Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

Topflight gs p51 mustang —. been out of the hobby for awhile

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Topflight gs p51 mustang —. been out of the hobby for awhile

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2018, 06:33 PM
Robbie76

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Topflight gs p51 mustang —. been out of the hobby for awhile

So i couldnt pass up a great deal on this warbird arc kit — spent many hours on this forum and youtube getting tips and ideas - i started glassing it wanting realistic look - ill be using a da50 engine and trying to figure the best radio to get and servos - any tips or suggestions greatly appreciated
Old 08-31-2018, 05:22 AM
Appowner
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How long have you been out of the hobby?
What were you flying then?
What are you flying now?

A P-51 is NOT the best way to get back into this hobby. Strongly suggest that while building it you get an advanced trainer and get a lot of stick time in.
Old 08-31-2018, 06:34 AM
Robbie76

I understand that and of course ill be getting a good sized trainer — believe me ive read all about it and talked to few that have giant scales as well — the main thing thing is im enjoying this thing building it — and its been almost ten years and i know i need stick time — im just looking for more building tips advice etcetc — we have a great rc airfield here in colorado springs with helpful people to get me up to par so im not worried about that
Old 09-01-2018, 05:57 AM
Appowner
Banned

OK. I just wanted to make sure you weren't jumping into the deep end with weights on your ankles.

Radios? My preference is Spektrum or Futaba. Problem there is they are not compatible with each other. i.e. the Futaba Rx will NOT work with the Spektrum Tx and vice versa. There's an Asian knock off called FrSky which I think of as a Spektrum clone. Lower price, lots of features and rave reviews. I don't have one but you see people rave about them all the time.

Those are the TX/Rx combos I'd trust or at least try with reasonable confidence. I'd also suggest seeing what the local club prefers.

There seems to be a multitude of Asian clones now with dubious reputations. 'Orange" and 'Lemon' are two that come to mind. Some rave about them but I'd stay clear of them for now. You don't need to add the possibility of cheap junk to the learning process.

Servos are pretty much all interchangeable. However, there are the old analog type and the new digital type. Some digital are programmable through some means be it your PC, the TX or another device/tool you'll need to buy. Keep in mind a Futaba programmable servo must be programmed by a Futaba Tx. While you can use the servo with a Spektrum radio, you can't program it with the Spektrum Tx. Hence the ability to use your PC or some other tool. I tend to stick to analog servos except for the odd helicopter. Helicopters do benefit from digital servos.

There are also standard voltage and high voltage servos. The trick here is if you use a high voltage servo you either need a separate power source for it or a receiver that will handle the higher voltage. Most Rx I believe do not. I stick with Futaba or Hitec servos. There are much higher priced and I assume better quality servos out there but, my servo needs are pretty basic so I stick with what has proven themselves to me. I usually shop for servos at Servo City. Servo City Link They list all the specs so you can make a really informed decision.

Hope this all helps. I'll PM you with some more info.
Old 09-01-2018, 08:56 AM
Robbie76

Im pulling my hi tec servos from my 3d plane — which originally had the da 50 in it — all metal gear hi torque servos— i found a futaba system here 14sg so ill be going with that
Old 09-02-2018, 05:28 AM
Appowner
Banned

Originally Posted by Robbie76
Im pulling my hi tec servos from my 3d plane — which originally had the da 50 in it — all metal gear hi torque servos— i found a futaba system here 14sg so ill be going with that
Sounds like a good choice. BTW, if desired you can have it serviced and checked out at Radio South. However current industry conditions with the demise of Hobbico, Futaba parts are currently hard to get. Futaba is setting up their US service center in Huntsville, Al which will eventually correct the parts issue but for now..... You might also be able to get it serviced there. As for new batteries and such, there are a couple of 3rd party places that offer that sort of thing. Servo City I believe can supply batteries for radios. For radios I like to stick with Nicads or NiMh. Proven technology and I have yet to hear of one starting a fire.
Old 09-02-2018, 07:00 AM
Lee Taylor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Red face

I understand that and of course ill be getting a good sized trainer — believe me ive read all about it
Perfect! ... Consider purchasing a simulator also. A buddy box at the field (if they still make them) and/or have a very experienced pilot to hand the receiver to when you get in trouble. And believe me... you will get in trouble and you will hit the ground. I have 20 or so solo flights at the field and 30+ on my sim. I still occasionally hit the ground.

The good news... flying a 1/4 scale (sbach, extra, yak) at 40-50 mph airspeed is much easier than a .60 size screamer at 70+ mph

I remember my poor ol Senior Falcon trainer got repaired many times. Now days I make a point to mentally bring it to my personal attention when I become disoriented for one moment. I am fairly good at landing under power. It will not be long before I start practicing the dreaded dead stick landings
Old 09-02-2018, 07:15 AM
Lee Taylor

Just for you Robbie

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/oUfH1z3RJl8" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 09-04-2018, 02:58 PM
Robbie76

Good deal right now im trying to figure my firewall distance from spinner back plate to the wall using my da50— gs tooflight p51 — i wanna be sure as ive read 7 7/8inches but i wanna be sure — if any advice thanx or pics
Old 09-04-2018, 04:40 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

The manual says 7-1/2" to 7-3/4", I'd pop the cowl off mine and measure and take pics for you, but have a glue up one the work bench right now
Old 09-04-2018, 04:44 PM
Lee Taylor

Why don't you build the plane and then mount the engine accordingly? I have always been able to move my engine forwards and backwards a bit before major surgery is needed
Old 09-04-2018, 04:57 PM
scale only 4 me

Originally Posted by Lee Taylor
Why don't you build the plane and then mount the engine accordingly? I have always been able to move my engine forwards and backwards a bit before major surgery is needed
He's asking about an ARC model,, the planes is already built Firewall epoxied in,,,, just need to adjust the stand off spacing to the right length for the proper distance
Old 09-05-2018, 07:51 AM
Robbie76

Correct as im trying to find the correct spacing from back of spinner to wall — gs topflight p51 arc — using a da50
Old 09-05-2018, 10:51 AM
scale only 4 me

Not sure what you mean by "correct", if you mean the correct scale location,, that would be difficult to determine,,

as I said before the manual says mount within a range of 7-1/2" to 7-3/4"

good luck
Old 09-05-2018, 02:29 PM
Appowner
Banned

Correct as im trying to find the correct spacing from back of spinner to wall — gs topflight p51 arc — using a da50
The prop and spinner need to clear the front of the cowl by 1/16 -1/8 inch. Position your engine accordingly. Any space remaining between the engine mounts and the firewall needs to be taken up by a standoff of some kind. Be they 4 aluminum standoffs or a simple plywood box. The space needs to be filled.