Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

Gary Allen 33% Bücker Jungmeister

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Gary Allen 33% Bücker Jungmeister

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 10:58 AM
rabacon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Gary Allen 33% Bücker Jungmeister

Absolutely impressive. A build would be the cats paw but if not feed me some pics to drool over as I finish the Bucker, thanks. Roger
Old 09-01-2007, 02:23 PM
Big_Bird
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The flight of the Bucker Jungmeister with the Futaba GY401 gyro this morning was an unqualified success. My transmitter settings were +70 (HH), 0 (gyro off) and -70 (rate). I used 2 of the advanced mixes with offset and channel 6 set to zero. The delay on the gyro was about 5%. The limit was set at 100%. Digital servo mode off.

Enough of the technical stuff, lets get to the fun part. Wind was calm. Initialized the gyro, started the engine and taxied out in Normal (rate). Took off in rate, sleight drift to the left, left my hand off the rudder. I did notice that when flying in rate, a little more rudder was required in coordinated turns. This was easy to get used to. Landed in rate. Did not touch rudder during roll out. Gradual turn to the right.

Taxied back out in rate. Wiggle centered rudder in HH mode. Took off and my old tendency took over and I think I bumped rudder during takeoff. There was a little deviation in heading direction but a good takeoff none the less. On two subsequent takeoffs in the Heading Hold mode I payed particular attention to not touch the rudder during takeoff. These takeoffs were absolutely arrow straight. Each time after gaining a little altitude I switched back to rate. For a little more perfect landing in rate mode a little rudder input is required but less than if the gyro is off. I did not do any takeoffs with the gyro off and hand off the rudder because I know what they are like.

One of the tests that I made was to climb at a 45 degree angle in the 3 modes. In the off mode the plane heading would start a pronounced turn to the left. In the rate mode the the left turn was far less pronounced. In the HH mode the left turn was non existent. I went through loops, Cuban 8, right side up spin (rudder and elevator only), inverted flat spin, and knife edge flight all in rate. All worked fine. I did not do these in HH mode. Since I am not a 3D flyer the HH mode will only be used for takeoff and will probably always be used there.
Old 09-04-2007, 08:22 AM
rabacon

Good to hear the Gyro was a success. More confidence on the more windy x-wind days now?
Old 09-04-2007, 08:38 AM
Kellermann

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ken,
this is another nice report, as impressive and technically complete yet easy to understand as always!
Thinking of trying a gyro on my 30% Super Decathlon...

Marcus

Old 09-04-2007, 09:04 AM
Big_Bird

Roger, a cross wind was really what I had in mind what I had in mind when I put the gyro in.

Thanks Marcus, there is a lot of information out there on gyros in helicopters but very little on airplane usage. I really never considered using a gyro in my other planes because they are well behaved on takeoff. The Jungie can be a bit touchy due to the main wheels being so far in front of the CG. Torque and the tendency to weathervane are the two culprits. Just the opposite of other planes, the landing is usually easier than the takeoff.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:24 PM
Big_Bird

Well guys, I really had the opportunity to put the gyro to the test at Bomber Field this past week. I flew the 3 planes that I took a total of 14 times. The Jungie was flown 5 times. Three of those flights were flown in a moderate cross wind. The last flight flight was flown in a fairly strong cross wind. All takeoffs were made in AVCS or heading hold mode and all were perfectly straight. I did not touch rudder on takeoff and once airborne, switched to rate mode for the rest of the flight. The only thing I had to do was to use the ailerons to lean into the wind a little on takeoff or else the plane would try to roll away from the wind.

We really had a great time. Mack Hodges, from Georgia, put on 4 outstanding flights with his 98#, 20' WS B29. It is powered by 4 ZDZ80RV engines and does incredible aerobatics.

I would estimate that there were between 200 and 300 planes there but I had no trouble getting flight time. A lot of the planes were hanger queens and a lot flew over and over. The Jungie picked up one more little piece of hardware.

Over many years I have never seen another Bucker Jungmeister at any of the flyins that I have attended. This seems strange since it is such a nice flying plane and not hard to build. I guess lots of ARFs now days and very few builders.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ol31461.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	765549   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu65701.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	765550   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty65413.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	765551   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qj20240.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	765552   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bm75042.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	140.9 KB
ID:	765553   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aq98145.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	765554   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82063.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	765555  
Old 09-18-2007, 02:48 PM
Kellermann

Hi Ken
thanks for the nice Pictures, I see a pattern building up here...and BB Weber probably already keeps stock of plaques with your name on it...congrats once again.
I imagined that one being Mac Hodges' B-29, think we all read a lot about his big bomber doing all kinds of maneuvres (even a non-scale inverted pass) which are truly impressive with a big warbird, even more with a huge bomber like his'.

