Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

Should the FAA regulate all model aircraft flying in America ....

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Should the FAA regulate all model aircraft flying in America ....

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 05:07 AM
[email protected]

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Should the FAA regulate all model aircraft flying in America ....

...or at least the heavy ones?

These large-scale planes look potential deadly if something were to go awry. Large-scale craft like these should definitely be FAA-regulated and have strict training licensing requirements to operate them. Owners/operators should also be require to be insured by law for personal injury or property damage.

Have there ever been any known fatalities involving any "hobby" model aircraft?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsoFvIqPvOM
Old 03-09-2016, 09:11 AM
jetmech05

No the FAA should not regulate model aircraft. Not even drones.
Im a large scale flyer but let me tell you I didn't start flying giant scale.
Before you start telling folks who should be regulated go to an IMAC event where pilots fly in different classes 3 sequences an event all flying giant scale maybe you'll see a crash.
most of us have been flying for years
Old 03-09-2016, 09:30 AM
[email protected]

Off the record, COULD a giant-scale plane, theoretically, KILL a person on the ground by a collision? How fast can those giant-scale 747 jets travel? How much do they weigh in pounds? Should RC pilots have some form of liability insurance? What kind of legal trouble could RC pilots get into potentially?

What are the qualifications and certifications if any to pilot a giant-scale aircraft?

I see RC piloting, like driving a car, a privilege and not a right.

To me, it is a public safety issue. Attempting to fly a giant-scale plane
with no proper training is downright idiotic as well as socially irresponsible.

here is a good article on hobby airplanes and the FAA

http://www.tested.com/tech/concepts/...hy-it-matters/

Dan Lantz1 year ago
I am an active Quadcopter user an have several of them. I think we all have to realize how easy it is to seriously injure a person with even the lightest of aircraft. Do a basic Physics equation:
1 kg drone at 50 meters high with a battery failure will hit the ground a 112 KM/hour (approx 60 mph). The impact 490 joules. This can seriously hurt someone… or damage property.
They are great toys, but it you want to fly these things, you MUST keep in mind the REAL danger they pose.
Do you have insurance?
Do you fly in human free zones?
Do you fly 10 or more miles clear of any airport? (If you fly within 5 miles, you WILL get in trouble with the FAA - so double the distance)
Be safe, Think Safety.
As an avid user of drones, I feel that they will eventually be shut down by the government just because the risk is too high. None the less, the longer users can "self regulate" ourselves, the more chance the hobby has of surviving.
Happy flying!

Last edited by [email protected]; 03-09-2016 at 09:46 AM.
Old 03-09-2016, 09:52 AM
jetmech05

If you are a member of the AMA you have insurance. And if your aircraft weighs over 55 lbs then you are supposed to have a waiver which encompasses an aircraft inspection. If you are flying a turbine powered aircraft again you're supposed to have a waiver to be covered by the AMA.
Come down from your soap box and learn something about what you gripe about
Old 03-09-2016, 10:00 AM
[email protected]

I am not griping for the sake of it. I don't want see see people or animals get hurt. I don't think model airplanes, even with a Harvard graduate doctor of aeronautical science, if there is such a degree, or a a NASA astronaut like Scott Kelly, at the radio sticks, are as trustworthy by design as full-scale aircraft that are manned and heavily-regulated by the FAA. Model planes often use cheesy electronics made in China. Please don't tell me a giant-scale 747 built from a China kit is as safe mechanically and has the full aeronautical and technological integrity by design as a full-size Boeing Commercial Airplanes 747 costing many millions of dollars. What if that China-made radio crapped out on a giant-scale plane and she soared out of control? Whom on the ground would she dive upon and hit smack in the temple of the head? There has to be uniform rules for model craft design and safety of bystanders. Safety-wise, those little Cox line-control glo planes that were popular in the 1970's don't concern me that much.

Any model airplane should be respected just as much as any loaded gun, class 5 river rapids or high-voltage power lines if not more so.

