Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

First Time Purchasing Giant Scale Gas, Opininons Please

Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

First Time Purchasing Giant Scale Gas, Opininons Please

Old 01-14-2019, 05:07 PM
mikeyost12

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Question First Time Purchasing Giant Scale Gas, Opininons Please

I have been in the RC Hobby for 6 years now and have only flown Nitro and Electric Aircraft up to this point. The largest Nitro I have is a Suhkoi that runs on a Saito 180. I am wanting to get into a Gas Airplane and would just like your opinion on what plane I should look at buying and why? Size? I am thinking of going 50CC. Any information will be helpful
Old 01-14-2019, 05:40 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

What type of airplane are you wanting? Scale, Warbird, aerobatic? Do you want to fly 3D, IMAC or sport fly? Are you on a limited budget or would you like the best money can buy without throwing money away?
Old 01-14-2019, 05:48 PM
mikeyost12

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I would be looking for either scale or aerobatic and I dont need the best of the best, I just want something that is good quality. I would like to keep the total purchase of the plane with all electronics under $1500
Old 01-14-2019, 06:21 PM
speedracerntrixie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Going to be impossible to get a quality/reliable package for that price. I suggest airplanes by Extreme flight, AJ Aircraft and Pilot R/C. Those manufacturers average 650.00 plus shipping for an airframe. Servos, the best bang for the buck would be some of the Hitec 79xx series. I really like the 7955TG. Savox is also a good value. Engine preference is always a hot topic. After running 3W, DA, DLE, ZDZ, D&B my preference is DA. I have owned 50cc, 100cc and 150cc DA engines and they have all run great and are user friendly. There will be claims that the DLE 55 runs just as well however everyone will agree that DA customer service is the gold standard. The last DA engine Imowned was a 150 that had 2,000 runs on it before hitting the dirt . I am currently flying a 3W 70cc twin. That brings up the next thing. With the budget you set for yourself you may look into the pre owned market. Many guys will sell off their 50cc stuff to finance the move to a larger airplane. That 70cc 3W engine I mentioned was purchased along with Reed Falcon Biplane for 500.00. Of course by the time I collected all the servos, linkages, extensions and little hardware bits I was 1,200.00 deep.
Old 01-14-2019, 08:28 PM
Tom Nied

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'm no expert but you might want to drop down in size a bit. I've got a Great Planes Giant Super Sporster with a DLE 35ra for about that price ceiling. And it's a nice plane, although no longer available. No problems with the DLE, starts great and seems plenty powerful for the Giant Super Sporster. My DLE 35ra starts so predictably. I guarantee one thing. You'll spend more money than you originally planned. But that's ok, It's part of the game you have to accept.
Old 01-14-2019, 09:05 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Pilot Extra
50cc Extra 330SC ARF, from Pilot RC, prc-ext330-31 - Chief Aircraft Inc.

DLE 60 Twin Buy it from Valley View for the best service you can get
https://www.valleyviewrc.com/dle-60cc-twin-gas-engines

Savox servos
https://pacificrcjets.com/collection...titanium-servo

Then add your own radio and such after that. You wont be disappointed.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:03 AM
speedracerntrixie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by Desertlakesflying View Post
Pilot Extra
50cc Extra 330SC ARF, from Pilot RC, prc-ext330-31 - Chief Aircraft Inc.

DLE 60 Twin Buy it from Valley View for the best service you can get
https://www.valleyviewrc.com/dle-60cc-twin-gas-engines

Savox servos
https://pacificrcjets.com/collection...titanium-servo

Then add your own radio and such after that. You wont be disappointed.
Yes, that would be a really nice setup. A good value for what would look like a 2,000.00 investment. Good call.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:50 AM
mikeyost12