Your Jungie really looks the part, and I agree, one doesn't see many Ju-133s at least at this side of the pond. In Europe it's a rather common model, specially giant size. Guess one reason is that around here people prefer doing heavy warbirds or such, instead of coping with double wings, hundreds of ribs and miles of flying wires... not to mention the ARF issue.

Congrats once again and check out "my" TF Giant P-47, a couple of pix below, more info on PM. Sorry for the offtopic, guys.

Marcus

Name:	Db84163.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	765580   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf14399.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	765581   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm22720.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	765582  
Old 10-20-2007, 03:20 PM
Jennyboy

Jay or Big Bird

Iam new to the forum.I found you guys by sheer luck surfing the net.Shure got to thank you all for the much needed info up till now.Iam all ready to start the fuse.- cutting & glueing.I've had the 1/3 Arizona BU133 short kit for 7 yrs. & just getting back to the hobby. Can you tell me if the first pics you posted on the fuse bare bones for the 1/4 or 1/3 scale Bucker? If not -does someone have pics. of the fuselage in it's early constructions stage to help me get going here?

Bob
Old 10-20-2007, 04:19 PM
Big_Bird

Hi Bob, welcome to the thread. All of the building photos posted by me are the 1/3 scale version.

I flew it today at one of our local club's Big Bird Flyins. It was very windy but it flew fine. Here it is parked next to my Giant Aeromaster.

Name:	Nl29208.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	786652  
Old 10-20-2007, 09:50 PM
Jennyboy

Big Bird

I like the yellow. The yellow is my preferance due to It's high visibility in poor weather. I will send you a pic of my beloved 1/4 yellow Pica Waco as soon as I figure out how to do just that.Do you know if "Jay's" early fuselage pics are the 1/3 or the 1/4 bucker ? I see you two conversed early in the thread .

Bob
Old 11-10-2007, 12:06 AM
mcjustis

Hi all,

Nice work guys, I'm extremely impressed. I am currently working on my first scale (ok stand off scale/fun scale) Bucker. It's the kit by Pilot. It's not the 33% you guys are doing, only 29.5%. I was given the plane in a rather worn out covering job. I did strip the old and have recovered it. I did finally order an engine today. It's a Brillelli 46. Looking forward to my first gasser as well. I just wanted to join in the fun and show a pic of what my paint job will be. Thanks for all the great ideas.
Martin

Name:	Cz79793.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	800396  
Old 11-10-2007, 11:11 AM
kevin mcgrath

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well its building season in the North so I hope all participants in this ever longer thread are well,building,and ready to answer questions and I promise to chip in too if the subject is one to which I can contribute.
Im at the stage of mounting the top wing center section and cant get my head around how the cabane struts are connected to it.I assume one drills through the outside ply rib and then the strut but is it bolted or what? The plans are not too clear regarding this detail ........help pls.
Forgive me if this was alreadycovered somewhere in the saga....its getting to be a lengthy process to look through it for details like this...........

Kevin
Old 11-10-2007, 05:52 PM
Big_Bird

Bob, as I recall Jay was building a 1/4 scale.

Kevin, I found the plans sheet pretty detailed about the way the top center section wing mounts to the cabane struts. The center section wing end rib assembly is made up of W5, W4, W3, 1/8 x 3/4 ply and some cap strips. A pocket is formed in W4 for the cabane strut and the tab which is the attachment for the landing wires. This pocket is sandwiched by W5 and W3. The 6x32 "T" nut is mounted in the 1/8 x 3/4 square piece. The head of the socket head 6x32 cap screw goes through a clearance hole in rib W5.

I made a photo a few minutes ago of the end of W5 rib. I sure hope you built this rib sandwich for both ends of the top center section. Let me know if I can try to clear it up any more.

Our flying season lasts until mid January. Building season is July and August.

Name:	Hf98608.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	800865   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs57942.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	800866  
Old 11-12-2007, 08:45 AM
kevin mcgrath

Thanks BB .........its all clear now........and yes I left the pockets in so last night I installed all the blind nuts and built the jig to hold the upper center section in place and will bend aluminum today.........gonna check the incidence out with one of those laser thingies first though.
Somewhere in this thread are references to 1/3 scale 7 cyl dummy engines........which I find are rare as hens teeth.........anyone come up with any new sources?
Old 11-12-2007, 09:49 AM
Big_Bird

Kevin, glad you are on the right track with the cabane struts.

I used the DE-502 dummy engine that Bob Dively sells. I only used the front half. I had a small box of old glow plugs that I used to simulate the spark plugs and aluminum tubing for the pushrod tubes. CA is too prone to crack with vibration so I used Goop available at most hardware stores. It appears to be the same as Zap-A-Dap-A-Goo.

http://www.bobdivelymodels.com/3.htm

Name:	Vt57266.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	802179  
Old 11-13-2007, 11:38 AM
rabacon

Hey guys

BB, thanks for posting the info on the dummy engine. Kevin, glad to see youre back at it. I am too. Cleaned up the shop and finished all of the little projects that had accumulated on the bench over the flying season. Jumped back on the Bucker now. Began fabricating the interplane and top center section brass fittings. these are all I need to do final fitting of the wings and rigging. Then its on to final sanding, covering and finishing. Welcome to the building season, eh?

Old 11-13-2007, 01:00 PM
Big_Bird

Guys, I fly giant scale and electric foamies with nothing else in between. I know this is off topic but here is my latest 3D EPP Challenger after I added 14 Super Bright LEDs. This is my second night flyer. Night flying is a BIG HOOT.

Name:	Ay74920.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	803178   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg16110.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	803179  
Old 11-13-2007, 01:01 PM
rabacon

Ken, I think I would have a siezure if I tried to fly that in the dark
Old 11-13-2007, 01:12 PM
Big_Bird

ORIGINAL: rabacon

Ken, I think I would have a siezure if I tried to fly that in the dark
You may find this hard to believe but the darker the better. These are not your common LEDs from Radio Shack. They will actually light up the runway. With green on the right and red on the left you would really have to work at it to get confused. All the guys I night fly with feel the same way. All of the LEDS add less than an ounce to the plane and only pull 120 ma total.
The following users liked this post:
Camel65 (12-29-2023)
Old 11-14-2007, 09:40 AM
rc74
My Feedback: (6)

I just picked up a 1/4 scale Jungmister (Gary Allen ) and I am looking for the CG location, my drawings don't show it,
Can anyone help, Thanks Ron
Old 11-14-2007, 10:55 AM
Big_Bird

I am really surprised that your drawing doesn't show it. Here is where the balance point is on my 1/3 scale. It will be the same for yours.

Name:	Da83328.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	803723  
Old 11-14-2007, 12:19 PM
gjmjoe017

Hey Big Bird,what did you cover your Jungmeister with?Just curious.Love the little bipe with the lights.We do some of the same thing with combat zagis up here in St.Lou at night and it's a blast.Love your Jungmeister just curious about the covering.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:39 PM
Big_Bird

I agree, night flying adds a whole new dimension to RC.

I used the yellow Solartex that Balsa USA sells. I then applied a clear coat using Rustoleum. I also covered my 1/3 scale Super Decathlon with Solartex. It is very hard to beat.
Old 11-18-2007, 10:56 AM
kevin mcgrath

Thanks once again to BB the 1/8 x 1/2 cabane struts are in place and the incidence top wing to bottom is -1o,and O with the stab checking with my trusty great planes laser angle checker.
With the wing centre sections in place,and the radio installation in the fuse done,and also the engine installation Im going to do the last of the structural building next and finish the four wing panels.
Looking around my shop this am reminds me I am a bipe nut............got four of them currently........A Great Planes 1/3 Christen Eagle that I have never been really happy with and which needs some rebuilding,a half done 80" Lazy Ace,an RC Guys 1/3 Pitts ARF I have been flying lately and with which I am very pleased so far,and the Jungmeister.Also have a half done Ziroli D18 from an Aeroplane Factory kit so Im going to be busy this winter.........No snow here yet but its well below freezing here this am..........but Im going to the field right now to help a bud with some trim flights on his computer controlled drone.......doing the flying myself is more fun though.........
Old 12-01-2007, 09:35 AM
kevin mcgrath

Just a quick check on how to handle the wing tips now that I have the first of the panels on the building board.
The front and rear spars must taper to rib no 9 but is the taper all on the top or is there any on the bottom?.The rest of the wing construction looks clear enough at least for now!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.