Last edited by [email protected]; 03-09-2016 at 10:14 AM.
Old 03-09-2016, 10:13 AM
jetmech05

Cars kill more people than model aircraft do you gripe about cars? Come to my flying field and learn about what you are talking about.
I'll be more than happy to show you what you think you know.
Im not saying there aren't crashes, the last fatality I know of was a gent in South America somewhere flew his plane into his own head. It was not a giant scale. And another guy flew his helicopter into his own head in New York about 5 years ago.
General aviation full scale kills more than that. Hell MH 370 killed more people than all of RC.
Old 03-09-2016, 10:16 AM
[email protected]

Should I wear a crash helmet or a hard hat at the flying field? I never said I was an expert in RC planes but some of those really big ones look quite menacing even on the You Tube videos I have watched.

Incidentally, I tried my hand with not one but two kit-built small (under 4 foot wing span) glo engine RC planes years ago. One leaped up suddenly and struck a telephone wire and she was toast. I was at a high school football field. The second plane stalled at a large public park when I aggressively, like an idiot, pulled back all the way on the elevator stick, she soared up vertical, stood almost still in the air like a hovering helicopter, nose dived and she took a sudden dump on a paved parking lot. Years later, I discovered PC flight simulators and discovered not only were they safer and less expensive to crash as RC planes, I actually learned some basic aeronautical stick n rudder principles like use the ailerons, not the rudder, to steer. I have Microsoft Flight Sim X Deluxe right now. I can master those Bell helicopters and Boeing 747s on screen too. Landing is toughest for the turbine-powered fixed wings vs the single-engine piston planes, because of the turbo lag, and hovering a heli and landing a heli on a building rooftop is somewhat of a challenge.

Are RC helis and planes harder to fly than flight sim aircraft in reality?

Last edited by [email protected]; 03-09-2016 at 10:32 AM.
Old 03-09-2016, 10:33 AM
jetmech05

So you are basing this thread on a few videos you watched? Really?
i never once thought you were an expert. Forgive me if I gave you that impression

Last edited by jetmech05; 03-09-2016 at 10:35 AM.
Old 03-09-2016, 10:44 AM
[email protected]

Well, sir, you have even said that smaller planes have proven deadly. I have no more to say about RC airplane safety. I will just prudently stick with PC flight sims and RC surface models like slow-moving scale boats and cheap china-made cars. I have one China-made toy Toyota Celica race car I paid all of 10 bucks new on amazon.com 4 years ago. two stick radio and ready to run out of the box: 4 AA batteries and 1 9V battery were not included. Fast fun little car but lacks (digital) proportional steering and speed control. It is all or nothing for radio stick input which can make precision driving control difficult as if you wanted to keep the car perfectly centered between the two solid yellow lines in the middle of the street or make tight maneuvers around traffic cones. But what the devil, can't have everything for about 10 bucks. Still, fun and not too hard to control running flat out on a wide-open area like a tennis court or my street in front of my house. The Celica's body is bright yellow with Toyota racing decals and a scale-looking body.

Last edited by [email protected]; 03-09-2016 at 10:51 AM.
Old 03-09-2016, 11:18 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I smell a troll. This guy has been all over the forums posting silly questions like a new way to say Nickle Metal Hydride FLY FREE OR DIE!
Old 03-09-2016, 11:40 AM
CESSNA 421
My Feedback: (17)

Sure why not? They have already ruined our hobby why not let them kill it completely or make it so cost prohibitive with rules and regulations that only the Donald Trump's in the US will be able to fly models.
Old 03-09-2016, 12:10 PM
[email protected]

Incidentally, I am voting for Ted Cruz in the CA primaries. I am not Trump buddy.
Old 03-09-2016, 12:16 PM
jetmech05

Good you should stick with what you know.
I would never suggest trying to learn to fly on your own. Furthermore you should never fly any where but at an AMA flying field.
The offer stands come to my field and I'll show/teach you anything you want to see.
other than that you seem to be complaining on a subject you know little about.
Old 03-09-2016, 12:47 PM
[email protected]

No, I am just expressing perhaps cowardly fear.

But I beg of you, please be dam careful whenever you are piloting those monster jets with a radio. At least, avoid the cheap China-made equipment and only install top-notch components in your giant-scale planes as from Europe where stuff is fashioned with Old World Swiss hand craftsmanship, classic Italian art, English taste and sophistication and highly-refined German engineering.

Ok, I fudged on my earlier promise of saying no more about airplane safety.

But this is now where I rest my case on that matter for good lest a big China-made 747 crashes through my bedroom window in my sleep because I have offended the Futaba Attack gods.

