dihedral contrary to what the plan showed. Correcting the problem might have been too big of a task so for that reason he might have sold it. Well, I am glad he did. I cut the wing in two at the centerline on my table saw and glued it together at the correct dihedral angle. I purchased wheel pants and an engine cowl from Fiberglass Specialties and still need a landing gear from TNT. The interesting task to do now is to accurately make the cabanes from 1/8" music wire. Getting that done well is always a challenge.
My biggest concern is engine size. I have a DLE 30 that fits perfectly but am concerned it might be on the light end for power. My DLE 55's are all in service and I have nothing in between. Weight showed come out around 18 lbs. I am hoping power to weight will be enough for a good sport flyer. Does anyone have any thoughts on that?
I'll try to get some pictures for a future post.
Old 04-13-2022, 05:46 AM
carlgrover

I'm going to stuff a Q42 in mine when I get around to building it. When I was considering buying the plans I think someone said a Q35 would fly it all day long.

I'm finishing up a Sukhoi. When it's done, I'm thinking about building either an Alley Kat or a Dragon Lady from the drawings you sent me. I ordered the Dragon Lady cowl from Fiberglass Specialties last week.

Carl
Old 04-23-2022, 08:44 AM
heggen

Making and installing cabane struts has been the challenge this week. The goal is to make them to hold the wing securely at exactly the correct incidence angle while being in correct alignment with the fuselage. To hopefully ensure that the incidence angle is correct, a jig is built and installed temporarily to suspend the upper wing at the correct angle. Interplane struts are made and temporarily attached in position to hold the wing level to the fuselage. The cabanes are made of 1/8" music wire with loops at one end for the wing bolts to go into the threaded wood in the wing and a dogleg at the other end to insert into the side of the fuselage. To get the cabanes to the correct length, it was necessary to make each one of the four struts in two pieces connected by a length of brass tubing. Once all is aligned and secured, the brass tubing and music wire are silver soldered together. To make the loop at the top, the music wire had to be heated with a torch to soften it and then the wire was wrapped around a 1/4" bolt for the loop. Then the wire at the loop end had to be bent over at nearly a right angle to match the angle to fit flush to the bottom of the wing. This has been a lengthy process of fit and try and repeat until a proper fit was achieved. It gets to a point where the "that's close enough" approach is valid to be done with the job. When all is measured the bottom wing is at 1 degree positive and the upper wing is 1/2 degree positive according to the plan. Man, am I glad that part of the build is over! Work should move along much quicker from here on.

Alignment jig and interplane struts hod the wing in the correct position.

Old 04-23-2022, 08:48 AM
heggen

Carl, I am glad you are considering the Dragon Lady. It is a fun, great flying, sport airplane. Mine is still going strong.