Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

3W F8F Bearcat

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 09:03 AM
JJP
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 3W F8F Bearcat

Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a 3w Bearcat. Also does anyone make proper scale trunion gear for the plane? I would be interested if there is a new in the box one as well depending on the age of the kit.
Old 09-18-2015, 02:40 PM
Greg Wright
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Try calling this place: http://aircraftinternational.com
Old 09-18-2015, 02:53 PM
JJP

Thanks Greg. I was told that he does not import them anymore. To be honest unless I can find someone to make the trunion gear I am stuck. Years ago I had a Bearcat that came from Norway and the gear that was made for it here in the US was not up to the task and after several attempts finally scrapped the project and sold the plane. I got really good at gear up landings though.
If anyone reading this knows where I can find drawings of the full size gear that would be a start.
Old 09-19-2015, 04:12 AM
Greg Wright

JJP,

i emailed them awhile back asking if they do still order them and there response was yes..

I'm just as much as a fanatic about the Bearcat as you are and the only thing holding me back from ordering one is the gear.

Darryl at Sierra Giant scale has said he would do them if he had at least 6 orders for the gear.

Last edited by Greg Wright; 09-19-2015 at 06:06 AM.
Old 09-21-2015, 06:50 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

Im in the process of designing a 1/3.7 Bearcat with scale gear.. Its atleast 18 months out though.
Old 09-22-2015, 04:39 AM
Greg Wright

Originally Posted by invertmast
Im in the process of designing a 1/3.7 Bearcat with scale gear.. Its atleast 18 months out though.

So that's around a 100 inch wingspan?
Old 09-22-2015, 01:50 PM
invertmast

Originally Posted by Greg Wright
So that's around a 100 inch wingspan?

116.75"

sized for a Moki 250

there will be scale articulating landing gear designed and available for it as well. Currently we are debating on if we will be doing all composite or built up wings/tail.
Old 09-22-2015, 02:13 PM
JJP

I am interested in this as I do not have a time line for a new project set in stone. How scale will the plane be? Any more info you can pass on either here or PM?
Old 09-22-2015, 02:27 PM
invertmast

Originally Posted by JJP
I am interested in this as I do not have a time line for a new project set in stone. How scale will the plane be? Any more info you can pass on either here or PM?
It will be very scale. CNC produced plugs, full surface detailing, scale gear in looks and actuation.. Im pushing for the gear to have a scale pivot system and not the typical rc retract mechanism so as to be able to have full gear well surface detail.

The first few prototypes will probably be built up wings/tail so as to keep costs down.

3 piece wing split just outside of the gear, so as to allow transport on its wheels.

Separately molded canopy frame. Integrated vertical fin molded into the fuselage.

to answer the question on scale. I try and make all of my scale models as accurate as possible for those who wish to compete with them. Im a bit OCD with things and dont mind completely starting over to fix a problem. The TA152 im doing in all composite had two sets of wing plugs built because the first set has the trailing edge kink in the wrong location.

If the demand to do the bearcat in all composite is there, we will do it, as we are slowly beginning to tool up a new business to offer large scale models that aren't the commonly seen ones.
Old 09-22-2015, 02:39 PM
JJP

Thomas please consider for the gear a simple air over oil instead of the springs. If you look at how Lai Kai of Skymaster fame does his gear it is really good. I have a large scale Comp ARF Corsair and it uses Sierra gear.
The problem with the spring gear on a 50 lb plane is it need to be so stiff that it really transmits shock and loads to the air frame. I also have a Skymaster A-10 which weighs in over 60 lbs and with the air of hydraulic it settles down so gently on the oleo's that it helps the air frame not to mention not launching the plane back into the air.
Sorry for being so long winded.
Old 09-22-2015, 02:52 PM
invertmast

Originally Posted by JJP
Thomas please consider for the gear a simple air over oil instead of the springs. If you look at how Lai Kai of Skymaster fame does his gear it is really good. I have a large scale Comp ARF Corsair and it uses Sierra gear.
The problem with the spring gear on a 50 lb plane is it need to be so stiff that it really transmits shock and loads to the air frame. I also have a Skymaster A-10 which weighs in over 60 lbs and with the air of hydraulic it settles down so gently on the oleo's that it helps the air frame not to mention not launching the plane back into the air.
Sorry for being so long winded.
haha. No worries, i know exactly what you mean about the stiff legged gear.

That said, my partner (who does the machine work) has developed his own version of air/oil shocks for his 1/4 P47. So its a possibility for the bearcat.

Now, that said. 100% of the RC strut/retract manufacturers are clueless on proper spring rate selection for their products.

With a properly selected spring rate, the model should easily compress the spring in the strut slightly while sitting on the ground. It will also be able to absorb any anomolies on the ground during use. Then during landing, you can run a second spring with a much higher spring rate to absorb those bad landings, or you can select a spring rate for the single spring setup so as to account for that.

Ive done some testing on the above and have found what works for a 15# airframe of a Vought V-173 flying pancake. Im not going to up the scale and use my experience from the pancake on the 152. If it works like it does on thd pancake, i see no real need for the extra complication of the air/oil struts.

I just spoke with my partner a little bit ago and it seems we will probably just end up doing the all composite from the get go. It'll be quicker on getting the project started.
Old 09-22-2015, 03:06 PM
JJP

Please keep me in the loop as I am a serious potential customer.
Old 09-23-2015, 05:54 AM
Greg Wright

Keep us all in the loop!!!!

The size sounds as if a Moki 300 or even a 400 might fit in there as well. I'd really like to start seeing some pictures of the progress.
Old 09-23-2015, 06:53 AM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I should have gotten more pictures, but here is a 3W I seen this past weekend, it had some beautiful scale gear from Germany. Sorry for the fuzzy cell pic.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2969.JPG
Views:	736
Size:	1.54 MB
ID:	2121951  
Old 09-23-2015, 08:09 AM
cublover
My Feedback: (47)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I vote for ALL composite and Ill send money!!
Old 09-23-2015, 02:48 PM
invertmast

Well the Cad model is done and all sliced up. We are going with an F8F-2 variant.

Im finishing up the final details on the design of our new plug machine, so once we get that up and running, we will begin making the plugs.

Expect to see a thread somewhere around the first of the year.
Old 09-23-2015, 02:55 PM
invertmast

Keep us all in the loop!!!!

The size sounds as if a Moki 300 or even a 400 might fit in there as well. I'd really like to start seeing some pictures of the progress.
The cowling is avg. 13.5" in diameter, so it probably will fit.
Old 09-24-2015, 03:52 AM
Greg Wright

So then this means i might have a chance to finally fit a Evolution 260 inside of the cowl also?
Old 09-24-2015, 10:31 AM
invertmast

So then this means i might have a chance to finally fit a Evolution 260 inside of the cowl also?
Probably. I'm currently debating on how to do the fuselage under the cowling, it'll either be a box Ala most aerobatic models, or a molded tophat that will position the engine.. Not sure yet really.
Old 09-25-2015, 04:39 AM
Greg Wright

You should do a molded top hat type mount but make it so the Whole firewall is removable from the plane. This makes it so much easier if you need to remove the engine.
Then the builder can mount the fuel tank and Servos for the engine right on the firewall and everything would remove in one piece. This is how i did the firewall on my Wildcat i just finished.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2807.jpg
Views:	649
Size:	2.34 MB
ID:	2122207   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2809.JPG
Views:	632
Size:	2.09 MB
ID:	2122208  

Last edited by Greg Wright; 09-25-2015 at 04:44 AM.
Old 09-25-2015, 03:54 PM
invertmast

That is probably how we will end up doing it. The cowl Trailing edge and the wing leading edge are very close to each other, so if you split it at those points it leaves a very small sliver of fuselage between them. Not insurmountable proble by just adding a little fuselage to the inside of the cowling with a lip for the cowl to slide flush with the fuse.

Im really particular about attachment bolts being visible. On the 1/4 TA152, no wing attachment bolts are visible, i would like to carry this over to the bearcat. For the 3 piece wing, it'll be the typical wing tube setup, unless i can talk my buddy into doing a set of foldable wings
Old 09-29-2015, 06:02 PM
invertmast

As far as engines go, anything with dimensions similar to a Moki400 will fit full concealed in the cowling. We will have the firewall position so those ambitious enough to stuff a moki 400 into it will be able to.

The CAD data for the fuselage, cowling, canopy and 2 piece horizontal stab is all complete.
Old 09-30-2015, 03:36 AM
Greg Wright

I'd be more than willing to stuff a Moki 400 into one.
Old 09-30-2015, 07:47 PM
cublover
My Feedback: (47)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is the estimated price on this badboy??.. do you have retracts in mind??... God knows I need a giant scale RareBear....
Old 10-01-2015, 06:21 PM
invertmast

Originally Posted by cublover
What is the estimated price on this badboy??.. do you have retracts in mind??... God knows I need a giant scale RareBear....
Retracts will be our own design since no one offers a design we feel is reliable or sufficient for a model this size. They will be scale in function though.

Price wise... To early to say, but id estimate around the same price as a Carf P47.

The materials for our new cnc machine start arriving monday, ao hopefully by the new year plug construction will begin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.