Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

Ziroli Corsair & Evolution 7cyl 77cc Engine

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Ziroli Corsair & Evolution 7cyl 77cc Engine

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 06:06 AM
KGrenier

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ziroli Corsair & Evolution 7cyl 77cc Engine

Hi, This is my first time posting here. I plan on building the ziroli Corsair in the near future. I was wondering if anyone has used the Evolution 77cc radial engine in the Ziroli corsair.
Old 01-11-2019, 07:12 AM
Appowner
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

At 77cc the Evolution falls withing the suggested range of 62-85CC GAS. I however have no idea as to the reliability or power of this engine. In addition, do you plan on building it more as a sport model with medium details or full blown scale with every detail you can get in it? This will change the overall weight of the model and may require going with the biggest or even bigger than suggested engines. Retracts, flaps, every additional function adds weight.

My second concern is, this being your first post, what is your experience and skill level? Are you a seasoned builder or have you recently got into the hobby and are now chasing a dream model?

I would suggest you also visit this site. RC Scale You can join for free but are limited in what you can do. $20 a year gets you full access which is beyond worth it. You'll find build threads for the Ziroli kits there as well.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:13 AM
KGrenier

Originally Posted by Appowner
At 77cc the Evolution falls withing the suggested range of 62-85CC GAS. I however have no idea as to the reliability or power of this engine. In addition, do you plan on building it more as a sport model with medium details or full blown scale with every detail you can get in it? This will change the overall weight of the model and may require going with the biggest or even bigger than suggested engines. Retracts, flaps, every additional function adds weight.

My second concern is, this being your first post, what is your experience and skill level? Are you a seasoned builder or have you recently got into the hobby and are now chasing a dream model?

I would suggest you also visit this site. You can join for free but are limited in what you can do. $20 a year gets you full access which is beyond worth it. You'll find build threads for the Ziroli kits there as well.
Appowner, Thank you for your response. I am a experienced builter / pilot. I have been in the hobby for 30 years now. Although I have not been active for the last few years. I am retiring soon and plan on being more active.
My Corsair build will be my first full blown scale project. My question stems from my lack of knowledge about the Evolution 77 radial engine. On paper it has roughly the same performance as the Zenoha G-62. But I'm interested if anyone has first had experience with this engine in the Ziroli Corsair.
Thanks
Old 01-11-2019, 04:19 PM
rvnrcer
My Feedback: (4)

KGrenier,

I have one of these engines. I bought it with the intention of putting it in a Hanger 9 Corsair. I did install it in the Hanger 9 Corsair and was not at all pleased with the performance. This engine had no where near the
speed and pulling power that the DLE 55 I started with did. In my opinion, it was barely enough power to get plane off the ground and I struggled to get it back on the ground. It did fly once it was airborne and flaps and retracts were up but was a hand full. I did not use the exhaust collector ring and just let the exhaust pipes exit through the back of the cowl. I used a McDaniel ignition box and the recommended mix of a gallon of 15% glow fuel and a gallon of methanol. I ran engine on a test stand for 2 hours before installing it in plane. The engine overheated and sagged during flight. I didn't add any baffling but there was plenty of airflow through the cowl. As far as recommending the engine for a bigger airplane, I would say absolutely NO. I am looking to sell the engine I have as It is a cool engine and sounds awesome, but I wont put it in another airplane. Hope this helps

Keith
Old 01-11-2019, 04:35 PM
KGrenier

Originally Posted by rvnrcer
KGrenier,

I have one of these engines. I bought it with the intention of putting it in a Hanger 9 Corsair. I did install it in the Hanger 9 Corsair and was not at all pleased with the performance. This engine had no where near the
speed and pulling power that the DLE 55 I started with did. In my opinion, it was barely enough power to get plane off the ground and I struggled to get it back on the ground. It did fly once it was airborne and flaps and retracts were up but was a hand full. I did not use the exhaust collector ring and just let the exhaust pipes exit through the back of the cowl. I used a McDaniel ignition box and the recommended mix of a gallon of 15% glow fuel and a gallon of methanol. I ran engine on a test stand for 2 hours before installing it in plane. The engine overheated and sagged during flight. I didn't add any baffling but there was plenty of airflow through the cowl. As far as recommending the engine for a bigger airplane, I would say absolutely NO. I am looking to sell the engine I have as It is a cool engine and sounds awesome, but I wont put it in another airplane. Hope this helps

Keith
Thanks Keith, Not what I wanted to hear. But it's exactly what I needed to know. I'm thinking that I will stick with the Zenoha G62 or 80 twin.
Thank you for your help
Old 01-12-2019, 01:30 PM
David Jackson
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you consider the five cylinder Moki 180? Fewer cylinders than the Evolution 77, but I think it has greater power. It is twice the cost of the Evolution.
Old 01-13-2019, 05:54 AM
KGrenier

Originally Posted by David Jackson
Have you consider the five cylinder Moki 180? Fewer cylinders than the Evolution 77, but I think it has greater power. It is twice the cost of the Evolution.
I have not looked into any other radial enginrs. I will have to check them out
Thanks
Old 01-13-2019, 06:05 AM
Appowner
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by David Jackson
At over twice the displacement of the Evolution, I would hope it has more power.