Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 5 of 38 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Gary Allen 33% Bücker Jungmeister

Bob,
    I've heard mention of a hatch around that area as well but haven't been able to find any documentation regarding it's placement or how it's designed. If I'm not mistaken, the zipper in the back was originally for storage so I'm not sure what the hatch's purpose was??? Anyone want to chime in? All the pics on the internet I haven't seen a hatch and the zipper is obviously more visible so seeing has how my wire's already run and my switch/charge and remote head lock are already installed, I think I'll stick w/ the zipper

While we're on the subject, does anyone have any info on the hatch?

Jay

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Jay, I did a google image search.. here's a picture showing the hatch. Its a panel right behind the cockpit..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Qo41149.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	90.0 KB 
ID:	197340  
    BobH.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Dear Big Bird:

The PIPE here again...hope YOU had a nice Thanksgiving this year...!

I've an update of sorts on the search for scale STRUCTURAL info for the Jungmeister...Alex Gohl, from the Bücker Museum in Germany, CAME THROUGH NICELY after Jens and I got in touch with him...some pages that Alex Gohl sent to me, from a 1930s era German FLUGSPORT magazine had Bücker factory provided fuselage structural images in there, but I can't actually SHARE those EXACT images with anyone, since the Bücker Museum site at http://www.buecker-museum.de/ DOES own the copyright on those!

However, when I start building the Dave Platt plans-based Giant Scale ABBABIPE Jungmeister sometime in the future, and I will have done up a set of NEW CAD scale fuselage structural drawings here at home, for my 1/4th scale Jungmeister based on those illustrations, the CAD drawings for the model plans will be MY exclusive creative work, and therefore THOSE will NOT be subject to any form of copyright from the Bücker Museum site...!

There WAS another photo here from RCU that I've saved to my hard disk, that DOES show about the entire "bare bones fuse" of a Jungmeister under restoration...that will also be used to create my own original CAD drawings of the scale fuselage structure for my upcoming Giant Scale ABBABIPE Jungmeister project.

And an update to JENS KLANK's website to report, too... ...Jens now has a "Best Of" page, at http://www.biplanes.de/flugzeugindex.htm , to help antique aviation enthusiasts (AND us RCers) find NUMEROUS photos of favorite antique aircraft photos at his biplanes.de site...the Jungmeister is covered with THREE pages from German fullscale airshows from 2003 that Jens has shot, and those pages DO include some nice Jungmeister photos...!

Right NOW I'm heavily involved in drawing up the CAD plans for my FIRST WW I Giant Scale aircraft project, the Bristol Scout C of Lanoe Hawker, here at home...but the Giant Scale ABBABIPE Jungmeister is going to be the NEXT one I'll be getting to (for the scale structural drawings for THAT one) with DesignCAD 3000 to "correct" the fuselage structure on the Dave Platt plans to match the full scale layout...but I thought I'd let you know I HAVE had some nice help from a German antique aviation website's Webmaster in getting those illustrations that WILL be helping me do up the CAD drawings for that future project...!

Season's Greetings and
    Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE!
    \"Pipe smoking contributes to a calm and objective judgment in all human affairs\"...Albert Einstein, 1950

Barrowhill, Staffordshire, UNITED KINGDOM
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Jay, I am pretty sure the zipper is for access to the elevator linkage, as it is about this point that they change from pull pull cables to a pushrod for the final link to the elevator. The luggage hatch is is on the port side behind the cockpit, to the next rear former. It is hinged at the top, just below the fairing, and extends down to the top fuselage longeron. I have a 30% Jungmeister powered by a Zenoah 62, it weighs 22lb. Flies great at this weight, is yours the same size?

Ian.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi David, I enjoyed the German sites but get frustrated since I can't read German. Good luck on your CAD drawings.

Jay, The zippers were used to access the tail wheel lock. Essentially, the translation of the warning above the zippers says to disengage the tail wheel before moving the plane back-wards. It needed to swivel or else something mechanical could break.

You will be able to see the luggage hatch from these photos.

Ian, do you have any photos of your plane that you can share with us?

