Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

ISO config help with first big plane.

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

ISO config help with first big plane.

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 03:10 PM
gluedup

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ISO config help with first big plane.

I need help with selecting receiver, batteries, servos, and any other equipment needed for a large plane. I've had great success with .40 to .60 size planes; Is it okay to use the same electronics? I've heard of redundant on board power options, and larger servos. If you have a big plane please share.

Ziroli Fokker DR-1 from short kit with Zenoa 28 cc gas engine.
Old 07-07-2016, 04:18 PM
RBACONS
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its not a particularly big, heavy, or fast plane, nor does it require an excessive number of servos so there is not much difference from what you are used to. The biggest difference to deal with is the gas engine.

On a WWI plane, analog servos are fine although digital is generally better from a precision/centering standpoint. You don't, however, need blazing transit speed or extreme precision on a WWI plane. Whether digital or analog, you do want metal-geared servos as they will handle the vibration from the gas engine better. Redundant switches and batteries are a good idea but not necessary. A means of killing the engine remotely in case of receiver or throttle failure is wise. A gasser can fly a very long time if you lose your throttle servo or receiver.

Separate batteries for the receiver and ignition unless you use something like the Tech-Aero Ultra IBEC (a very good product). I would use batterie(s) in the 2000 mah to 2600 mah range of at least 6.0V. NiCAD, NiMH, LIFE, LIPO are all perfectly fine battery chemistries for the application. Biggest concern would be what voltage your receiver, servos, and ignition module can handle.

Standard servos a a bit light on torque for that size plane. I would probably look for at least 80 oz-in servos.
Old 07-08-2016, 01:56 AM
gluedup

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info. I'm going to post my final equipment list before I fly the DR-1.