Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Maxford Jenny 120 inch

Old 08-12-2018, 04:19 PM
pipercub55
My Feedback: (12)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Maxford Jenny 120 inch

,I am just about ready to fly my big Jenny by Maxford, but I need some help with its balance. I am following the manual at 5 inches from LE, and with a G62 it will still need a bit of weight in the nose. Can anyone who has had one of these offer advice on what balance point works the best? Thanks, fellows
Old 08-14-2018, 03:23 AM
Appowner

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

No experience with the Maxford but the Proctor Jenny at 87 inch wing balances around 3.5 inches back on the top wing. Considering the differences in size I'd say 5 inches was in the ball park. Considering the offset of the wings that balance point of 5 inches should be around 1/3 or 33% back from the top wing leading edge.

A Jenny is a big box kite and will tolerate being nose heavy far better than it does being tail heavy. In fact, it doesn't really tolerate being tail heavy. I'd balance where the plans say and maybe a touch more and then go fly.

The 120 inch of the Maxford divided by the 87 of the Proctor gives a factor of 1.38. This times the 3.5 balance of the Proctor gives a balance point on the Maxford of 4.8 inches. So 5 inches sounds right on the Maxford. Again, add maybe a touch more nose weight.

Last edited by Appowner; 08-14-2018 at 03:27 AM.