Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

engine choice

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 02:43 PM
left seat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine choice

I will be purchasing the balsa usa 1/4 scale piper cub and plan to fly it off floats. I have two engines, a DLE 35 and a Zenoah G26. I was told that the Zenoah is a little underpowered for float flying, and that the DLE35 was the way to go. I,m not sure which engine I should use, any suggestions?
Old 09-25-2018, 01:01 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

The original Piper Cub, with floats attached did not undergo an engine replacement before flight. They simply planned on a longer takeoff run. I have a 105" Cub that is underpowered by most standards. With the floats on it needs twice the takeoff run and looks very realistic. If that is your goal, use the smaller engine and a large, low pitch prop. I have won Pilots' Choice awards many times with my Cub, while the over-powered versions with their vertical takeoffs are generally ignored.

In any event, enjoy your plane regardless of engine choice. The plane looks so great!
Old 09-25-2018, 05:47 AM
RCPilot100
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the 1/4 scale BUSA Cub with an pumped OS 120 on it. Plenty of power. While I don't fly it off of floats, I know it would have no problem doing so. I have a G26 converted to electronic ignition in my BUSA 1/4 scale Nieuport 28c-1 and it has way more pulling power than the OS 120. Comparing the two, I believe the G26 should have way more power than you need for the Cub in either configuration. That DLE would be way over power in my opinion.

Dan
Old 09-25-2018, 06:05 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I have flown quarter scale Cubs with a variety of engines including the DLE 30 and 35. While many consider the 30 and 35 over powered, I consider them almost ideal engines for a Cub with the 30 being my first choice. Except for the spark plug out the bottom of the cowl, they both fit entirely within the cowl and they swing scale or slightly larger props. I like the ability to fly along just above idle at scale like speed’s but when you want to get a bit crazy you have plenty of power to do it with. A DLE 20 is also a good choice for a Cub. I much prefer gas over any glo option. In many cases, it will be necessary to move the firewall back from the kit location.

Last edited by Truckracer; 09-25-2018 at 06:07 AM.
Old 09-25-2018, 08:44 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Truckracer
I have flown quarter scale Cubs with a variety of engines including the DLE 30 and 35. While many consider the 30 and 35 over powered, I consider them almost ideal engines for a Cub with the 30 being my first choice. Except for the spark plug out the bottom of the cowl, they both fit entirely within the cowl and they swing scale or slightly larger props. I like the ability to fly along just above idle at scale like speed’s but when you want to get a bit crazy you have plenty of power to do it with. A DLE 20 is also a good choice for a Cub. I much prefer gas over any glo option. In many cases, it will be necessary to move the firewall back from the kit location.
While I consider the 30 and 35cc engine choices to be too much power, you bring up another consideration. The G-26 requires the cowl to be cut extensively. If the OP wants an enclosed engine, the Zenoah isn't a good choice.
Old 09-25-2018, 11:02 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Many years ago, I used to see guys bring quarter scale Cubs out to the field with what seemed like giant engines in them. These were generally something like a Zenoah G 23 or a ST 3000 and I would just sort of turn away in disgust. Then around 2000 or so the Saito 150 and 180 became available and I tried those in Cubs and thought they were just great for a few years. Around 2010, the DLE 30 became available and I tried that engine in a Cub and completely fell in love with it. It had everything I was looking for in an engine to power a Cub. Lightweight, it runs clean, requires a smaller gas tank than a glow engine, it runs smoother than most other engines I have tried and overall it was just a much happier and pleasant engine to live with. You can just putt putt around with the throttle just over idle and do that all day long if you want. Or if you want to get wild and crazy, you have the power to do it with. So overall I guess I am a convert to larger engines in Cubs as long as they fit my requirements. I still don’t like to see a large, overweight, gutless engine in a Cub and I hate the mess from any glo engine.
Old 09-26-2018, 03:38 AM
Appowner
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think either engine will fly the plane in a safe and satisfactory manner. The question you need to ask yourself is "What kind of performance are you looking for?" Do you want it to fly like a Cub? Or like some 3D tail on fire hot rod? (Not suggesting the 35 would result in this.) And do you have the facilities (Runway) to support a "proper" Cub?

I'd say pick the engine that will fly it like the real thing with a little extra power in reserve. Like the real one, 75% power is cruise speed. And above all, have fun with it.