Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

OS Gememini Twin

Old 09-26-2019, 03:55 PM
left seat

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default OS Gememini Twin

I am building a 1\4 scale Cub and I intend to put floats on it. My question is do you think that the OS Gemeni 160 twin has enough power to fly this plane? Also, what weight should I be shooting for. I know the lighter it is it will need less power but with floats, extra drag and extra battery for the on board glow I'm thinking a larger power plant might be necessary. I have a DL 35 but because of its size I would need to modify the fuse, something I don't want to do, any suggestions?
Old 09-27-2019, 10:13 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

For that application I think you would be disappointed in the power of the 160 twin. They’re a very nice novelty engine but not a great power plant for every day use. Just my opinion though. I have a SIG Cub with a DLE 35. The only real modifications I did was to move the firewall back to allow for the engine to cowl mounting distance and removed the bulkheads under the decking between the windshield and the firewall to allow for access to the engine mounting bolts behind the firewall. The way the kit is designed, for any engine the top mounting bolts are forever sealed in place so many people modify that area anyway to allow for bolt access. Other than that the 35 or even the DLE 30 fit very well in the Cub and are a great match for the airframe.
Old 09-27-2019, 02:21 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I disagree. I flew one many times with a OS Gemini 1.20. It didn't have floats but had plenty of power. That being said, it would not hang on the prop, but it's a Cub. This one was a 1/4 Scale Balsa USA kit built. I don't recall the weight. It was covered in iron on fabric and had the full wing. Only other advise I would give is put as much of the equipment as you can to the front. The nose is so stubby it was hard to get the CG right. Even with the flight battery and battery for the on board glow it needed some lead.

David
Old 10-02-2019, 03:13 PM
retransit
My Feedback: (18)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have a Balsa USA 1/4 scale Cub. After a couple of extensive repairs and some ballast, it now weighs 20.5 lbs. I originally had a 1.60 twin on it before the repairs and it was marginal at best. I went with Saito 1.80 single and it has power to spare. I have found twins to be down on power compared to like displacement singles. I think with floats, you should look at something larger in displacement.
Old 10-02-2019, 04:14 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by retransit View Post
I have a Balsa USA 1/4 scale Cub. After a couple of extensive repairs and some ballast, it now weighs 20.5 lbs. I originally had a 1.60 twin on it before the repairs and it was marginal at best. I went with Saito 1.80 single and it has power to spare. I have found twins to be down on power compared to like displacement singles. I think with floats, you should look at something larger in displacement.
That was my line of thinking also. Also, I like the clean and simple operation that gas gives me. Almost no cleanup after a day of flying. Everyone has their own preferences though.
Old 10-06-2019, 05:28 PM
bryanmiick

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have a sig 1/4 scale cub that I fly with an OS gt22, I have a friend with the same kit with the 160 twin OS in it, his has more power than mine but both fly well. my plane has over 400 flites and countless touch and goes, his has probably 200 or more flites. Both planes weigh about 16 lbs
Old 10-07-2019, 03:16 AM
Tony Hallo

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Looks cold!!!
Old 10-10-2019, 04:34 AM
dhal22

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by Tony Hallo View Post
Looks cold!!!

As in no way am I flying that day cold!!
Old 11-04-2019, 06:55 PM
RonTins

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have a Hangar 9 Cessna 182 with a 96" wingspan weighing in at close to 29 pounds if not a little more, spinning a 16x8 three blade propeller and the OS FT-160 flies it with more than enough power. I did find that my 16x10 three blade propeller produced less power though but to answer your question, yes it has enough power to fly your bird on floats.