Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

The Top flite giant P51D

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

The Top flite giant P51D

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2022, 09:53 PM
Pilot_Guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Top flite giant P51D

I have a chance to get the old, TopFlite Giant edition P51D for 450.00, in original box, complete and unbuilt. I have built several trainers and a couple sport planes and my current is a Hangar 9 Carbon Cub ARF. I have never built anything as a big as the TopFlite P51 from the ground up. The plane is 5 hours drive from me as the owner will not ship. I can't buy these new anymore, so I guess I'll have to just take a trip and get it. So my question is, how is that s plane? Does it fly very well and is it pretty close to being scale? Will it be worth 450 and a days drive to get it? It sure does look nice and I always wanted this kit when I saw it on tower years ago.... I just didn't know if I could handle it back then, but now I think I can. This will probably be my last chance to get one, should I go for it? Thanks. Also if there are better options for a giant scale P51 that is a complete kit, let me know.
Old 02-27-2022, 08:19 AM
ForcesR

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I would consider purchasing the TF Giant P51D kit from Carolina Custom Kits. It's an updated kit and is a bit easier to build than the original P51D kit from TF. See the link I have provided. https://carolinacustomkits.com/shop/...-giant-corsair
Old 02-27-2022, 09:07 AM
Pilot_Guy

That is genius.

It's pretty nice that someone is cutting kits for us when the original companies seem to be fading away. This version is for sure on my watch list, it's probably even better than the original TF version. Thanks, a lot....
Old 02-28-2022, 01:39 PM
ohnow
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pilot_Guy
Does it fly very well and is it pretty close to being scale? Will it be worth 450 and a days drive to get it?
I just bought a built one and one NIB. They originally sold for $800 and probably additional shipping as the box is huge. It should only go up in value unless people start replicating them enough to fill the marketplace.....while they need to build up a reputation too. Personally, I would buy it hands down at $450. The person I bought mine from has a DLE 61 and this place was the fastest in his fleet and was his most favorite to fly. Good Luck!
Old 03-02-2022, 06:21 AM
Pilot_Guy

Originally Posted by ohnow
I just bought a built one and one NIB. They originally sold for $800 and probably additional shipping as the box is huge. It should only go up in value unless people start replicating them enough to fill the marketplace.....while they need to build up a reputation too. Personally, I would buy it hands down at $450. The person I bought mine from has a DLE 61 and this place was the fastest in his fleet and was his most favorite to fly. Good Luck!
I'm torn between getting this or putting my money towards collecting the plan set and accessories to build a Ziroli P51. I'm currently learning to build from plans and when I am confident I'll build the Ziroli. Not sure what to do right now, bit the guy will not ship the T.F P51, I'm 6 hours away
Old 03-03-2022, 09:17 AM
Pilot_Guy

I ended up letting the Topflite giant P-51 go, as I cannot travel that far to get it right now and he will not ship it. He is taking it to the Lebanon, PA RC flee market/trade show this weekend if anyone here is interested.

However I have made up my mind to collect the parts and plan sets to build a Ziroli P51 at a later date after I learn building strictly from plane. I am currently getting ready to build a .40 size Ryan STA from just plans, cutting my own wood ect. I have never done this before, but it really seems to get my enthusiasm just as much as buying a new kit. I did manage to locate and buy a TopFlite P51 .60 size from a guy on FaceBook though and I am real happy about that. It is new in box and he assures me it is complete and all the balsa is good shape. The box got spray painted somehow, like someone sit something on it and painted it....but no big deal I am not a collector and box will probably trashed after I get the aircraft underway being built.

The little .60 Mustang seems to fly very well and looks scale according to youtube videos. I payed 275 for it, so pretty nice as I just saw the topflite Warhawk go for almost 700 on ebay recently.

Even though I wanted to get into Giant Scale, I am ok with building the small guy right now to learn and really make it nice before I commit to building a 1/4 scale Ziroli some day.

Thanks for the help I finally have my ideas for my next builds underway.