Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Finally flew my Ace Big Bingo!

Old 07-31-2018, 05:55 AM
Hortco

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Finally flew my Ace Big Bingo!

I bought a vintage Ace Big Bingo at a garage sale a few years ago. It was just the airframe. It was covered with silk and had a horrible paint job.
I already had a Turnigy 52cc motor on the shelf and i knew it would be a good match for this heavy old plane.
i removed the silk and cut some weight reduction holes in the fuselage and recovered it with Ultracote.
For two years I would do a range tests (FM Futaba radio) and when I got 50 feet away all of the servos would twitch. I tried switching to Airtronic radio with no luck. I moved the radio as far back as I could-no luck. I shielded everything with Aluminum- nothing!
I used Zip ties to make sure the plug boot was tight to the spark plug- no luck.
Well last week I decided that I was gonna figure this out and fly this thing.
long story short I ended up removing the metal boot from the spark plug wire and cured the problem.
The metal boot wouldn’t allow it to be pushed all of the way on the plug to where you feel it click.
So on to the flight.
The plane lifted off like a full scale plane.
Because of its size it is somewhat clumsy and wants to climb when flying into the wind but that was easily corrected.
It makes nice steep aileron turns and very fast runway passes.
Landings are not an issue-actually lands pretty smooth.
The 52cc Engine is plenty of power for this heavy plane!
Although it is not my favorite plane to fly it is a nice experience.
I have not done any stunts yet but when I become more comfortable flying it I will experiment a bit.

Ace Big (heavy) Bingo. 52cc engine. 20-inch prop.

Last edited by Hortco; 07-31-2018 at 05:58 AM.
Old 07-31-2018, 03:11 PM
BIGRCR
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Congrats on the flight of your Big Bingo! They are very good flyers and are fantastic sport airplanes and with the weight will do some aerobatics that other light airframes will not. Tumbling end over and flat spins are real fun. Once you get that weight moving it grooves well and the landing are usually no problem other than the rebound which appears to be a bounce (huge amount of lift with those turbulator spars on the top of the wings). I have three of them (2 in the box) and as you say, not my most favorite plane but a lot of fun and a great Sunday flyer. Surprisingly the model will fly on everything from a 120 four stroke to a 4.2 Sachs and fly about the same with all of them. Mine is old school and flew with a Zenoah G-38. I love the "double" take off that the Bingo does (it gets flying before it can support the weight but does not stall).

BIGRCR-John Garst
Old 08-02-2018, 05:43 PM
Hortco

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My Bingo doesn’t do the double takeoff- maybe because of the 52cc motor?
i flew it again today and watched for that but it just lifts off level and smooth-climbs quickly.
The vibration from the motor is an issue-when I did a low pass I noticed the right aileron was fluttering.
I landed right away and discovered that one of the screws holding the control horn was missing and the other one was loose!
I put Super Glue in the screw hole and put a new screw in- I then put a bit of glue on the other screw heads to prevent them from coming loose.
I probably won’t fly it all that much because I love 3-d stunt planes! Just flying a big plane around doesn’t do much for me.
Old 08-02-2018, 07:09 PM
BIGRCR
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yep, you have enough power to pull it into the air without much issue so it isnt just lifting off the turbulators which provide hugely to the wings lift. That is why it can fly off of such a wide range of engines. With all of that spruce and lite ply, there is not much to absorb the engine vibes, that is why I mounted the engine on lord mounts which helped a bit. Its still a great fun aircraft to fly even though I prefer my 40% Hempel Yak 55 and QQ 100.

BIGRCR-John Garst
Old 08-08-2018, 11:11 AM
jollyroger
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I bought a Bingo .40 from a former clubmember and when I had it finished, powered with a 40mm motor and 4S pack the plane was so tail heavy I had to add 6 oz. of lead up front. I've never had to do anything near that to get a plane to balance at the CG, even my BUSA Eindeckker .40 wasn't that tail heavy.
Before covering the fuse I removed some material from the sides in an attempt to lighten the frame. I know these are heavy planes as they are designed for 4 strike engines but even with all the weight of a good size motor and 4S pack still wasn't enough.
Thought about removing some material from the tail surfaces.
Old 08-09-2018, 04:08 AM
TomCrump

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by jollyroger View Post
I bought a Bingo .40 from a former clubmember and when I had it finished, powered with a 40mm motor and 4S pack the plane was so tail heavy I had to add 6 oz. of lead up front. I've never had to do anything near that to get a plane to balance at the CG, even my BUSA Eindeckker .40 wasn't that tail heavy.
Before covering the fuse I removed some material from the sides in an attempt to lighten the frame. I know these are heavy planes as they are designed for 4 strike engines but even with all the weight of a good size motor and 4S pack still wasn't enough.
Thought about removing some material from the tail surfaces.
Have you considered using a larger motor and battery pack ?It may aid you in balancing the model.