Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Gas to Use? Oil? Mix Ratio?

Old 02-09-2019, 04:41 PM
mikeyost12

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Question Gas to Use? Oil? Mix Ratio?

Ok, I know this could be all over the board but want to ask just to get some general ideas. I recently purchased my first giant scale gas airplane, a 92Ē raven. I want to know what you all recommend for gas? What you recommend for oil? Good mix ratio?
Here is what I am thinking of running. I am thinking of getting Recreational 90 gas which is ethanol free and using the Stihl HP Ultra oil which comes in small 2.6 fluid ounce bottles. I am thinking one entire bottle to one gallon of gas. Thoughts? Could I get away with getting 91 or 93 gas at the gas station or is the rec 90 my best option? Is the Stihl oil the right route to go with one bottle to a gallon of gas?

I appreciate any feedback
Old 02-09-2019, 06:07 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

What engine?
Old 02-09-2019, 06:19 PM
mikeyost12

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie View Post
what engine?
da70
Old 02-09-2019, 07:11 PM
speedracerntrixie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The DA manual will read something like run the first few gallons at 40:1 and then switch to 50:1 and suggest Redline synthetic for break in and the life of the engine.
My personal experience is break in with 40:1 and switch to 50:1 using any quality air cooled 2 stroke oil. The only oil I recommend against is Amzoil
Old 02-09-2019, 07:23 PM
mikeyost12

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The DA manual will read something like run the first few gallons at 40:1 and then switch to 50:1 and suggest Redline synthetic for break in and the life of the engine.
My personal experience is break in with 40:1 and switch to 50:1 using any quality air cooled 2 stroke oil. The only oil I recommend against is Amzoil
thank you, I appreciate the information. I purchased this plane off another gentleman so break in should be good. What I was reading was that one small bottle of that Stihl Ultra HP oil with 1 gallon of fuel is a 50:1 mix. I am assuming that should be fine then? I do know that Stihl is a synthetic oil
Old 02-10-2019, 05:52 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I run everything on ethanol free and Redline 40:1

Weed wackers, DA, DLE, GP, all of them
Old 02-10-2019, 07:33 AM
speedracerntrixie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Agreed, nothing wrong with sticking to 40:1. In fact since I buy my oil in quart sizes I have actually gone to using 3 oz per gallon. I have a ton of 3 oz mixing cups so I just fill one of those and dump it into the gas can. Everyone has their favorite oil, I have used at least 6 different brands and didn't really notice any difference. Before it hit the dirt I had a DA 150 that had over 2,000 runs on it and was still running great. I currently have a 3W 70 twin with unknown use on it that does very well on the same mix.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:02 AM
mikeyost12

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Agreed, nothing wrong with sticking to 40:1. In fact since I buy my oil in quart sizes I have actually gone to using 3 oz per gallon. I have a ton of 3 oz mixing cups so I just fill one of those and dump it into the gas can. Everyone has their favorite oil, I have used at least 6 different brands and didn't really notice any difference. Before it hit the dirt I had a DA 150 that had over 2,000 runs on it and was still running great. I currently have a 3W 70 twin with unknown use on it that does very well on the same mix.

thank you for the info, so 3 ounces of oil to 1 part gas is considered a 40:1 mix... so I am assuming that 2.6 fluid ounces of oil to one gallon of gas is 50:1. I just donít want to run the mixture to lean or rich and damage the motor
Old 02-10-2019, 08:27 AM
speedracerntrixie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well.....it's not quite 40:1. It is an easy way for me to mix my fuel and it is plenty of oil for the engines I run. There are other things that should be considered as well to get maximum life out of your engine. Of course the correct mixture is at the top of the list. It is possible to set a gasser on the lean side and it will just keep running until you score a cylinder. Usually when running a twin I will install a baffle to direct airflow through the cylinder fins. I almost consider this a must.
Old 02-10-2019, 03:45 PM
mikeyost12

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well.....it's not quite 40:1. It is an easy way for me to mix my fuel and it is plenty of oil for the engines I run. There are other things that should be considered as well to get maximum life out of your engine. Of course the correct mixture is at the top of the list. It is possible to set a gasser on the lean side and it will just keep running until you score a cylinder. Usually when running a twin I will install a baffle to direct airflow through the cylinder fins. I almost consider this a must.
Having a baffle is critical from everything that I have been reading. I was happy to see that the previous owner did install the baffle
Old 02-10-2019, 07:21 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Another vote for 40:1 w/Redline oil. Everything I own gets that.

Mikey, if you need a mixing cup, go to your local motorcycle or cart shop and pick up a Ratio Rite. Ratio Right, Ratio Rite Measuring Cup Home Check it out. They're about $6 on EBay, a bit more at a local shop.

You can't go wrong with these. No math to it. You pick your "gallon" amount at the top of the cup, add the appropriate amount of oil to the ratio line underneath said "gallon" amount, pour that in your gas can (recommend oil in first before gas, as when you add gas it will mix it very well), and just buy the exact amount of gas (I don't count on that I can stop the machine exactly).. done and done.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:31 AM
bentwings

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Non oxy premium has no ethanol. Then Redline at your ratio.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:39 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by mikeyost12 View Post

thank you for the info, so 3 ounces of oil to 1 part gas is considered a 40:1 mix... so I am assuming that 2.6 fluid ounces of oil to one gallon of gas is 50:1. I just donít want to run the mixture to lean or rich and damage the motor
It's possible to tear up a motor by running too lean a mixture. You can't hurt it, other than maybe fouling the plug, by running more oil than needed, you just make a mess on the bottom of the plane you have to clean up
Old 02-11-2019, 03:39 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The difference between 40:1 and maybe 32:1 is very minor. I stay with 32:1 for several reasons. The main reason being I can use that ratio in every 2 stroke engine I own. Another reason , some of the Chinese engines seem to last better with a bit more oil ... though with improved bearings these days I'm not sure there is much difference. I can't detect any difference in the amount of oil residue on the plane when comparing 32:1 to 40:1. Using Red Line, carbon is a non-issue.

I don't use a mixing vile because I really hate them. The are always messy and are real dust catchers when not in use. I prefer to pre measure the oil into Nalgene bottles that have oz/ graduations on them. I use 4 oz. bottles but if I was mixing large quantities of fuel, I could use larger bottles. I bought the bottles on Ebay some years ago and you can get them in most any size you want. When I mix fuel, I just add the number of bottles as needed to how ever many gallons of gas I'm mixing. Quick, easy, idiot proof and zero mess. I buy Red Line oil by the gallon or in cases of 16 oz bottles, whatever is cheapest at the time. This system might not be for everyone but it works for me.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:56 PM
mikeyost12

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thank you all for your input, I am going to post this picture, is this the redline oil that everyone is using?

Old 02-11-2019, 11:49 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That's what I use. I buy the 16oz bottle at this point though. That makes me roughly 5 gallons at 40:1(give or take). That gallon jug is enough for about 40 gallons give or take at 40:1.

It might depend on how much you fly as to whether you want to spend $88 all at once, and have enough for 40 gallons, or spend about $12 for 16oz.

If you do the math, there's 8 of the 16oz bottles in that jug. 8 x $12 = about $96. From what I see you save about $8 buying a gallon, but you have to shell out $88 all at once to save that $8.

I do fly quite a bit, at least 3 times a week, and I mix 2 gallons of gas at a time, that lasts me almost 2 weeks, sometimes a bit less if I fly more. I hope that makes sense.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:13 AM
Truckracer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I usually buy a case of the bottles. Much more convenient to use and store than the gallon. Much less messy. If you look around there are always deals and the bottles are very little more expensive, if any, than a gallon.
Old 02-13-2019, 04:22 AM
dhal22

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by mikeyost12 View Post

thank you, I appreciate the information. I purchased this plane off another gentleman so break in should be good. What I was reading was that one small bottle of that Stihl Ultra HP oil with 1 gallon of fuel is a 50:1 mix. I am assuming that should be fine then? I do know that Stihl is a synthetic oil
Very simple to use the small Stihl 50-1 mix bottle. I've done it for years, both DA and 3W.
Old 02-13-2019, 07:30 AM
A. J. Clark

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I like to use the 8oz bottles of oil. Mix it with 2 1/2 gal gas. Gives about 40:1 mixture. Put it in clear gal gugs and then I can always see how much I have. Works for me.
Old 02-13-2019, 04:37 PM
Truckracer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by A. J. Clark View Post
I like to use the 8oz bottles of oil. Mix it with 2 1/2 gal gas. Gives about 40:1 mixture. Put it in clear gal gugs and then I can always see how much I have. Works for me.
That is certainly easy enough.
Old 02-13-2019, 05:11 PM
dhal22

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Easy is good. More flying that way.
Old 02-14-2019, 06:29 AM
thevirginian

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I mix all of my gas with Stihl Premium 2Cycle oil. I also use a one liter container and a metric syringe for the oil. It's a lot easier to calculate the proper mixing proportions, if you do it in metric. For break-in, I would go with 25:1 for the first gallon (approx. 4 liter of fuel). Then you can go with 32:1, or 40:1. Stihl is a suburb oil and easily available at your local Land & Coats stores. I've been running Stihl for years without any issues, what so ever.
Old 02-14-2019, 07:34 AM
speedracerntrixie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I see some of you guys reccomend some pretty high levels of oil. Keep in mind that this will contribute to the mid range burble / sluggishness that are common with Walbro carbs. Granted some engines last much longer with with more oil due to quality issues but the topic engine here is a DA 70. After break in you can run a DAa engine on 50:1 for decades without any oil related issues.
Old 02-15-2019, 09:02 AM
Truckracer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Looking back at the original OP post, it could have been 90% answered with a single word. "YES". Threads tend to drift and we're all a bit guilty of contributing to that.
Old 02-15-2019, 05:21 PM
dhal22

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'm talking 3W here but considering the discussion of richer oil mixes some recommendations seem to be a bit high. I was 40-1 until Gerhard of Aircraft International told me to reduce to 50-1. Many years later my 3W runs perfectly (with Stihl).