Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

Is Sierra Retracts still operating?

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Is Sierra Retracts still operating?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 05:26 PM
bhoffo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is Sierra Retracts still operating?

Hi all,
Just a question regarding Sierra retracts. I attempted to contact them several months ago and never received a response and am now wondering if the company is still operating. It doesn't appear that the web page has been updated for a considerable time either. I'm hoping to get some retracts for a 'Vailly' 92" Hurricane that I'm building but the companies that manufacture RC retracts seem to diminishing - hopefully this is not the case with Sierra but I'd hate to send a large amount of $$ to him and not get any response or even wait a long time for the gear to be shipped.

Any information or suggestions would be gratefully received!

Bruce
Old 08-01-2018, 06:54 PM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Just saw Darrell at WOD in July. They are alive and well. Please try again.
Old 08-01-2018, 07:55 PM
bhoffo

Thanks Bob. I'll give him another go.
Old 08-14-2018, 03:30 AM
Appowner
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Earlier this year I purchased a set of gear from them. Darrel is busy. The Landing gear is a side line to his machine shop. A phone call is the best way to get him but I would try several e-mails as well.
Old 08-22-2018, 01:22 PM
RonTins

I sent Darrell at Sierra Giants my nose struts for my Tommy Cessna 182 1/4 scale for him to make one for me. Its been almost 9 plus months and counting and still no nose struts. Every time I contact him via phone, his excuse is that he is waiting on his welder.
Old 08-25-2018, 06:26 AM
Appowner
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RonTins
I sent Darrell at Sierra Giants my nose struts for my Tommy Cessna 182 1/4 scale for him to make one for me. Its been almost 9 plus months and counting and still no nose struts. Every time I contact him via phone, his excuse is that he is waiting on his welder.
Do you know if that is a welding machine or the welder person he's waiting for?

I could see a delay for a machine that is down, but not 9 months. And as for a person? You could have taught someone in 9 months. Does not look good.

But I'll have to say the gear I purchased earlier this year are exquisite.
Old 08-25-2018, 09:16 PM
RonTins

Originally Posted by Appowner
Do you know if that is a welding machine or the welder person he's waiting for?

I could see a delay for a machine that is down, but not 9 months. And as for a person? You could have taught someone in 9 months. Does not look good.

But I'll have to say the gear I purchased earlier this year are exquisite.
I was informed he was waiting on his welder and its been more than 9 months. Every time I call, its the same story. At this point I may just request for my original gear and shop elsewhere as I am beginning to lose trust in the company.
Old 08-26-2018, 05:32 PM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Favoritism is the key word when dealing with Sierra. If you are well known, or a friend of on in the hobby circle you move to the front of the line. Otherwise you are always at the end. None of my money goes there due to that attitude.

Without a doubt makes great gear but getting some is a crap shoot.
Old 08-26-2018, 06:58 PM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I don' t think that's true at all.. Darrell IS a friend of mine and I've made things for him. Still I too am waiting on Retracts for a Bates Wildcat for well over 2 years. So I wasn't put at the "front of the line". Please explain that?
Old 08-27-2018, 09:33 AM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Experiences differ. Often read online posts from well known modelers, magazine reviewers. etc., that received retracts inside 30-40 days. Others like yourself still waiting.

It's a free country so Darrell can service, or not, customers however he wants. It will never be me.