Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 26 of 38 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Gary Allen 33% Bücker Jungmeister

Or he will even put a turbine in it and make it a narrow nose bird...
    all kiddin aside, Ken, that looks awful. OK for practical operation, but the scale look is gone. In my judgement it's the same as putting a 3-Blade prop on a P-51...

Isn't there anyone out there able to make a steel wire or even machined, springloaded scale tailwheel for this bird?

Ken, sorry, you know, nothing personal...you know me by now.

Marcus
    A good landing is one you could walk away from. A spectacular landing is when the airplane is reusable...!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That looks like it should last for a while Ken. Maybe I should make mine from 1/4 wire when I get that far.
    Charliek

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Kellermann

Or he will even put a turbine in it and make it a narrow nose bird...
    all kiddin aside, Ken, that looks awful. OK for practical operation, but the scale look is gone. In my judgement it's the same as putting a 3-Blade prop on a P-51...

Isn't there anyone out there able to make a steel wire or even machined, springloaded scale tailwheel for this bird?

Ken, sorry, you know, nothing personal...you know me by now.

Marcus
    I love it Marcus. I'll try to keep it in a knife edge so no one will see the tail wheel. By the way, I taped the pull/pull cables in place in case someone does make a sprung tail wheel. The SD kit came in today.

CharlieK 1/4" would probably work. That's all of the mods I'm going to make for now.
    Ken
    WACO Brotherhood #70, Arlington TX home of the Dallas Cowboys, SupBowl45, Texas Rangers, World Series 2010, 2011

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ken, your post got me thinking about my tw. During my build I went straight to the 5/32 wire for my tw. It is mountend per plans with the nylon nosewheel bracket as well. I brazed a tiller bar to a collar that retains the tw wire and there are springs on the tillerbar ends that attach to a hard point on the tailpost. sort of a spring damper as my tw is free castoring with built in stops per se.
    There is a space in the nylon bracket where I may be able to add a small spring which, with some stops added, would give a shock absorbing effect. As built in the access panel on the bottom of the tail, I think I may do this while I wait for my graphics. If I get some time I will post a pic of this, before and after, if I do the mod, which based on what your experiencing I just may well do.
    \"slow is smooth and smooth is fast\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It may work Roger, I don't know.

Take a look at my new build thread.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_78...tm.htm#7846239
    Ken
    WACO Brotherhood #70, Arlington TX home of the Dallas Cowboys, SupBowl45, Texas Rangers, World Series 2010, 2011

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

42% anything is way cool. I'll be watching that one.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Ken,
    The Decathalon is only about 2 ft. short of a Pitts - you ought to put a seat in it and fly it yourself . How did your Waco turn out, it should have flown well. It would be interesting to compare the Decathalon to the full size for flying characteristics, the Sig cub I built flew exactly like a full size J-3. Looks like fun to build, if I ever get the Jungie done.
    Charliek

Awsome looking planes guys.

Can someone tell me the inside cowl width on the GA 33% Jungmeister? I have a nice running 3W 78B2 looking for a home, needs a good 12" inside clearence.

Anyone have experience with the Wendell Hostetler 26.5% Bucker Jungmeister plans? Wondering how they compare to Gary Allens version.

Kevin

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi CharlieK

The Waco turned out very good. I plan to put the maiden flight on it this coming Saturday morning.

As for the Decathlon, my 1/3 scale Super Decathlon flies in a very scale manner. It has more horse power for it's size than the full scale 180 hp model. There is no reason not to think that the 42% will not fly exactly like the real thing.
    Ken

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Kevin, I will measure mine tonight unless someone here gets the info for you today, but I think youre going to come up short. Havent seen the WH Bucker plans.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The cowl I have is 11 in. at the back end. It is probably 10 - 10 1/2 at the forward end but you may be able to fit it in the blisters. The Decathalon is a good flying airplane Ken. The real one is not very strong so you have to limit the g's you pull but it sure is fun when two Cessna's make a pass at you and you can peel off and chase them
    Charliek

Thanks for measuring CharlieK. Sounds close for my 78, I was a little conservative with my 12". I measure 11" across my plug caps. What concerns me is the right thrust kicking the forward plug cap way out on the left. Probably not the best airframe for this engine. Sure wish there was a nice 1/3 scale kit of this plane on the market, not sure if I'm up to the scratch build. Sure is a nice looking bipe. My 13 year old son drools over meisters ever since seeing the white one in the Great Waldo Pepper movie. Wonder what ever became of that plane?

Edit) I guess the Bucker plane was yellow & red in the Waldo Pepper movie. Also had a none radial engine.

Kevin

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The steerable tail wheel design from the Pica P51 seems to work very well in the Bucker.It withstands a good pounding and does not strain from excessive castering....Bob

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

OK, thanks.
    Ken

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Guys, the maiden flight of my Waco YMF-5 was an unqualified success and so was the second and third. The only trim required was a little down elevator. I need to tighten up the tail wheel pull-pull linkage a little. The only thing that surprised me was the slow roll rate. I would guess that it was exactly scale. Takeoffs and landings were very easy. Loops and Cuban eights were very easy. Inverted flight required very little down to maintain altitude. I had a little trouble maintaining altitude in knife edge flight. I use rudder all the time for co-ordinated turns and that made them look perfect. In fact I just about use rudder more than ailerons. Several people remarked how realistic it looked in the air.

A friend took some air shots and I'll post them when I get them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Om31857.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	110.7 KB 
ID:	1017474  
    Ken

Congratulations on the maiden flight. Wish I had the patients to turn out beautiful models like yours.

Kevin

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks a lot Kevin.

Here is the video of the first flight. It's pretty shaky but I would rather have it that way than not at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxRnGXP7610
    Ken

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thats a really good looking airplane Ken, glad the first flight came out well and it flies well.
    Charlie

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks Charlie, I'm real happy with it. I won't be flying it again until I take it to Bomber Field in 3 weeks.
    Ken

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Ken,
    Been silent for a long time. Have been assembling the bones for my Jungie. I find I need some information since I don't want to re-invent the wheel.
    I noticed on one of your entries that you have photos of your servo, linkage set-up, etc. I am particularly interested in the elevator. Did you use dual servos w/ pull-pull setup or what. I would appreciate any pic's you might have. Those on the thread are not as detailed as I seem to need. If you wouldn't mind responding by e-mail I would appreciate it, as I'm sure I'll have additional questions. kgcarp@xpressweb.com. As always thanks for your assistance. Kirt C.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ok things are looking up for finishing my Bucker this fall. Spent some time over the past week with a flying buddy who has been helping me with my graphics and masks. Picked up the proofs last night and they look great when put up to the model. Some masks, some vinyl, some dry transfer. The only decision I need to make is whether to use vinyl or paint masks on the big graphics. The vinyl I have access to is .3 mm and I wonder how well it will lay over rib tapes and stiches. I have my concerns going this route. Anyone have any insight? Vinyl gets it done sooner than masking and painting and as I am in year 3 on this project I really would like to wrap it up. Been busy with work and family as of late. Hope you all are well. Roger

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Rabacon:
    I used paint masks on my Jungie for most of the graphics and am happy with the results. It takes a bit longer but you get an exact color match and no problem going over surface detail.

Good luck with yours.

Brad
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mk25691.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	65.2 KB 
ID:	1035141   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zv67044.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	91.5 KB 
ID:	1035142   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Uz68224.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	108.8 KB 
ID:	1035143  
    All Scale, All the Time

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

What paint mask material do you use? My pal has a nice cutter/plotter that cuts the masks off rolls of material but we are both wondering what the best material would be for model use. He currently has a semi stiff white paper-backed mask. I have used some flexible airbrush masking material for free-hand work but it has no backing and wont work on his cutter. the finish on your bucker is outstanding from the pics. Thanks, Roger.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Roger:
    Gary at getstencils.com did all my masks. They were superb. Unfortunately I don't think he's doing paint masks anymore. Shame, as he did nice work at affordable prices.

The mask material you describe sounds like the same stuff I used. Be sure it has a low tack adhesive that does not leave a residue. My biggest gripe with frisket paper is the residue left behind.

The trick to getting a good result is to seal the mask's edges with the base coat color and apply really light coats. I used my airbrush and just misted on coats.
    All Scale, All the Time

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks Brad. No Gary is no longer doing the stencils. Was working with my friend at our club meeting last night, using the proofs he provided I made all my adjustments and he is going to cut my stencils this weekend. I have to get my airbrush out and do some practice and compatibility checks and then I am going to shoot the stencils. Its good to get motivated again and finish this project. Thanks for your insight Brother. Roger

Page 26 of 38 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast