Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

General Hobby ARF's

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 04:46 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Default General Hobby ARF's

I have been considering the General Hobby 97" Gee Bee for a few weeks and I wanted some feedback on their models. Anyone that has purchased any type of giant or regular ARF from them is invited to respond.

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-30-2017, 07:53 AM
DaveHickey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Generally OK for the price, I would double check the hinge slots, not always centered well and reinforce the LG mount unless you are very good. D.H.
Old 11-30-2017, 10:55 AM
Lifer

Dave,

Thank you for the response. Regarding the landing gear, is it wire, or the oleo that has a flat plate attached to the wing. Any pictures of the gear would be appreciated.
Old 11-30-2017, 11:31 AM
DaveHickey

Both the GH airplanes I have are aerobatic so they are aluminum or CF gear bolted to a plate. On the 60" airplane I have the plate was too thin and soft and ripped out on the first flight. On my 70" plane the plate looks to be regular ply instead of light ply and is reinforced with an aluminum bracket to spread the force out. Haven't flown #2 yet but I am much more confident of it. D..H.
Old 12-02-2017, 06:32 PM
Steve Percifield
My Feedback: (14)

Got an email from them today. They have a great looking giants scale Cub that's very reasonable.
Old 12-03-2017, 01:39 AM
Lifer

I have been waiting for several weeks for them to reply to an email I sent requesting information.
Old 12-07-2017, 05:23 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Though their customer service is not up to par when compared to other higher end distributors, the Goldwing and Skyline kits from General are a great value in my experience. My impression is that there are no fliers there. It's more of a warehouse distribution center, though that's purely a guess.

I've bought 4 Skyline planes in the last 2 seasons. A 60" MX-2 (5.5lbs w/10cc Evo), a 60" Corvus (6lbs w/10cc RCGF), a 70" Edge (10lbs 2oz w/30cc DLE), and the latest, now on the bench, is a second 70" Edge that will be powered by a 26cc RCGF (older radial mount version) that should come in well under 10lbs. All have come complete with no defects, are well constructed, and VERY light weight. Mini CD instruction CD's are pretty generic and may leave somebody with little ARF experience anxious. There are alum angle pieces used to reinforce the landing gear plate, which bolt to the large ply pieces that run back from the motor box. Bolts holding the LG on go through the landing gear plate as well as this angle alum to make for one of the better designs/setups I've seen. Landing loads are spread out/transfered to lessen the likelihood of damage. Lower longerons are either carbon fiber reinforced or made from carbon fiber rod. Hardware is all usable (I don't care for the tail gear), including the ball links that are actually functional/not sticky.

Historically, tracking just sucks coming from General. I'm not sure if it's them or maybe something else is in play as I don't know how what they do could affect tracking from the time it leaves there. This last shipment took several days to make it to the UPS dock after the shipper was cut and tracking started. That was not so typical, and Rich apologized for the delay, saying they just got backed up. That shipment was still here in 10 days.

The stock alum gear supplied with the first 70" Edge is on the wimpy side. Plane must be landed on it's tippy toes to prevent bending. Because of that, this second 70" Edge was ordered with the optional (29.95) carbon fiber gear. Haven't tried them yet, but there was a tag on them that said they were to be used with 20-40cc planes, so I have confidence they're a little more suitable than the OEM gear. -Al
Old 12-07-2017, 12:33 PM
Lifer

ahicks,

Always good to get a response from you.
I wasn't too clear in my original request; I am interested in General Hobbies but particularly wanted info on their version of the big GeeBee. I have asked twice for a pdf of the assembly manual. Perhaps somebody reading this could send it to me as the factory has not responded.
Old 12-07-2017, 01:44 PM
ahicks

Lifer, General is just a warehouse, the importer/distributor. They're clueless about the kits, other than keeping track of inventory, shipping, and tracking.

In the lower right corner of those pictures there is a logo for Sunfun Hobbies in China. Their website has all sorts of contact info, so betting they're more about customer support. Maybe shoot them an email? Here a link:

Geebee Y 50cc - Geebee - Skysun Hobbies Co.Ltd.