Ken

Name:	Zx70414.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	56.9 KB 
ID:	197386   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ni23085.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	22.9 KB 
ID:	197387   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wb77065.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	50.0 KB 
ID:	197388   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fd92619.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	77.7 KB 
ID:	197389  
    Ken
    WACO Brotherhood #70, Arlington TX home of the Dallas Cowboys, SupBowl45, Texas Rangers, World Series 2010, 2011

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ian,
    No it's not the 30%, it's 25%...

Gee thanks everyone on the hatch stuff! I feel like a moron

...now back down to the basement...build...build...build...

Jay

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Too windy and cold yesterday to fly. When I was building my Jungie, I was in such a rush to get it ready for the flying season that I skipped putting the hatch cover on the left side. When you guys started talking about the hatch I started feeling guilty so today I put it together. No, it doesn't open.

Ken

Name:	Jh14671.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	114.2 KB 
ID:	197919  
    Ken
    WACO Brotherhood #70, Arlington TX home of the Dallas Cowboys, SupBowl45, Texas Rangers, World Series 2010, 2011

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Biggie.. your plane looks good! That hatch is a perfect place for the switch and glo connector don't ya think?
    BobH.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Bob, I think that a functional hatch would be a good place for the glow and charge connector on Jay's plane. Another place would be below the dash and recessed a little so as not to be too obvious. Another place would be on the bottom of the fuselage. Behind the zippers would not be too good. I don't like wires running in the vicinity of the antenna.

Ken
    Ken

Barrowhill, Staffordshire, UNITED KINGDOM
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here are a couple of pics of my Jungmeister, in its original colour scheme. I am in the process of renovating it, recovering it in Alex Papana colours YR-PAX. Does anyone have any photo's of this machine? This is not the example that is with Kermit Weeks, although he has finished his in a similar but not the same scheme. I have also re-engined it with a Zenoah 80 twin, as this motor sounds much sweeter in this model, as it flies at lower throttle settings.

Name:	Ec88832.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	89.0 KB 
ID:	198070   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bw72660.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	53.8 KB 
ID:	198071   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ua70340.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	64.9 KB 
ID:	198072  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ian, that's a good looking Jungie. I asked a good friend to see if he has photos of YR-PAX. Will let you know. Here is a photo of my 1st 33% Jungie.

Ken

Name:	Om32261.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	153.6 KB 
ID:	198089  
    Ken

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ken,
    Do you feel it would cause interference? Have you had any experience/issues with it in the past?

Thanks,
    Jay

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Jay, I have always made it a practice to keep the antenna as far away from wires and metal objects to help prevent interference. On my Jungie I run the antenna up the back of the former behind pilot's seat and down the inside top of the fuselage toward the tail. No, I'm not saying that running glow plug wires to the back of the plane will cause interference. I just like to be on the cautious side. Be sure to do range checks with the engine off and running.

Ken
    Ken

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Just got the tail feathers and the top center wing on! I need to finish the bottom center wings and then sheet the fore portion of the fuse then I can finish assembling the wings!

WOHOO!

Jay

Name:	Jg14016.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	108.7 KB 
ID:	206650   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bx73776.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	107.9 KB 
ID:	206651   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jo30615.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	111.4 KB 
ID:	206652  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Looks like really good progress Jay. I see you still need to put the sheeting on the sides of the fuselage near the front.

I hope all of you who follow this thread have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Ken

Name:	Us55341.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	130.7 KB 
ID:	206653  
    Ken

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ken,
    Yeah, I was waiting for the side sheeting because I needed to add the fueler (square balsa on the side) and I wanted to see how the cabanes would turnout before I sheeted it. Now that that's taken care of, the sheeting is ready to be done. I covered the elevators today with Coverite Lemon Yellow fabric and they turned out very nice. It's my virgin experience w/ fabric but it's been pleasant so far...yes, I'm sure it will get a lot worse when the compound curves on the fuse need covering!

Cheers,
    Jay

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Jay, how did you like the photo of me leaning on the BIG Jungie at the Grand Prairie Municipal Airport?

......................the one sporting DuBro wheels.

