Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

Gary Allen 33% Bücker Jungmeister

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Gary Allen 33% Bücker Jungmeister

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 08:32 PM
CharlieK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Gary Allen 33% Bücker Jungmeister

Hi Ken,
Finally made it back to the Jungmeister. Have the lower center section mounted on the fuselage, and finished the upper center section tonight. I have a question - when you moved the wing pins from the center to the wings how did you reinforce the pin mounting? With the plywood strip running down the rib on the outer panel it will not have much to grab to. I am thinking about just adding a 1/4 balsa rib against the first rib so the pins have some support. Also I am considering using 1/2 in. streamlined tubing over the cabane struts - might beat the heck out of building them up from balsa and should weigh less. Something else, did you make the center section flying wires functional - they are not shown on the plans - I am doing so and starting to work on how to mount them.
Have Fun
Charliek
Old 04-01-2008, 10:48 AM
Big_Bird
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: CharlieK

Hi Ken,
Finally made it back to the Jungmeister. Have the lower center section mounted on the fuselage, and finished the upper center section tonight. I have a question - when you moved the wing pins from the center to the wings how did you reinforce the pin mounting? With the plywood strip running down the rib on the outer panel it will not have much to grab to. I am thinking about just adding a 1/4 balsa rib against the first rib so the pins have some support. Also I am considering using 1/2 in. streamlined tubing over the cabane struts - might beat the heck out of building them up from balsa and should weigh less. Something else, did you make the center section flying wires functional - they are not shown on the plans - I am doing so and starting to work on how to mount them.
Have Fun
Charliek
Hi CharlieK. I don't remember how I reinforced the dowel pin hole but it should be real easy with a small piece of 1/8" plywood. I used the K&S streamlined aluminum for the inter plane struts. The center section flying wires are not functional. The wire that goes into the fuselage just floats. Here is a photo.

This doesn't have a lot of relevance here but I would like to show you how I made the struts for my Waco YMF-5. These use Glenn Torrence Models #2001 strut material. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_39...22/key_/tm.htm
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78669.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	919308  
Old 04-04-2008, 10:08 AM
rabacon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

CharileK, I ended up making my center section support wires functional because at the time the aluminum struts seemed weak side-to-side. Ken's appears plenty strong as it is a proven flier so I probably didnt need to do so. Here is a link that shows mine at that stage if you are still looking to do so. Good luck on your build. I am still waiting for the weather to warm so I can paint mine. 40degree and rain is what we got here [:'(]

http://www.chainolakeseagles.com/mod...viewtopic&t=65
Old 04-04-2008, 01:53 PM
CharlieK

Hi,
Thanks for the info, that should work very well to stiffen it up. I am going to finish the wings and rig the center section with them installed (somehow). I know from previous experience that if the top wing is not perfectly square with the bottom at the tips the stall characteristics are interesting to say the least. On my Pica airplane we ran a rigging check before every flight to eliminate the problem. Should be fun rigging the airplane with the wings installed but I hope it will come out better. I also have another question - I am planning on installing an FPE 4.2 and am trying to figure out if I can remove the velocity stack without changing the engine run characteristics. If it looses a little power on the top end it will be ok, but I am concerned about it quitting in the air (prairie dog holes and sagebrush are not good places to land ? Actually I am thinking of taking it to colorado for the first flights to eliminate the problem. You are much warmer than us, we are still getting down to 5-15 at night, and you probably heard about springtime in the rockies in the news. I80 and I70 were both closed for at least a day at the same time. Trucks parked all over the place, what a mess. What are you going to paint yours with? I haven't decided on a color scheme for sure yet, but doubt it will be yellow. At the rate I am progressing won't have to worry about it for a year or so anyway.
Charliek
Old 04-04-2008, 02:14 PM
rabacon

When you cut your ribs the ply root ribs are cut in pairs and drilled for locating pins in pairs. Keep these pairs together during the process and there is no need to rig the center section with the wings attached. If the incidence and alignment of the upper and lower center sections are properly set the wings will follow automaticly. Besides, where the wings attach to the center sections there is no strength at all without all of the wires and struts, basicly one big house of cards, and I cannot imagine trying to fit the center section with the panels flopping around unsupported. This sucker gets big fast when those panels get bolted on. Gary Allens mag article construction steps work well. Your call. I am painting with Krylon as I dont need a custom color. Will shoot a clear satin topcoat when all is done. Here is my scheme, pretty simple and clean.

http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww15/o/141/2/0/5

Not an engine guru, I have stacks on some, none on others. All run fine. They do keep the fuel from blowing down the side of the fuse though.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:16 PM
CharlieK

I looked at the Waco web site Ken, beautiful looking airplane. I would be leery of using aluminum for the strut pins if you are going to fly aerobatics, it is very weak in shear loading and would really load up the rest of the structure to take up the slack. That why we use all those rivets on full scale. I got an answer back from FPE, the engine should run fine with no stack. I may still use Gary's method of putting the wings on, it will be a make it up as I go thing. I am still thinking about jigging the whole thing up and doing it all together. I have enough weights ( bricks) to keep it all aligned I think. It worked for the Extra I built but it only had two wings to deal with. I am planning on using dope on mine, kind of hung up on airplane stuff for airplanes. My wife will make me paint it outside though, can you imagine how high you could get painting this thing in the house . Would also kill your liver if I've still got one after working on airplanes for 55 years.
Charlie k
Old 04-05-2008, 07:59 PM
Big_Bird

Dope is good. Just don't inhale.

