Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

Gary Allen 33% Bücker Jungmeister

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Gary Allen 33% Bücker Jungmeister

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 04:36 PM
Big_Bird
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Gary Allen 33% Bücker Jungmeister

Interesting videos Gary. It sure flies nice.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:33 PM
fredo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys
The time has come and I have to maiden this beast. She is ready to go. Dry weight worked out 14.5 kg with Moki 150. Wing span is 2.3m. If the weather's OK, this Saturday may be the day.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36185.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	1687173   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24915.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	1687174   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw59483.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	1687175   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uo35540.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	1687176  
Old 11-15-2011, 07:25 PM
Big_Bird

Best wishes for a great maiden flight.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:58 PM
fredo

Thanks Ken, fingers crossed.
At the end decided not to put the cowl on ,as that would add more nose weight plus it wouldn't look right with this particular color scheme. My CG is ballancing about 10 mm forward from the recomended position which is the top winglet's rear spar. I thought, a bit of nose heavy won't hurt.
My Bucker looks rather plain at the moment because the priority No1 for me is flying. If everything turns out well, I will add more detail later on.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:45 PM
fredo

Flight report!!
Hi folks unfortunately no pics or videos from the maiden. It all happened so fast I forgot my camera at home. My heavy model inspector couldn't do it Saturday but suggested today. Yes she has flown beautifully. I didn't have to make a lot of adjustments
she almost flew hands free right from the take off. I'm so overwhelmed right now. This combo is definitely a go! I was flying not even half throttle for a very scale speed. It was pure magic.
However, I will have to do some modifications. I have noticed that the cross bracess between wing struts nearly come off. I only had clevices latched on without any keepers. so I will remove the pins and put a small bolt through all of them. Also the cross braces between cabane vibrate a lot when the engine is running. I have to think of something how to stop that. Landing was really greasy. I must say it's such a pleasure to fly this thing.
Now, I have to do my fixes and sometimes during next week I will have to do another cetification flight test. Hopefully I can take some pics and possibly a video. I can't wait to explore it's flight characteristics
with a bit of aerobatics.
Old 11-18-2011, 04:25 AM
stefan b

hi folks,
my name is stev and i wanted to itroduce myselve here on this great forum.
i´ve read the komplete block and ordered a set of planes. they arrived today and i am verry hapy with them. i plan to fit a os sirius300 in an it will fit in!!
i hope very mutch it will have enogh power for the plane.
so my first question is, i have read that there is a materiallist existing (i have no shortkit) but i couldnt open te link. would it be possibel to enter the link again?

manny regards, steve
Old 11-18-2011, 04:27 AM
stefan b

sorry i forgot,
fredo: congratulations to the maiden flight . i hopefully can post the report of mine in the future.
steve
Old 11-18-2011, 07:29 AM
Big_Bird

Fredo, I have experienced all of the emotions with both of my Jungies that you have just been through. It takes several days to settle back down. Congratulations on a great maiden flight. For the first few flights you will find several things to fix or modify. The big thing is that it flies like you were hoping for. WONDERFUL!!! The cross braces between the cabane struts are dummied in on mine. They go through a little hole in the fuselage and float.

Hi Steve and welcome to the thread. Since you have read it all you will benefit by our experience. We are looking forward to your postings as you progress in your build. I am not aware of a materials list.

Name:	Bz78036.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	1688141  
Old 11-18-2011, 10:04 AM
stefan b

hi ken, thanks for the welcome,
the bad thing is that i dont remember who posted the link so i have to search the thread...
i will start by transfering the measurements in cm for german use...
i will post pics during the building and i am shure i´v got  questions during the build...
i have already build some smaler models from scratch but this is my firs giant one.

steve
Old 11-19-2011, 02:50 AM
fredo

Hi Stefan (I think that could be your name)
Welcome to the forum. This plane is one of the nicest planes to fly by far. You will enjoy it. I can see now that all the effort was well worthwhile. I'm sure you will have a few questions during construction but good thing is,
there's a lot of very experienced builders here that will help you to solve the issues.

Thanks Ken, next Friday I'm about to re-certify it. The fix on the wings won't be that difficult but the cabane cross braces (since I made them functional) will have to be secured better way against vibration. I'd liked to keep them for better support. The only problem is, I can't access the area where it crosses, so I could wrap a piece of cotton thread with superglue.
Old 11-19-2011, 11:05 AM
misterbill
My Feedback: (2)

Steve - here's a material list that was on the web somewhere. Hope it helps.

Cheers,
Mike
Attached Files
File Type: txt
Ig13664.txt (2.7 KB, 160 views)
Old 11-20-2011, 01:14 AM
stefan b

hi mike, thanks for the list, that was exactly what i was searching for, but i couldnt find the post...
so next work is transfering the measurements an bying wood...

steve
Old 11-23-2011, 04:44 PM
fredo

Hi guys
After making some improvements on the rigging to satisfy myself and my certification inspector we made another flight today. I tried several manouvres and yes I can feel a bit of nose heaviness but it's not a problem. I have enough room to shuffle my battery back a bit. Overall, I'm happy the way it flies. Here are some pics.

Name:	Wu59638.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	188.2 KB
ID:	1690470   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64104.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	1690471   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pv53012.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	1690472   Click image for larger version

Name:	Au57376.jpg
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	1690473   Click image for larger version

Name:	Al70623.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	208.2 KB
ID:	1690474  
Old 11-23-2011, 06:20 PM
Big_Bird

Congratulations! Great to see the flying photos. I have found a nose heavy plane to be almost as problematic as a tail heavy one.. Is Fredo your real name?
Old 11-23-2011, 08:58 PM
fredo

It's interesting what you say. I noticed when I invert it, I had to use a fair bit of down elevator to keep it going level. Also when I did half cuban, as I was coming from the top, while doing half roll, it just wanted to dip into a shalow dive rather than staying in 45 degree angle. I must say it tracks really nicely though. I will now move my battery pack in the rear and re-check the ballance. See if that improves.
I don't mind if I have to push the stick a little for inverted flight but this is a bit more than I expected. It also flies more scale, which means slow and that would be another factor. Probably have to use more deflection anyway.

PS: By the way my name is Viliam and Fredo is one of my favourite dogs (in the pic, the one on the right)

Name:	Ki19466.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	182.9 KB
ID:	1690541  
Old 11-24-2011, 07:20 AM
Big_Bird

Viliam, I have mine balanced right where the plans show. I think you will like it even better when you get it right. Nice dogs.
Old 11-26-2011, 02:19 PM
Gordon W

ORIGINAL: gallen

Gordon,

Since you asked you asked for a flight report on my 35% Bücker Jungmann design, here it is. There are actually two models, one built by my friend Matt Chapman and the other built by me. Both weigh 32 lbs and are powered by DA 85's. This is way more than scale power, but the models balanced perfectly with this engine, and we can always throttle back. Both fly great. Matt has actually flown the full scale, and says the model handles much like the full scale when throttled back to scale speed. Here is the link to one of Matt's 2010 Top Gun flight. I think this is his 6th overall flight with the model, and there was a pretty stiff cross wind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3geSyDHrzD8

My model was not ready for Top Gun, but it was flown in team scale at the 2010 Scale Masters by my brother-in-law Dorin Luck. No professional videos were made, unfortunately. The only video I have is the series of the maiden flight with Dorin at the controls. The venue is my club field at Valley Forge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnitJAFjaMY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiPxZDpSvOA

Gary Allen
My oh my. The thread has moved on a lot since I was last here.

Fredo, congratulations on the success of your Jungmeister. It looks a million dollars in your chosen colour scheme.

Gary, many thanks for posting your videos. Your and Matt’s Jungmanns are absolutely stunning in realism in looks and in flight. The way the landing gear operates is marvellous and I can watch the landings again and again!

Way back in the 1970s and 80s I collected some magazine articles about the full size Jungmann and Jungmeister, written by airshow pilots, which contain excellent and comprehensive descriptions of the way they flew and handled, and I can tell that your Jungmann and Jungmeister fly just as in the magazine descriptions. If you’d like to drop me a pm with your email address I’ll scan the articles and email them to you. You too, Ken and others on here. They really are a fascinating read and wholly validate our reasons for flying Buckers in preference to Extra derivatives!

Ken. Huge thanks for your full description of how you solder your model’s bracing attachments. In fact following your earlier mention of the Dubro rod ends, I looked them up on the internet, and as they’re not available over here I turned a bunch of them on my ancient Unimat 3 lathe. Regrettably the lathe, which I hadn’t used for about 5 years, needed fixing as its bearings were shot and the cross-slide was too slack. So the whole job was a lot more time consuming than I hoped it would be but I got there in the end.

Another reason to fix my lathe was my decision to replace the Saito with a Laser 240V-twin as the latter engine is reputed to be very smooth running with little vibration. I’ve converted the engine to run on gas using a couple of Rcexl ignitions, and needed the lathe so that I could make adaptors to hold the magnet and sensors. That job is now finished too, and the engine runs sweetly on gas with 200 rpm more than the Saito on the same prop, which is a bonus. I’m now about to install the Laser and hope to be flying the Jungmeister again in a couple of weeks or so.

The first pic below shows why I decided it was worth investing in the Laser to try to reduce vibration. The crack is at the top of the cabane diagonal strut. The landing wire lug can just be seen, and I think that the vibration from the landing wires was transmitted via the lug to the strut, and repeated torsional flexing generated the crack. So I’ve plated over the crack on both sides, the next pic showing one side. I will eventually install a similar bracing lug system to the one Gary used on the Jungmeister and which Ken illustrated earlier in the thread (thanks Gary and Ken!) as any bracing wire vibration won’t then transmit directly to the struts.

The next pic shows one of my sixteen home made fork ends, which are rather oversize but will do for now. I’m using the Flair steel ferrules and flat stainless bracing wire and hope my silver-soldering will hold.

The last pics show the Laser conversion. The annular fins on the crankshaft housing complicated the internal shape of the sensor ring, which had to be turned with steps inside. Both sensor and magnet rings are split and are each secured in place with a pinch-bolt.

Gordon

Name:	Wu62311.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	226.0 KB
ID:	1691682   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm38470.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	153.1 KB
ID:	1691683   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze84782.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	1691684   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ic83274.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	156.8 KB
ID:	1691685   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xi60760.jpg
Size:	139.1 KB
ID:	1691686   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qh66509.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	1691687  
Old 12-09-2011, 04:30 AM
johnMADRAMS

Hi Fredo and Ken
WOW just cleaning my keypad off after checking out the photos from Tingalpa web site of their warbird day, Congratulations on one lovely beast great job and great flights Fredo. Ken I now know what your talking about on too much nose CG - my Bucker didn't survive after wing tip roll at 30feet the test pilot had his hands full right from ROG. AH well most of the fun is building and getting it right, just glad I got the video on the test fly. I'm rebuilding and will have the guys double checking my setup. thanks for the cross talk guys and good flying.
johnMADRAMS.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:19 PM
fredo

Thanks John, she is a really lovely flier. There's a couple of things I need to do though. I have to correct the CG and put a little downthrust to the engine. I noticed after trimming the plane for level flight I had to put a little down elevator 'cos she wanted to climb slightly. Yet I know the CG is about 10mm forward. I think the downthrust will make it more neutral and might improve my inverted flight as well. If I invert it now I have to use a fair bit of down elevator to keep it level. It will take me a few flights to get it right but I think it's worth. Other than that, all I can say this is a lovely gentle giant. Strangely enough, with Moki 150 in the nose it doesn't seem to have that ridiculous power as I initially thought. It seems to have just the right speed and power.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:27 AM
Big_Bird

John I sure am sorry to hear of the crash. When you get it rebuilt check, check, and re-check everything before you go fly it. Make the CG spot on according to the plans with the horizontal stabilizer level. Use an incidence meter on the wings and horizontal stabilizer with respect to the center line of the plane. I assure you that this is a very easy flying airplane when every thing is right.

Viliam how does the plane behave when you are flying at full throttle and suddenly chop the throttle. If it needs some down thrust in the engine the nose will drop instantly due to the down elevator trim. Of course the down trim may be needed because the horizontal stab leading edge is a little low or the wings are a little too positive. Lot of factors here to consider.
Old 12-13-2011, 01:18 PM
fredo

Hi Ken
The nose does drop a bit when I bring it on idle. Like you say, it drops due to down trim. It's possible that slight nose heaviness does not play
a big role in this instance. You brought up a good point, which only confirms that I should use a bit of down thrust. I haven't done a lot of flights yet but will give it a go a small change at the time.

John, I hope your plane is fixable and you'll get it back in the air. As Ken suggests, incidences are an absolute key with the CG.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:35 PM
fredo

Hi guys, here is a short video of my Bucker's 4th flight. Still some trimming to do. Take off was missed and landing....well just ignore it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTt0y7yjqDo
Old 01-10-2012, 08:50 AM
Big_Bird

Great flight. I would guess that the Jungie is one of the best flying planes that you have ever had.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:50 PM
nichda

Hi all,

I have just received the Gary Allen Bucker plan from Air Age, and I am looking forward to the build.

In terms of powerplant, does anyone have some feedback on how this model would go on a Saito 450R3.
would this be a suitable power plant? I have a zenoagh G62 but really tempted by the Saito !

I have experience in flying my fathers Dave Platt Bucker and the Bucker is just a superb flyting machine.
It has to be one of the best biplanes of all time !

thanks,

Dale
Old 10-16-2012, 11:01 PM
Göran

Hi Nichda

I have Saito R3 450 in my Jungmaister and it works great and the sound WOW!
The best flying airplane I have.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.