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I did start looking in the pre-owned market and I am actually talking with a gentleman now and probably going to go ahead with the purchase. It is a 92” Raven made by AJ Aircraft. It is ready to fly with a DA70 engine and savox 1270tg servos for $1600.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:30 AM
speedracerntrixie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That would be a really good way to go. 70cc is a really good size. Large enough to fly really well but not too big. Just take some time to look it over really well. If the engine cylinders look a little pink in color itís a good indicator that the engine has been run hot. Not really a red flag though. If you can, post pictures when you get it.
Old 01-19-2019, 04:33 PM
mikeyost12

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quick question, I am selling my Spacewalker 120 size and I was flying that with the Spektrum AR6210 receiver. Is that receiver sufficient enough to put into the 70CC aircraft I am getting? It has 6 channels which I will need all of them for the new plane. It shouldn’t be a problem because I can assign channel 5 (gear) to one of the elevator servos and channel 6 to one of the aileron servos
Old 01-19-2019, 07:02 PM
speedracerntrixie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

When it comes to Spektrum gear I prefer to run a minimum of one satilite receiver and feel much better with two. I would not fly a gasser with that receiver but I am sure that others have done it without issues. Regardless of what receiver you end up using, always do a very comprehensive range check both with the engine running and not running. If you loose more then 10% range with the engine running fix the issue before flying.
Old 01-20-2019, 05:36 AM
mikeyost12

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie View Post
When it comes to Spektrum gear I prefer to run a minimum of one satilite receiver and feel much better with two. I would not fly a gasser with that receiver but I am sure that others have done it without issues. Regardless of what receiver you end up using, always do a very comprehensive range check both with the engine running and not running. If you loose more then 10% range with the engine running fix the issue before flying.
what receiver do you run? I want to make sure I do everything right
Old 01-20-2019, 05:55 AM
speedracerntrixie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I would use the AR12120
Old 01-20-2019, 06:39 AM
Tom Nied

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I use an original Spektrum Ar6210. Comes with a remote Rx. Have had no problems with this Rx.
Old 01-20-2019, 08:28 AM
mikeyost12

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I was thinking about, if the gentleman I am buying this airplane from has a optical kill set up for the transmitter, I am assuming that has to take its own channel. That would leave me with 6 servos and the optical kill so I would need 7 channels total. The AR6210 is a 6 channel receiver so it wouldn’t work. Am I thinking along the right lines here?
Old 01-20-2019, 08:39 AM
Tom Nied

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have and use the optical kill on my Great Planes Giant Super Sporster. Rudder, Elevator (2 servos with a "Y"), each aileron (2), Thottle, optical kill. 6 channels.
Old 01-20-2019, 08:48 AM
mikeyost12

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by Tom Nied View Post
I have and use the optical kill on my Great Planes Giant Super Sporster. Rudder, Elevator (2 servos with a "Y"), each aileron (2), Thottle, optical kill. 6 channels.
The Y Harness scares me though. I lost a nice fourstar 60 because the Y harness took a crap on me mid air. I also had a buddy at our club lose 2 of his planes because of Y Harness failures. I know electronics are electronics and everything has the ability to fail though
Old 01-20-2019, 08:56 AM
speedracerntrixie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Mike, Iím currently at work right now. When I get home I will give an in depth explanation on a few different options.
Old 01-20-2019, 08:56 AM
Tom Nied

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It took a "crap"? Did it become disconnected? Did you use Heat Shrink tubing over the connection so that it wouldn't come loose? Was the "Y" good to begin with? Any connection can fail, "Y" or not. You can run another channel and maybe even that could fail on you. But do what you feel comfortable with.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:36 AM
mikeyost12

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Mike, Iím currently at work right now. When I get home I will give an in depth explanation on a few different options.
sounds good, thank you
Old 01-20-2019, 10:39 AM
mikeyost12