I wanted to let you guys know what a great time I had today flying the Jungie. I have never gotten board with it. What a wonderful design.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:32 PM
Jennyboy

Hi Ken. Could you tell me where you got those 'Y' fuel fittings in your Jungie.I've looked everywhere and can only find the 'T ' fittings.Dobro makes something that looks like them but one of the ports is a plug.Jennyboy
Old 04-06-2008, 09:48 PM
Big_Bird

ORIGINAL: Jennyboy

Hi Ken. Could you tell me where you got those 'Y' fuel fittings in your Jungie.I've looked everywhere and can only find the 'T ' fittings.Dobro makes something that looks like them but one of the ports is a plug.Jennyboy
I really don't remember. Probably an auto supply.
Old 04-10-2008, 01:34 PM
CharlieK

hi guys,
someone had asked about the man plans being available. I just found a site called aerofred.com on google which has the plans listed as available for free. might be a good place to check out.
charlie
Old 04-10-2008, 01:48 PM
Big_Bird

Cute Jungie.
Old 04-19-2008, 03:14 PM
skylarkmk1

Guys,

For those of you who don't get or haven't seen it, the British magazine "Flying Scale Models" in the March 08 issue (volume 10, No. 100) has 3 articles on the Bucker Bu 133 Jungmeister. Article 1 is a general history, Article 2 is 2 pages of three views with cross sections and Article 3 is a series of closeup pictures covering details of the plane. Web site is www.flyingscalemodels.com
Old 04-19-2008, 03:18 PM
Big_Bird

Thanks John.
Old 04-28-2008, 04:40 PM
Twin Bridge RC

Hi All,
I just bought a Bucker Bu-133 Jungmeister from a guy that gave up on it.
It's the big bird that you guys are talking about here with the 86" WS.
It's a little over 1/2 done but will need a lot of TLC.
The problem is he cut up the plans to make the parts.
There is more of the plans missing then there is here.
I tried calling the RCSTORE.Com where he had bought the plans from & they don't have them any more.
The people answering the phones are new & I don't believe they know much about planes.
They have the FSP0300C with the 43" WS & the FSP0300B with the 65" WS but not the one I need Which is the FSP0300A with the 86" WS.
Any one out there know where I can get a set of plans?
Thanks, Mark
[email protected]
Old 04-29-2008, 08:29 AM
rabacon

pm me and I will try to set you up.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:56 AM
Big_Bird

Mark, hopefully rabacon (Roger) can help you out.

Recently I received a PM from a person in Spain requesting the same thing. I passed this on to Gary Allen. He contacted Gerry Yarrish <[email protected]> with Model Airplane News. It seems that there were some changes in the MAN store and that they misplaced the 1/3 scale Bucker Jungmeister plans. The suggestion was to have the Spanish individual contact Gerry Yarrish directly (e-mail) and request that they make an effort to find the plans. That is my suggestion also Mark and let us know what you find out. I may want to order a spare set.

http://www.arizonamodels.com/ sells the redrawn set of plans. From what I have heard they are lacking in some of the details that were on Gary's original set but may work fine for what you need. We can always supply the details.

Good luck Mark with the Jungie project. I'm crazy about mine.
Old 04-29-2008, 11:24 AM
rabacon

It snowed, sleeted, and rained again yesterday here.........I just want a week or two of dry warmish weather so I can paint my Jungie and get it finished. Is that too much to ask???? I need someone to do a sunshine dance to improve this miserable midwest weather. Spring in the heartland, what ya gonna do?
Old 04-29-2008, 12:01 PM
Big_Bird

That doesn't sound like global warming to me.
Old 04-29-2008, 01:26 PM
rabacon

I will be on the lookout for wooly mamoths and mastadons while turkey hunting next week!
Old 04-29-2008, 10:55 PM
Twin Bridge RC

Hi Big Bird.
I found a site selling the plans.
The thing is it don't say who's design it is.

http://www.arizonamodels.com/product...roducts_id/120
what do you think?
Mark
Old 04-30-2008, 09:12 AM
Big_Bird

Mark, did you read my post #591 above? These are the redrawn Gary Allen plans.
Old 04-30-2008, 09:56 AM
Twin Bridge RC

Oh,
So this is the place that makes copys.
How is it there isn't any of the originals out there some where?
If I could get the plans in CAD I could make my own drawings.
I own a sign Co. & have the equipment to draw designs on 24" paper or cut moast any design in vinyl.
Mark
Old 04-30-2008, 11:23 AM
Big_Bird

http://www.arizonamodels.com/ is more known for producing high quality scale RC kits than copies of plans. I bought a short kit from them that I used to build my second 1/3 scale Jungmeister. It was a high quality laser cut kit. I don't know why they chose to redraw the plans rather than sell copies of the original plans. Several people have commented that they are lacking in detail that the original had. I have built 2 Jungies from my set of original plans and as you can imagine, they are getting pretty ragged.

I don't know how much you have left to do but for $30 the Arizona plans should do fine.

Again, you might e-mail Gerry Yarrish <[email protected]> with Model Airplane News and see if he can locate the 1/3 scale plans. It's worth a try and won't take much effort on your part.

Old 05-10-2008, 07:48 PM
Jeff Foley
My Feedback: (45)

As a radial engine biplane lover (I own a full scale Stearman)......I find this photo extremely disturbing!! What a waste of good Jungmeister. I am enjoying seeing the models on this thread though.

Jeff
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71292.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	946924  
Old 05-10-2008, 07:56 PM
Big_Bird

Jeff, that is major ugly. I assume it is turbine powered. Thanks for dropping in.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.