Best of luck! -Al
Old 12-07-2017, 01:52 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Skysun is who was making planes for RedWingRC
Old 12-07-2017, 02:08 PM
Lifer

Thanks to you both. I'll send them an email and report back to you.
Old 12-07-2017, 06:41 PM
ahicks

Originally Posted by Desertlakesflying
Skysun is who was making planes for RedWingRC
Interesting. Learned something new today! Thanks
Old 12-08-2017, 07:22 AM
Steve Percifield

I've bought "off" brands of ARFs from several sources, and as was mentioned , with a little knowledge of building and assembling ARF's, I find most very good values. At least for me. If you are looking at a shake it out of the box airplane, buy a flying cooler. One of my favorite planes is a Piper Pawnee from Texas RC. Great airplane! If I have any money left after Christmas , I will have one of General's GEE BEE's.
I have had great experiences from No Brands, and horrible experiences from NAME brand. It's all just a chance.
steve
Old 12-08-2017, 11:53 AM
Lifer

I emailed the manufacturer and requested a manual, or at least the assembly pictures. My primary concern is the landing gear design and how it is mounted. If I get what's requested, I'll post it.
Old 12-10-2017, 06:50 AM
Lifer

No responses in 2 weeks or so and 2 requests. Clearly they don't intend to reply. My main concern was the landing gear mount. There are a series of pictures attached to the website that answered my question. The gear is a strut and is attached to a ply plate in the wing. This concerns me as all the stress is focused into a small area instead of spreading out, which is how I learned to engineer models. It includes a rear strut that would protect against fore and aft movement but little for sideways strain. I think I could fashion a ply plate to be mounted externally on the bottom of the wing that with a wire attached could absorb some of the lateral forces, but I would still prefer a sturdy wire gear that fit into a channel and has a strut similar to the one mentioned.

Don't get me wrong; I know how to land, but as you all know, "stuff" happens....
Old 12-10-2017, 07:01 AM
Lifer

Should have posted this as well:

Geebee Y 50cc - Geebee - Skysun Hobbies Co.Ltd.
Old 12-10-2017, 07:20 AM
Steve Percifield

Originally Posted by Lifer
No responses in 2 weeks or so and 2 requests. Clearly they don't intend to reply. My main concern was the landing gear mount. There are a series of pictures attached to the website that answered my question. The gear is a strut and is attached to a ply plate in the wing. This concerns me as all the stress is focused into a small area instead of spreading out, which is how I learned to engineer models. It includes a rear strut that would protect against fore and aft movement but little for sideways strain. I think I could fashion a ply plate to be mounted externally on the bottom of the wing that with a wire attached could absorb some of the lateral forces, but I would still prefer a sturdy wire gear that fit into a channel and has a strut similar to the one mentioned.

Don't get me wrong; I know how to land, but as you all know, "stuff" happens....
That gear setup is a common problem with ARFs that have this type of gear. I love the "anti Vibration landing gear" statement on the website. Translations suffer.
Old 12-20-2017, 05:15 AM
taildragger21
My Feedback: (197)

I’ve had the sky sun gee bee. Yes the gear mounts are a weak point. First landing I made I greased the landing and when it touched down I heard a loud pop. One gear was canted in several degrees upon inspection. I added basswood triangle stock around the ply plates and that fixed the issues.
Old 12-20-2017, 07:06 AM
Lifer

That is exactly my concern. Did you remove the plates and then apply the tri-stock?

Also, Sky-Sun Hobbies answered my request for an assembly manual. It's pretty generic, but some sections specifically address the big GeeBee.
Attached Thumbnails GEEBEE Y 50CC manual.pdf  
Old 12-20-2017, 07:28 AM
taildragger21

Originally Posted by Lifer
That is exactly my concern. Did you remove the plates and then apply the tri-stock?

Also, Sky-Sun Hobbies answered my request for an assembly manual. It's pretty generic, but some sections specifically address the big GeeBee.
‘I went the easy route and did the outsides of the block. Worked fine and gear still attached to block.
Old 12-20-2017, 08:10 AM
Lifer

Could you possibly post a picture or two?

Please!
Old 12-24-2017, 09:26 PM
taildragger21

Sorry I sold the plane a few years back if I remember correctly the triangle stock slid under the sheeting and contacted the edges of the lg block from the outside. It worked great.
Other than that the construction was great. Here’s a video of mine when I had it. Did it on a 12s electric set up. Thinking of buying another and throwing my fg84 saito on it.