May the AMA gods be with you and keep everybody alive and unscratched!

Goodbye on this thread from me, I hope to get in the last word and Amen.

Last edited by [email protected]; 03-09-2016 at 12:56 PM.
Old 03-09-2016, 02:54 PM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Maybe the Feds should also regulate skateboards, bicycles, boats of all kinds, and anything else that can pose a threat to anyone at all. Surfing, swimming, hiking, bungee jumping, rock climbing, hiking, sky diving all pose threats to the well being of folks and should require a permit issued by the Federal Government.

My goodness where do these big government, boneheaded ideas come from?
Old 03-09-2016, 03:03 PM
ps2727

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

John,
You are correct in that large models can be a safety hazard. We get it. That is why we have banded together in the form of the AMA which has a safety code and established guidelines for the construction and safe operation of all types of model aircraft. And we do have insurance too.
The builder of that large 747 model has several thousand dollars invested in his project and will take every precaution to protect the safety of his craft and, therefore, the safety of others who wish to see it fly. That is why he didn't use a "cheap Chinese" radio system.

To answer your other question, I do not know of any fatalities related to the operation of rc model aircraft in the USA. However, there were 11 young boys killed while participating in high school football in 2015. Are you calling for the regulation of that activity? Maybe the government can license the players and mandate insurance, or just prohibit it all together.

While I think modeling is a safe activity what makes it less so are the participants who choose to ignore established safety guidelines such as flying at a local sporting facility when not capable of controlling a model. If we can guide newcomers to do it right our safety record will only improve.
Paul
Old 03-09-2016, 07:38 PM
KLXMASTER14

T.r.o.l.l
Old 03-09-2016, 08:25 PM
radfordc
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The bigger question is should ignorant trolls be allowed to post nonsensical trash such as this on RCU?
Old 03-10-2016, 05:28 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The house FAA bill would take the ATA side of the FAA away from them and give it to private contractors. Why? Because the FAA keeps dragging its feet on NextGen and other requirements. We have a building built in 2010 sitting empty because the FAA has yet to adopt NextGen. So now we are going to have the FAA regulate model airplanes when the AMA has an excellent safety record.

This is just fascist thought that the government should regulate everything. Government doesn't work because its only motive is to control and tax for the sole purpose of making the ruling elite rich.
Old 03-10-2016, 10:09 AM
GSXR1000
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't feed the troll, he doesn't realize people who are flying these giant scale aircraft are at a flying field or private land away from the general population.He must think giant scale flyers are flying their planes like park fliers flying at their local school field.
Old 03-10-2016, 12:27 PM
FALCONSNEST

Originally Posted by ps2727
John,
You are correct in that large models can be a safety hazard. We get it. That is why we have banded together in the form of the AMA which has a safety code and established guidelines for the construction and safe operation of all types of model aircraft. And we do have insurance too.
The builder of that large 747 model has several thousand dollars invested in his project and will take every precaution to protect the safety of his craft and, therefore, the safety of others who wish to see it fly. That is why he didn't use a "cheap Chinese" radio system.

To answer your other question, I do not know of any fatalities related to the operation of rc model aircraft in the USA. However, there were 11 young boys killed while participating in high school football in 2015. Are you calling for the regulation of that activity? Maybe the government can license the players and mandate insurance, or just prohibit it all together.

While I think modeling is a safe activity what makes it less so are the participants who choose to ignore established safety guidelines such as flying at a local sporting facility when not capable of controlling a model. If we can guide newcomers to do it right our safety record will only improve.
Paul
Very well stated. There are dozens of other sports and activities that are truly dangerous with statistics to prove it, such as off road dirt bike riding and skiing, to name a couple.
Old 03-16-2016, 10:53 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

FISH ON! This guy has really got you all going. All thats left is to gaff ya and put ya on ice.
Old 03-16-2016, 11:19 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

He'd been a member for a max of 5 weeks and his verbage was not what would be used by an experienced modeler. Both were immediate giveaways.
Old 03-18-2016, 06:02 AM
pappy35

This guy is mental. Just ignore him and he'll go away...
Old 03-18-2016, 06:33 AM
johnboyrc

It's not the size or weight of the plane that I worry about. I'm comfortable with experienced flyers with big planes, -it's not their first flight, they know what they are doing. A newbie is different, you pay attention them when they fly.