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by Tom Nied View Post
It took a "crap"? Did it become disconnected? Did you use Heat Shrink tubing over the connection so that it wouldn't come loose? Was the "Y" good to begin with? Any connection can fail, "Y" or not. You can run another channel and maybe even that could fail on you. But do what you feel comfortable with.
i really donít know what happened, I did use heat shrink tubing, it was working fine on preflight check, I was about 4 minutes into my flight and all of the sudden, the ailerons were not working on opposite directions, they started to work in the same direction. I tried to use the rudder to bring it in but it was not successful. But to your point, I agree that anything electronically can fail. I do like running the ails on separate channels specifically for programming and trim benefits also
Old 01-20-2019, 03:58 PM
speedracerntrixie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for bearing with me Mike, I usually don't need to work Sundays but gotta keep the schedule. A few things I learned when I was flying Spektrum. The most important thing is to have a setup that does not experience a large voltage drop under load. I tend to go a bit overkill here however for the few years that I did fly Spektrum I did not experience any Brown outs. With a 70 cc airplane I strongly suggest two power inputs into the RX. A single is just not going to cut it. So with a 6 channel RX in order to do that you would have to use a Y connector that would run to your rudder servo and a switch. Not the ideal setup but it would work. I also do not like mechanical switches on gas powered airplanes. I have seen more then my share of them fail. The RX I suggested solves a few issues. First off there are two battery inputs with 16 gauge wire. That eliminates any chance of voltage drop under load. The switch is a solid state deal and does not suffer the effects of vibration. If it fails, it will fail in the on position. It also affords you enough channels that you can properly mix the dual ailerons and elevators. You indicated earlier that you are aware of just how important it is to have those independent adjustments.

With all this said, I would use the power safe RX with two satellites, two 3,000 mah LiFe batteries and a Tech Aero ignition battery eliminator. It will cost you a bit more money but will be very reliable and it lets you move up to a bigger airplane later.
Old 01-20-2019, 04:15 PM
mikeyost12

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for bearing with me Mike, I usually don't need to work Sundays but gotta keep the schedule. A few things I learned when I was flying Spektrum. The most important thing is to have a setup that does not experience a large voltage drop under load. I tend to go a bit overkill here however for the few years that I did fly Spektrum I did not experience any Brown outs. With a 70 cc airplane I strongly suggest two power inputs into the RX. A single is just not going to cut it. So with a 6 channel RX in order to do that you would have to use a Y connector that would run to your rudder servo and a switch. Not the ideal setup but it would work. I also do not like mechanical switches on gas powered airplanes. I have seen more then my share of them fail. The RX I suggested solves a few issues. First off there are two battery inputs with 16 gauge wire. That eliminates any chance of voltage drop under load. The switch is a solid state deal and does not suffer the effects of vibration. If it fails, it will fail in the on position. It also affords you enough channels that you can properly mix the dual ailerons and elevators. You indicated earlier that you are aware of just how important it is to have those independent adjustments.

With all this said, I would use the power safe RX with two satellites, two 3,000 mah LiFe batteries and a Tech Aero ignition battery eliminator. It will cost you a bit more money but will be very reliable and it lets you move up to a bigger airplane later.
I really appreciate all of that information. Is there any way you could post some photos of some of your set ups so I can also see what you are referring to? The plane I am buying does have a tech aero IBEC installed in it and also he has a Dual Redundancy pin flag switch. I want to buy the airplane exactly how he had it set up, so he is going to make sure I have all of that in the plane along with the batteries he used in the plane which are only a couple flights old. I dont know much about the Redundancy Pin Flag and Tech Aero IBEC but I am assuming those are good things to have in the plane.
Old 01-20-2019, 05:10 PM
speedracerntrixie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Fairly common setup. Dual batteries, Magnetic solid state switch with dual inputs, dual outputs.

Top left is the IBEC in this case set to 6V. Ignition is bottom right. Although it is a 3W engine, it is fitted with an RCEXL ignition.
It sounds like a well thought out airplane already. It would seem you only need to buy a receiver with enough channels. I would like to see a picture of the setup once you get the airplane.

Last edited by speedracerntrixie; 01-20-2019 at 05:22 PM.
Old 01-20-2019, 05:29 PM
mikeyost12

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Here are some photos he sent me of the setup

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service