Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

Gary Allen 33% Bücker Jungmeister

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Gary Allen 33% Bücker Jungmeister

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 02:01 PM
CharlieK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Gary Allen 33% Bücker Jungmeister

Hi Guys,
That looks like the airplane that Sam Burgess built with an Allison 250 turbine in it. He had a Jungmeister and also built a replica airplane a few years ago. If I remember correctly he converted the homebuilt one to the Allison to set a time to climb record for this weight category FAI. It definetely set a climb record although I don't remember what the time was, but only had something like 8 minutes worth of gas so after the record he deadsticked it back to the airport. Never heard anything about it after that. The EAA would have all the information probably if anyone is interested. We are making good progress on the airplane, have the wing structure almost done. If the weather stays the same we should be rigging wings sometime this fall.
Charliek
Old 05-15-2008, 03:03 PM
Big_Bird
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Good to hear from you CharlieK. I'm looking forward to the time when one of you guys has a maiden flight on a Jungmeister.

I'll be taking mine to the Ft. Worth Thunderbirds Warbird Flyin this Saturday. They always have a great turn out. Here is a photo that I shot in '06 at the flyin of a friends Yellow Aircraft P-47.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61874.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	949964  
Old 06-17-2008, 10:08 AM
rabacon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maiden day is getting closer. I am about 90% done with paint. Its been a rough spring/early summer here in the midwest. Just need to finish the graphics and other paint details and I can reinstall all of the systems and check CG. My taxi tests always turn into maidens!!! How goes it with the rest of the Bucker builders?? Roger
Old 06-17-2008, 11:02 AM
Big_Bird

Roger, I can't wait to hear the good news. I had a great time flying mine a few weeks back at the Ft. Worth Thunderbirds warbird flyin.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:35 AM
rabacon

I will be updating my website soon as well with my "how not to paint tips". Imagine an insane model builder defending a freshly painted wing panel from swarming gnats under the garage's flourescent lights at dusk. wont do that again!! You would think that I would have known better than to try that but the urge to get one panel done that day got the best of me and resulted in a little post-paint sanding off of the bug corpses. [:@] Anywho, I got it fixed and the wings and such are loooookin good, Mr. Kotter!
Old 06-17-2008, 11:35 AM
Homepylon

Hi Roger: I had an opportunity to re-build/re-cover my Jungie last year. A combination of an overly rich carb setting and too much smoke oil caused the engine to quit. Trying to stretch the glide to get to the runway resulted in a stall/spin.

The good news is that it's back flying with a new paint scheme that I like better than Yadven's.

I normally don't rebuild after a heavy crash, but the Jungie is just too good to give up on.

Hope all goes well with your maiden flight

Name:	Ig13378.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	972403   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt61131.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	972404  
Old 06-17-2008, 11:45 AM
rabacon

sorry to hear about the crash. that was one fine looking model. the redoux looks fantastic as well. It was probably that dummy radial with the resin collector that did you in so why dont you just send me that part to use on mine . Just looking out for ya.
Old 06-17-2008, 12:11 PM
Big_Bird

Roger I know what you mean about the bugs. Don't you just love it when one larger than a gnat lites in fresh paint and drags his tail a couple of inches before he expires?

Homepylon, your Jungie looks great. Do you have a close up photo of your tail wheel wire? I have been increasing the wire size until I'm up to 5/32" and I still bend the wire occasionally even with what I call a decent landing. Have you had a problem with this. I wish I had a spring loaded assembly. I think the problem is caused by a lot of weight being on the tail wheel because of the location of the main wheels. Any suggestions?
Old 06-18-2008, 02:47 PM
bigdaddy
My Feedback: (2)

Hello, Just seeking a little advice. Been lookin here for over a year. The pictures of your airplanes makes me drool. The wife said to either build one or she was gonna put a bib on me. I hate bibs. Have an idle G 62 and am starting to collect supplies to build this aircraft 1/3 scale. Have the 1/3 plans from Arizona Models ( a disappointment )
and 1/3 plans from MAN ( alot better). My R/C club built a scale static display Wright Flyer for a local museum ( Kansas Cosmosphere and Space Center) that was a Arizona Models Kit.
Based upon this experience ( and the plans they supplied ), I would be reluctant to go with their short kit. How accurate is the laser cutting of this Arizona Models kit and what was your impression of the wood parts supplied? Would you use it again?
What about wheels? 6" Sullivan, 6" inflatable Dubro, or the solid 6" Dubros. What are you using and how is it? Have read all 608 posts here and studied both sets of plans over the last week and using the photos and text here I am ready to take the plunge. Have spruce form Aircraft Spruce and Supply, 6061 T6 from onlinemetals.com.. Can get fiberglass parts from Precision Fiberglass products if decide not to get the Arizona kit. Noted are the comments about antirotation pins on outboard ribs, 5/32 tail gear wire, solder clevis on rigging wires( 0.093), target weight of 25 -28 lbs., 2degrees right and zero down on the engine. Have full scale experience with Stits, will cover with Stits light. Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Jerry Hutchinson, Kansas
Old 06-18-2008, 03:12 PM
Big_Bird

Hi Jerry, let me answer a few questions and then I have one.

I thought the quality of the laser cutting, the fit, and the quality of wood was just fine from Arizona Model Aircrafters. I wanted the 6" Dubro inflatable wheels and returned the 6" Dubro solids at Arizona's request. I then found out from Arizona that the 6" inflatables were no longer available so they returned the solids. I have liked the solids just fine.

I have read about the disappointment that people have experienced with the redrawn plans that Arizona sells. I guess that they thought that they would make more money with the redrawn plans than the ones that were drawn by Gary Allen and sold by MAN. Did you get the MAN plans recently? Recently I was told that MAN misplaced or lost the master for the 1/3 scale plans.

It is obvious that you have really done your homework with this thread. The G-62 will be fine. Be sure to build the wing transportation "H" bracket. It will save you a lot of time at the field.

Go for it. You will never be sorry.
Old 06-18-2008, 03:28 PM
rabacon

Hey Jerry, like Ken said,welcome to the madness and sounds like youre in a good postion to start this thing. I built off of Gary's plan(M.A.N.) and have no experience with the AZM set. The parts count is very low and basic so I cut my own. If you didnt like the experience with AZM's kitting then perhaps check out the other kit cutters. Its pretty straight forward if youve built from plans before. From whats been asked and posted on this thread there aint much left to the imagination. I tried the inflatable DuBros and couldnt keep air in them and have since refit with the solid DuBros. When you get to building the fenders note that the fenders on the plan are designed around the inflatables. They work with the solids but the location on the axle is critical to avoid binding on the fender and frame. Have at it and keep us up to date. The world needs more round engine biplanes.
Old 06-18-2008, 04:18 PM
Kellermann

Hey Homepylon, now that's a beautiful paint scheme...!!! Congrats on that one. I love the Swiss Army scheme and Ken has done a great job on his bipe but this one is a welcome change from that yellow scheme, also from the all silver I used on my Pica 1/5 many years ago.
Guess the pix are somewhere at the beginning of this thread...

Jerry, go for it, you'll love it.

I'm not building another Jungie but I landed on this thread because both Ken and I were buddies at the Wendell Hostettler 33% Scale Super Decathlon thread.

Congrats folks on all those beautiful bipes you're building and flying.

Marcus
Old 06-18-2008, 04:38 PM
Homepylon

Thanks, guys. I'm sure glad she's back in the air.

Ken: I started with a 5/32 tailwheel strut and have not had problems with bending. I used a nose wheel mount, bolted to a plywood former. What I have had problems with is the linkage. I use a separate servo for the tailwheel and originally used nyrod and 1/16 music wire for the linkage. Way too light, always bending. During the re-build I installed a pull/pull cable setup using Proctor flying wire cable. Worked OK for about 6 flights and then the cable failed at the tiller arm. I'm now using Kevlar cable. We'll see how this holds up. The tailwheel really takes a beating, and gets stressed pretty good during landing.

Jerry: Welcome to the thread. I used the AZM short kit for my Jungie and would not do so again. The wood and cutting was mediocre, plans are basically worthless, and they sent the wrong size tires. The cowl and fenders were OK, but for the re-build I used a cowl from Precision Fiberglass that I found to be more accurate in outline.

Speaking of wheels and tires, I've installed a set of Dubro 1/3 scale Cub wheels and I can really tell a difference in ground handling. Much easier to keep her off the wingtips during landing rollout, plus they look a heck of a lot better than the Sullivan Sky-Lites I had on the model. I did have to make new fender mounts that are bowed slightly to clear the fat Cub tires.

Hope all you guys continue to enjoy the Jungmeister.

Brad
Old 06-19-2008, 07:56 PM
CharlieK

Hi Guys,
With the caveat that I have worked on airplanes since I was 11 and my initials are CS K, which leads to a thing about airplanes being correct and quality control here is my two cents on the Arizona kits. As stated before the plans are worthless, on my kit the fuselage formers did not fit at all. Several other parts either did not fit correctly or were made from the wrong material. All except the fuselage side doubler plates were remade. I don't know about the tires but the cowling on Gary's plans and Arizonas is the wrong shape and their cockpit kit has nothing to do with a Jungmeister instrument panel. If MAN cannot come up with plans for the people who need them I can copy mine and ship them at cost as long as we are not breking any copy write laws. If I get a second airplane built I will cut my own parts to improve the scale quality of the airplane and cut down the weight. I still hope to be rigging wings this fall, but right now am going to the airport every day so we are not getting much done.
Have fun and keep flying,
Charliek
Old 06-19-2008, 11:37 PM
bigdaddy
My Feedback: (2)

Hi , and thanks for the feedback. Have decided to cut my own parts. Have woodworking shop already so it should not be to hard. Will pattern router the ribs. I decided I would loose interest more easily if I had to "fix" purchased parts to make them fit. Will order balsa from Balsa USA.
Ken, I got the Arizona plans 11/06 and once I spent 2 minutes eyeing them I asked Santa for the MAN plans, so I have had these plans since 12/06. Thus far they are unscathed.
Do you suppose MAN would or could make a new master from them?
Brad, I never considered the 1/3 Cub wheels but seems the thing to do. They work fine for a local flier here. Problems with tail gear noted as well as using gyro on the rudder.
Am giving some thought to using a C.B./Tatone leafspring tailwheel assembly and not making the empennage removable to eliminate the need for a removable hatch at the tail end, where a tailwheel assembly would mount. Will start collecting stuff. Thanks again. Jerry
Old 07-10-2008, 10:05 AM
rabacon

Well the bloody painting is done, finally. Where has all of my spare time gone lately? I dunno. Will meet with my mask-maker-graphics buddy in a couple of weeks(vacation time as of monday so no modeling until I get back). Made a little progress on this project as far as painting skills go so I am happy but still not satisfied. Temporarily assembled the jungie in its colors and its really comming together now. Look to maiden in August/Sept. Hope all is well with you guys. Roger
Old 07-10-2008, 10:23 AM
Big_Bird

Hi Roger,

Glad you are still making progress. Don't forget, Bomber field will be September 19, 20, and 21. I'll expect to see you and the Jungie there.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:26 AM
rabacon

Ken, if I can fit her in the overhead compartment I will be there.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:37 AM
Big_Bird

Sounds good to me.
Old 07-11-2008, 08:09 PM
erik58
My Feedback: (4)

Does any body have plans for the pica bucker jungmeister that I can borrow,buy,copy. I got a kit and there missing[:@] any help would be greatly appreciated thank you. Erik
Old 07-11-2008, 09:23 PM
Big_Bird

This company bought Pica. You might drop them an e-mail.

http://www.coxmodels.com/#
Old 07-15-2008, 10:21 AM
kevin mcgrath

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just to let you all know I didnt die and the Jungmeister is still underway just slowly due to three family weddings this summer,and two Nats events I will be attending.
Ken..........are you the same Ken that did the cooling ducting article on the RCS web site?
Old 07-15-2008, 11:04 AM
Big_Bird

Kevin, sounds like you have been very busy. Yes, I wrote that article for RCS and still fly that plane.
Old 08-12-2008, 01:48 PM
Big_Bird

I have been out flying the Jungie again and, yes, I have been having tail wheel trouble again. That is the only part of the plane that has a chronic ailment. It seems that on ever other flight it bends or breaks. This is due to the fact that there is so much weight on the tail wheel due to the main gear being so far forward and to the fact that there is no spring in the tail wheel.

I've tried several sizes of wire and bend configurations to no avail. A good friend built me a carbon fiber assembly which I have put on the plane. I finally said to heck with the scale appeal, I want something that will last. So here is what I have.

I have picked the tail up about 8 to 10 inches and dropped it several times and it just bounced instead of going thud. Big improvement.

Name:	Qo39093.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	1009926   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc92191.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	1009927  
Old 08-12-2008, 01:59 PM
rabacon

I dunno Ken, with that fancy tailwheel on it, next thing you know you will put a DA 100 in it and will be flying 3-D. Its a slippery slope ya know

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.