Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Using dual receivers

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 05:32 PM
RC Ed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using dual receivers

I'm putting a Great Planes Citabria together and want to use two receivers.
I'm using a Spektrum DX8 transmitter and a AR8010T receiver as the main in the fuselage. I have a new AR620 receiver I want to put in the wing to drive the ailerons and flaps. This receiver will be completely independent with its own battery.
The reason is, I don't like cables running through the cockpit.
I checked with Horizon and the person I was in contact with was not very receptive to the idea. I know I'm not the first or only one to have thought of this.
My real conundrum is, that they did say both receivers would have to be Spektrum, or the same manufacturer, but both could not be Telemetry. Therein lies my problem as both receivers I have are telemetry and it seems all new Spektrum receivers are.
Has anyone used a setup like this with two telemetry receivers?
I do have some Orange receivers I could use. The nice part about those is I can turn off the telemetry on one during the bind procedure.
But, I really wanted to use the Spektrums.
Old 03-06-2019, 04:53 AM
CESSNA 421
My Feedback: (17)

This is not an answer to your question but IMHO I have never felt dual receiver were of any benefit for the following reasons: I never could figure out which controls to put on which receiver to ensure that if one of the receivers failed how would the servo end up in the center position and not cause a crash, the next reason is with the receiver technology we have today the receivers are less likely to ever fail before items such as switch harness or batteries. Remember the more complex a system becomes the more likely there will be a failure of one of the components.
Old 03-06-2019, 06:36 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 350 Likes on 280 Posts

That's not the case here, he's trying to clean up the wiring, I've done the same on a float plane so when the floats are installed there's no ugly wires running around the outside but the water rudder is functional.

I'm not sure about the answer to the telemetry receivers. I know that to bind two rx's to a single model memory works just fine but they have to be the same class as far as resolution and speed. Once that is matched up it works.
Old 03-06-2019, 08:37 AM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I can't help you with the telemetry issue either. I've seen this done on a 60% Cub where the owner had installed 4 receivers. One in the tail to control the elevator and rudder, one in the nose to control throttle and choke, and one on each wing to control aileron and flaps. Absolutely no cables to connect at the field. Just remember to charge 4 battery packs before flying. And of course turn on (and off) 4 switches.

Rafael
Old 03-29-2019, 07:26 AM
RC Ed

Sorry about late posting, just been busy.
Official answer from Spektrum was that it will work. I suspected this because both receivers bind and controls operate as programed.
The bigger question was what happens with telemetry, which I have no desire to monitor, at least at this point.
The AR620 receiver reports telemetry when within 450' of the transmitter, while the AR8010T reports within this range and further. So, when the plane is within 450' the telemetry reporting will conflict with one another and basically cancel out, i.e. no telemetry messages. was out of this range, the AR8010T will continue reporting.
As far as the binding procedure, you have to bind each receiver independently, not both at the same time.
So, I bind the AR8010T and once bound I turn off that receiver and the transmitter. Then I bind the AR620 and once bound I shut that and the transmitter down. Now when I power up both receivers are working.
Also, both receivers must operate at the same RF speed. Basically if you use multiple receivers of the same manufacturer and same protocol, you are good to go. no DSM2 with DSMX, no 2048 steps with 1024.

Happy experimenting!