Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

Fokker triplane rudder throw?

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Fokker triplane rudder throw?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 06:26 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Fokker triplane rudder throw?

After reading the article in the current AMA mag about taking off, it got me thinking about my 1/4 scale triplane. It is a bear on the ground on take offs. I had full rudder travel and high expo. The article recommends against just that.
So I am going to try dual rates with lower rate on take off, and no expo, then switched to higher rates while flying. I am wondering how you Fokker triplane pilots set up your rudder in the radio?
Old 08-30-2017, 12:47 PM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Not a Fokker but my taildraggers had dual rate rudders with high expo to reduce the sensitivity of stick movement near the center point.
Old 08-30-2017, 03:59 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Honestly vertical I have always set up my WW1 with LOTS of throw and used expo to soften it up in the middle.
Old 08-30-2017, 04:13 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Yeah, that is how I always did it. My memory seems to be telling me though that I had less trouble with my 1st triplane before I used expo. It has been a long time though (12 years) So I am going to try it again without. The point is to not have so much throw that you do not get into trouble in the first place.
Old 09-03-2017, 10:23 AM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I use Expo on the elevators but not on the rudder.
Personally I'd get a gyro and be done with it lol. I know that's caving into technology but that's ok at times.
I read the same article and it makes sense.
Old 09-05-2017, 02:01 PM
WinterHawke

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not a fan of expo, myself, but that's something of a personal taste, and your mileage may vary.

I set rudder on most WWI's, including the triplane, for a fair amount of throw (not hard against the stop).

I think technique is critical on short coupled taildraggers, and one of the things I do on take-off is to "stab" at the rudder the moment I detect a drift, immediately letting it go back toward neutral. Watching videos of the full-scale replicas shows much the same technique. It's kind of a dance, really, on the rudder bar - tap and release, and repeat as necessary until flying speed is reached.

The big mistake I see a lot is folks hit and holding rudder too long - after begging the plane to turn that much, it's gonna oblige!!

Best regards,

Lee McD