Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

Hostetler 33% Decathlon

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Hostetler 33% Decathlon

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2006, 06:19 PM
icrashbipes
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hostetler 33% Decathlon

thanks bob, just what I needed. have'nt seen any vid in a while. we need to fly your cameralady down to Brazil for marcus' maiden.
she does an excellent job. shot was as steady as your landing.
Old 05-28-2006, 06:51 PM
Flying Hog

Thanks Russell...I'll be sure to tell my wife the nice words..... She just said that if Marcus flies her down there, She would film the maiden..As for the landing, I was having a little problem last year landing. This year, I moved the CG back a little and it seemed to help out.
Old 05-28-2006, 07:00 PM
Newflee

What kind of smoke system are you using Bob?

Lee
Old 05-28-2006, 09:44 PM
Flying Hog

Lee. It's a Sullivan Skywriter on a 4.8v battery, 20 oz tank, Slimline muffler, and Superdry smoke oil.
Old 05-29-2006, 04:49 AM
Kellermann

Hey Bob, nice movie. Nice smoker...

Marcus
Old 06-01-2006, 08:14 PM
Bobt2
My Feedback: (4)

i need to ask some questions from someone who flies this plane hard. is the airfoil full sym? i,m looking for something different for imac. is the plane capable of positive and neg snaps? point rolls and inverted spins. power will be a da100. i realize there will be coupling issues but am i barking up the wrong tree? i/m tired of all the extras and yaks and i'm one of the last real builders. thanks bob t
Old 06-01-2006, 08:44 PM
Flying Hog

Hello Bob... I'd like to say that I fly mine hard, and that's the same reason I built mine. I was tired of all the Yaks, Extras, Edges. The Decathlon will do all the IMAC stuff, but you are right, There is coupling. If you ask me, I think that a plane like this will make you a better pilot because of the coupling. I do both inside and outside snaps, 4 point rolls, loops, hammerheads are a thing of beauty. Inverted flight, slips, both upright and inverted spins, I can't do one yet, but a friend of mine was doing rolling circles with it. The plane is awsome as a Sunday flier also. Mine is the 30% with a G62 in it. Big Birds is the 33% with a ZDZ80 in it. I think the 33% with a DA 100 will give it more than enough power. Check out the videos of mine at www.putfile.com/flyinghog Hope this helps.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:50 PM
Big_Bird
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ditto on what Bob said. I fly my 33% hard also. It is a really good aerobatic airplane. I particularly like doing 8 point rolls. Doing a coordinated (rudder, elevator, aileron) slow roll takes some concentration. During the first 1/4 of the roll when the rudder coupling is opposite the aileron, you have to add a little aileron throw to maintain the same roll rate. During the last 1/4 of the roll when the rudder and ailerons are the same direction, due to rudder coupling, you have to reduce the aileron throw a little to maintain the same roll rate. