Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

Hangar-9 PA-18 Super Cub disappointments

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Hangar-9 PA-18 Super Cub disappointments

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2018, 06:05 AM
apalsson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hangar-9 PA-18 Super Cub disappointments

I joined RC Universe back in the 90īs while there was still some service and responsibility to be had from the Hobby Shops. After some 4 or 5 year hiatus from the Hobby, I decided to resume building and flying after moving back to Iceland
I suspect Horizon is far too big an advertiser here for me to ever be allowed to tell my story of the dealings with them, but I am going to try anyway.

While Horizon claim to be trading out of the US via an outfit called Borderfree, you better hope there is no product defect or damage to the goods you buy from them.
I bought the 1/4 PA-18 Super Cub and received a plane that was rattling loose inside the box with a subsequently broken fin and torn covering. The white of the covering has significant yellow bleed-through stains from the plywood underneath and looked more like a child had been playing than a professionally made ...product.
No visible damage to the box on the outside and therefore probably no way to blame the freight company.

As soon as I discovered the situation and the damage, I took a number of photos of it and sent to Horizon Hobby but as I suspected, they havenīt felt it warranted the courtesy of a reply whatsoever.
I then approached Borderfree who instantly replied, washing their hands of this completely telling me I was so much.better off contacting Horizon direct.
I guess my only option now will be to strip the plane entirely, repair the broken parts and the damage and then re-cover it with Monokote.
Pretty steep though to be hit for in excess of EUR800 for an average quality ARC

Thumbs down Horizon - you used to have a good reputation!
Old 11-08-2018, 08:25 AM
Tony Hallo

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts

Welcome back!
Old 11-08-2018, 09:09 AM
apalsson

Thanks Tony, long time no speak!
Old 11-08-2018, 11:32 AM
MaxSouthoz

That's scary. I'm hoping that my Night Radian arrives intact.
Old 11-08-2018, 12:49 PM
BelAirBob

Something funny going on then. Horizon has always been top notch with regard to customer Service. Let us know what happens I would try to contact them again

Bob
Old 11-08-2018, 09:14 PM
apalsson

Originally Posted by BelAirBob
Something funny going on then. Horizon has always been top notch with regard to customer Service. Let us know what happens I would try to contact them again

Bob
Not so sure what "top notch" is these days,
Since last week, I have been trying to e-mail the following addresses:
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

No reply whatsoever
Because of the time difference, Iīd have to call in the middle of my night and admit I havenīt done that yet

Last edited by apalsson; 11-08-2018 at 09:25 PM.
Old 11-08-2018, 10:13 PM
apalsson

Is there any official body in the US that a matter like this one can be appealed to, to force a retailer to stand by the service/support they promise in their trading terms and conditions?
I paid in excess of EUR 820 for this plane so I am not prepared to just walk away from my losses
Old 11-09-2018, 04:57 AM
BelAirBob

I believe those web addresses are wrong. It should be Www.horizonhobby.com. There is another company that has the www.horizon.com domain.

Bob
Old 11-09-2018, 05:03 AM
BelAirBob

Www.horizon.com is an organic food company. Try the horizonhobby domain. They bought Tower hobbies and are are in the process of merging the two companies so may take a few days longer to receive a response

Regards

bob
Old 11-09-2018, 07:58 AM
apalsson

Sorry Bob, these were the ones I used. I got the addresses off their website
Sad to hear they bought Tower, lack of competition is already creeping into the hobby, I can see
Now, I started trying to e-mail those people on Sunday, 4 November, now itīs Friday 9 November and not a hint of a reply, let alone a meaningful attempt to do the right thing.
Are there really bo official bodies you can appeal things like these to?

Old 11-09-2018, 09:19 PM
apalsson

I have been contacted by Horizon Hobby who have told me they are sending a replacement. It is a good outcome for me for which I am grateful
Old 11-10-2018, 05:38 AM
BelAirBob

Let us know how it flys once you get it in the air

Regards
Old 11-10-2018, 09:03 AM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by apalsson
I have been contacted by Horizon Hobby who have told me they are sending a replacement. It is a good outcome for me for which I am grateful
Even here in North America 5 days is very quick to get the reply and resolution you have gotten. I think you jumped the gun and didn't give them a reasonable time to respond. They did right by you and there doesn't have to be damage to the box to result in damage to the model from poor handling by the shipper. I think you need to edit your bad mouthing Horizon or at least apologize for your premature opinions of Horizon.

Dennis
Old 11-10-2018, 10:00 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Propworn
Even here in North America 5 days is very quick to get the reply and resolution you have gotten. I think you jumped the gun and didn't give them a reasonable time to respond. They did right by you and there doesn't have to be damage to the box to result in damage to the model from poor handling by the shipper. I think you need to edit your bad mouthing Horizon or at least apologize for your premature opinions of Horizon.

Dennis

Agree