Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

Gary Allen 33% Bücker Jungmeister

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Gary Allen 33% Bücker Jungmeister

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2005, 11:00 AM
air farce one

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Gary Allen 33% Bücker Jungmeister

My Fellow Bucker Junkies,
Buckeritis is ruinin' me. Can't sleep at night. Get the cold sweats. Dry mouth and all. I still have my Pica plans and CGM plans. Been thinkin' I'm gonna scatch build a .90 4 stroke size blending both of the above plans. Will probably do a meister based on the Pica outline but lighten it upin the fuse and do something about the awkward fuel tank arrangement, clip the wings so they are the same length as the fuse, and remove the dihedral from the wings. Wife says i need to shut up and do somethin'. What a perdicamint! Any thoughts on the mods? Bryce
Old 02-02-2005, 07:15 PM
jwreffner

Ken,
The G-23 recommendation I believe is in error on Arizona's site. If you look at the RCStore.com site:
http://www.rcstore.com/rs/general/li...t=10&catego=PL
it recommends the G-23 for the 1/4 scale, not the 1/3 scale which is a 45cc gasser. But yeah, there's no way a G-23 could haul around a 1/3 scale Bucker, at least not comfortably...

Bryce,
What's wrong with the fuel tank placement? I find the setup (at least on the Gary Allen plans) quiet slick being removable and all...good centerline w/ the engine to avoid adding a pump (for us glow geeks)...plenty of room in the fuselage for it too. As for the other mods, I probably wouldn't mess with it too much as the Bucker is a good flying plane to begin with I can't wait to finish mine up! I got the cowl and wheel pants this week...I'm triming them up and will be painting soon.

Stay tuned for more pics...
Jay
Old 02-02-2005, 11:39 PM
Big_Bird
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Bryce, you have me so confused about combining plans, chopping wings, and modifying a screwed up fuel tank arrangement that I can't intellegently comment on this mess.

Sooooooooo, I think you simply need to buy a set of the 1/4 scale plans and build one like Jay did. You can get a lot more helpful comments on that one. I can't believe that you would ever be happy with what you suggested.

Life is too short, go first class, it doesn't cost much more. Read this to your wife and I'll bet she will agree. What do you think Jay?

Ken
Old 02-03-2005, 04:19 PM
jwreffner

Yeah, I agree w/ Ken. While I must admit, the 1/4 scale plans are pretty messed up, the biggest problem is not having the lower center wing layout on the plans and no dihedral information. Since Ken gave that info too me I've been able to work out all the other mistakes on the plans. The poor ******* who made the 1/4 scale plans should be shot, but never the less, the bird will be beautiful when she flys this spring/summer. If you hack it to bits bryce it's probably going to be just as easy to build the gary allen plans. It's taken me a year to do this one but this is the 2nd plane I've ever built (first scratch build) so I'm sure someone with more experience will bang it out quicker than me. Besides...when building from scratch it's easier to spread the costs out over the course of the project...easier to hide it from the wife

Just my 2 cents...

Jay
Old 02-16-2005, 11:54 AM
nbldr

Hi gents,
Does anyone have a photo of the cowl and fenders for the Gary Allen 1/3 Bucker 133 as supplied by Arizona Models or other supplier. The cowl in the photos of the origional made from wood looks good with the thin leading edge lip. A prefabricated glass cowl would save a lot of labor especially when one gets to the cylinder blisters. So many in the past have a large radius at the leading edge and are not very scale looking. Thanks .
Old 02-16-2005, 04:52 PM
Big_Bird

nbldr, Here are photos of the fender and cowl that I got from Arizona Model Aircrafters. You may be able to buy them direct from Stan's Fibertech. The cowl is one piece and I added the parting line and latches. Of course the latches are only for show.

Welcome to RCU and the Jungmeister thread.

Ken
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53304.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	230196   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id97031.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	230197   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq38625.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	230198  
Old 02-16-2005, 05:28 PM
nbldr

Big Bird,
Thank you for the reply. Truly fantastic looking bird. I built and flew a Platt Bu-133, still have it, for several years. It just needs to be larger. I want to do a functional landing gear which might be possible at 1/3 scale. Is yours the 1/3 scale and if so whos wheels are you using, they look great. Karl
Old 02-16-2005, 07:29 PM
Big_Bird

Hi Karl,

Yes, my Jungie is the 1/3 scale version and it does have the functional shock absorbing landing gear. The wheels are Dubro. I normally paint wheel hubs but they came the same color as the full scale plane has.

I couldn't be prouder of my plane and I love it's aerobatic qualities. When you go to the field or a flyin with it you can be sure that it will be the only one there like it, unlike Extras and ARFS.

Ken
Old 02-16-2005, 11:16 PM
nbldr

Ken,

Did I see in a previous post you are using a Sacks Dolmer 4.2? Any idea how it compares to a Zenoah G-62 or DA 3w-50? Any chance of getting a set of your drawings for the functional gear? I have been digging thru my aircraft supply catalogs checking 4130 tube sizes etc. There is a fellow on this forum who is corresponding with someone in Germany trying to get factory drawings. The lower centersection is not generally done correctly on the models i have seen. The lower wing root sections end at the fuse sides and the gear fittings are possibly attached to the carry thru spars. At any rate perhaps he might share whatever he has for clarification. Several years ago when i flew into Dacy airport in Wi.I looked over an origional Bu-133 owned by the Dacys. I mean origional. Looking inside in various places one could see the origional brass tags attached to a sub assembly each signed by the craftsman who made the part. It had the Seimens Halske 160 engine, no U.S. conversion. They finally sold the plane to John Denver due to a family tragedy & of course J.D. has left us as well. I wonder where the plane is today. If I only had a camera. Sorry about being so windy. Thanks for the reply. Karl
Old 02-18-2005, 08:15 PM
jwreffner

nbldr,
Here is my 1/4 scale. I just got the cowl on today. I bought the cowl from Stan's as well. Took him 2 weeks. He did a bang up job.

Jay

Name:	Db86346.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	231249  
Old 02-19-2005, 12:12 PM
nbldr

Hi Jay,
Looking great. Is that Stans Fiber tech that you got the cowl from? What engine do you have installed? Karl
Old 02-19-2005, 10:39 PM
jwreffner

Karl,
Yeah, I got the cowl and wheel pants from Stan's Fibertech. He did a great job. As for the engine, I chose the RCV 120-SP. It fits perfectly inside that cowl! It looks really cool inside. I'm not going to add a dummy radial unless I need some nose weight.

Jay
Old 02-20-2005, 07:05 PM
Big_Bird

Karl, I'll try to answer your questions. The Sachs-Dolmar 4.2 turns the same prop about 300 rpm faster than my G-62. I have no basis to compare it to the 3W. I'm using CH Electronics electronic ignition with Syncro Spark. As you can see from the photo I am using a much modified Bisson vertical muffler. It had 2 pipes coming out the bottom. The bottom was sawed off and a plate welded in place. One of the pipes was welded into the side. I did this to keep the muffler completely inside the cowl. The weight of the 4.2 is very close to a G-62.

The gear is shown on Gary Allen's plans.

The plane that I modeled mine after is shown on my avatar.

Jay, the cowl looks great.

Ken

Name:	Ca82949.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	232166   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pl32683.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	232167  
Old 03-18-2005, 09:23 PM
CharlieK

There is a bagagge compartment behind the pilot on the left side of the aircraft, and the zippered panel is mainly to access the elevator pushrod system bellcrank for maintenance inspections. The airplane uses pushrods on the elevator controls with bearings, and also I believe on the ailerons, and cables on the rudder according to the maintenance manual I have. I am going to start on my 1/3 scale as soon as I get done building my house ( retired and now I work harder than when I worked for less pay?), hope to have it done in a couple of years ( the airplane, the heck with the house , that's just to store airplanes in). Does anyone know if there is an actual scale shock absorbing gear for the airplane? It looks a whole lot better with the wheels hanging sideways when it flies. It would probably make it squirelly on a paved runway just like the real one though.
Charliek

If it flies I fix it.
Old 03-20-2005, 12:08 PM
Big_Bird

Hi Charlie, welcome to the thread. I am also retired (Texas Utilities Oct 1999 after 33 years). With so many things that require my attention now, I'm not sure how I was able to work and get them done.

The Jungie is one of my all time favorites and I'm sure glad you are going to build the 1/3 scale version. It flies great. What engine are you going to put in it?

Ken

Name:	Pm34976.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	211.1 KB
ID:	246462  
Old 03-20-2005, 03:05 PM
CharlieK

Hi,
Probably a 4.2 of some kind. I live at 7200 ft. and the little engines kind of flame out up here on power. I got the elevator controls wrong too. They use pushrods on both ends and cables in the middle. When you sit in the airplane and run the controls though they sure feel like pushrods. The Jungmeister has worked its way up the list to being my favorite airplane, sure would like to fly a real one but I haven't done any full size flying for 20 years and wasn't comfortable going solo in my friends even though it was offered. My Pica version flew great but had lots of mechanical problems, or in airplane mechanic terms it didn't like me so i sold it. Hope to get started building in the next year or so when I get the house project done and finish the Extra I am building.
charliek
Old 03-20-2005, 07:06 PM
Big_Bird

Charliek, I ran pull pull from the servos to each elevator half. Although I deviated from scale here, I just like pull pull elevators on that vintage plane. It also makes them very positive in response.

When you start building, I have a lot of photos of mine that I'll be glad to share. Jay and others on this thread are also good sources of info.

Ken
Old 03-20-2005, 07:37 PM
CharlieK

Sounds like a good idea to me. Mine will be a working airplane and not competitive scale in the first version. if it does well and I have the time I want to build a scale version just for the fun of it. How long does it take to assemble it at the field? I am presently planning on using it and the extra for eveyday flying airplanes when i get them done. Also, how does it handle the wind? Non wind type airplanes don't get much use in Wyoming. Hopefully it is big and heavy enough so it won't be a problem.
Charliek
Old 04-13-2005, 11:51 PM
marwen1
My Feedback: (6)

Hi Ken:

This "reply" is is at the end of your thread for Big Bird. I just read the whle thread, Ken.

WOW! I think that's about all I kept reading throughout. I've never built LARGE RC's before but I see that I'd fit right in. Even though everyone in todays world, most everyone knows me as being a DIGITAL printer or else a photographer. Little do they realize is that when one is born back in 1941, one manages to aquire a little bit of a history. (Gee that date sounds a little familiar - I think)

Since 1974 to 1992, I was a journeyman cabinetmaker. Most everything I did in the latter years was architechtural millwork. Shooting weddings and modelling portfolios in the evenings and weekends.

Back at the end of 1992, I was in CALGARY, ALBERTA. There was a young lady that wanted a nice little table that was sold in the Malls for about $250 or so. It was a 1/2 round top with three curved legs and a tiny drawer in it. I told her I could MAKE one for her that would only cost her about $50.

She shook her head in either disbelief or wonderment - I don't know which but a question I remember her asking me was " well, have you ever made one like that?" I told her NO. " Then how do you know you can build one?"

I just shook my head, laughed inside and delivered one made out of Oak and I think some ELM. They both look much the same.

I guess my point is that, there really isn't too much that one CANNOT build, if they use 1/2 a brain! LOL

Anyway, I am so very glad that you like you prints. I not sure yet but I may use a lot more of the data than I was originally planning on. This thing has quite a history.

I'd love to see (and hear) some videos of her.

Oh, yes, I am using the one you sent to me with the other plane in the background. I just took EVERYTHING out at the grassline and put a dark to light blue sky in the backgound. It cleaned up real nice.

By the way, try something --- shoot two images of the very same thing. Shoot one as a JPG and shoot the other as a TIF. In fact I want you to acutally open the JPG in PHOTOSHOP and save it with as much compression as is possible. Now, print both of them with the same printer. Try to get your subject so that it shows a good amount of clear blue sky.

Then tell me what you see. If things turn out right, you will see a lot of little, oh lets call them "squiggly little lines at the EDGES of pretty much all of the solid lines. Especially those in the sky area. What it is, is artifacting. Compressing an image is fine, it's when you DECOMPRESS the JPG. and again, the more you compress, the more it has to decompress.

That's it for now, guy - It's gettin' a little late and I'll give you a call tomorrow nite

Marshall

Old 05-27-2005, 07:44 PM
Big_Bird

Jay, I haven't heard from you guys in a long time. How are the Jungies coming? I've been flying mine quiet a bit lately.

Ken
Old 07-03-2005, 06:17 AM
The PIPE

SUPERB online documentation photos...from GERMANY!

Dear Big Bird:

The PIPE here again...and at...

http://www.buecker-museum.de/modellb...l01/133_01.htm

...there are some SUPERB, online viewable and downloadable (using that nice "Save Target As" menu item in the Microsoft IE browser) photos of Jungmeisters...and that site IS right in GERMANY!!!

I'll be copying all of the Jungmeister structural photos at that site to my own hard disk this weekend...

...just thought I'd mention it!!!

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE!
Old 07-03-2005, 11:35 AM
Big_Bird

Hi David,

Good to hear from you again. Thanks for the link. I just finished downloading all of the photos. It is a very good collection.

Looks like all of my other Bücker buddies completely disappeared from this thread. I finally got around to putting the booties on the the outer wing struts.

John sent me this photo of his newly overhauled BU-133C.

Ken

Name:	Qo39084.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	150.1 KB
ID:	293141   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx75883.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	293142  
Old 09-03-2005, 02:44 PM
jwreffner

Ken,
Ok, she's all covered finally (pics forthcoming) with the exception of the black swoosh. For some reason I can't get the dimensions correct to cut the fabric. How did you do it?

Thanks,
Jay
Old 09-03-2005, 05:06 PM
Big_Bird

Are you are talking about the black swoosh fabric? I didn't use a separate piece for the black, I masked mine off with tape and spray painted the black.

It's been a long time since I've heard from you. Where ya been?

Ken
Old 09-03-2005, 08:12 PM
CharlieK

Hi Ken,
I'm still here. Got all of the wood for the Jungmeister and hope to start it early next year. Do you have any problems with the torque on the g-62 with your airplane? I have decided to use a z-445 2 cylinder which has slightly more power than the 62. You need all the help you can get at 7200 feet.
Charliek

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.