Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Cowl attaching

Old 05-17-2018, 06:20 PM
dnimigon

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Cowl attaching

Building a Ziroli Spitfire and Been test fitting cowl to figure out engine placement. Been wondering how you guys attach the cowl that looks scale. Can't have big screws showing. Just wondered how you handle this. I guess the canopy would be same thing. Been looking around different builds but hard to see a good close up. Does someone have a few pics.
Old 05-18-2018, 04:27 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Scale cowls would have a cowl ring glued to the inside of the cowl. Then screws are placed through the cowl ring and into the firewall.

Its a nuisance because there is almost always something in the way and you need long ball allen wrenches and I usually sharpen a point on the screws so they align easier.
Old 05-18-2018, 11:24 AM
RBACONS
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Doesn't look like there would be any access from the front of a spitfire cowl for a ball driver.

It looks like there are rivets and screws all around the perimeter of the full scale spitfire cowl. If so, another option would be epoxy a small piece (1/2" x 1/2" or so) of 1/16" G10 to the inside of the cowl at each desired screw location (preferably where a screw or rivet exists on the full scale plane). The cowl and G10 would be drilled for the screw shank and then the hole in the cowl itself would be opened up allow the screw head to be recessed. (If the cowl is very thin, you may need to go to 2 layers of G10 and recess the first layer as well.) In a scale location, and with the screw head painted the same as the cowl, it should be pretty inconspicuous. I used No. 2 button head screws on my 1/4 scale cowl (not a spitfire). The retaining block on the firewall was drilled to accept a piece of the yellow inner nyrod which was CA'd in place. Holds the screws firmly without issue.