Ken
    Ken

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey guys,
    What's the wing span on your Bucker? Thanks,Bryce

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Bryce, mine is the 33% and has an 86.5" wing span. One of the best flying bypes that I have built. The only problem is with a strong cross wind. With the extreme forward placement of the main gear, the plane really has a strong weather vane tendency.

I know that you are still salivating over one of these larger ones. It's time to jump on in and get your feet wet.

I don't know if I mentioned this before but the tail wheel wire is too small at 3/32". There is so much weight on the tail wheel due to the placement of the main gear that almost anything you do bends it. I went up to 1/8" and it was better but it didn't satisfy me. The final size is 5/32". It seems to be holding up fine.

Happy New Year

Ken
    Ken

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ken and Company,
    It's true, ya'll are killin' me with your Bucker's. My wife has to mop the floor after i check out your Bucky news, the floors too slick from all the drooling. Here's a pic of mine currently hanging in one of the bedrooms at our bed and breakfast . It's the Pica kit with a YS 91 for power. It's a great airplane all around, the best of all times. She's been retired for 3 years, but is going back in the sky this spring, after the engine gets fixed.

Being a really crappy builder and an even worse pilot, I opted to put a leaf spring tailgear on mine. Not scale, I know, but I fly with the most heartless, incompassionate bunch of flying critics I've had the good fortune to be around. If i so much as deviate 10 degrees off of runway heading during takeoff, They are quick to let me know! So I cheated.

When i go the Arizona kit crafters page, i can't find anything on the Bucker. What am i doing wrong?
    Thanks, Bryce

Name:	Om34338.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	19.7 KB 
ID:	210065  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ken,
    That pic of you and the jung is awesome...I'm definitely jealous!

Bryce,
    My 1/4 scale jung is 65" Wingspan...the same plans as Ken's from http://www.rcstore.com/ but 1/4 instead of 1/3. Progress has been slow this week on my bucker due to a bad incident with a drill bit and my finger! I was drilling the root rib for the arrowshaft pegs and the bit caught the ply and jammed thru the rib and hit my thumb...check out the cool pic! Anyways, I just got the last wing on...much more work to do with the flying wires and such but with the RCV 120-SP engine it currently weighs in at 12 lbs. 5 oz. Not too bad I think. Anyways let me know what you all think.

Cheers,
    Jay

Name:	Tr50761.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	215218   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vq52704.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	88.0 KB 
ID:	215219   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gl21024.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	87.0 KB 
ID:	215220   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vo37659.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	90.0 KB 
ID:	215221  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well here's Mike. The Aces of Iron pilot I'm going to use in the bucker. I just finished painting him. This was my first paint job

Ken,
    Commenting on our earlier post, yes, I agree completely, the tail wheel wire is way to weak. I increased the size on my 1/4 scale one as well.

Cheers,
    Jay

Name:	Bz78831.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	89.5 KB 
ID:	222150   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mh20548.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	85.8 KB 
ID:	222151  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

For some reason I haven't getting e-mail notices on this thread.

Bryce, I also have noticed that the Jungie has disappeared from the Arizona Model Aircrafters web site. That should be no problem because other kit cutters can handle it or you can cut the parts out from the plans. I did that with my first one. The cowl and wheel fenders are available from Stans Fibertech. They are good quality.

Ouch Jay, that photo is hard to look at. You need to quit using your thumb for a back stop. Hope it is getting OK.

Your plane really is looking good. That pilot should go well with it. I guess you will be test hoping it this summer.

Ken
    Ken

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

for some dumb reason they removed the link but the page is still there...
    http://www.arizonamodels.com/newproducts.htm

Jay

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

There you go Bryce, Call em up and order one tomorrow. Thanks Jay.

Since I use a Sachs-Dolmar 4.2 on mine the performance is really good. In looking at Arizona Model Aircrafters recommendation of a G-23 for the 1/3 scale model I'm chuckling to myself. With the 4.2 in the nose there is not an ounce of balance weight required. If you used a G-23 a lot of nose weight would be required. This size plane with all of the built in drag would do well to achieve controllable level flight with a G-23. A loop would require a lot of dive in hopes that the momentum would carry it over the top. I may be wrong on the G-23 but I don't think I'm too far off.

Ken
    Ken

Page 5 of 38 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast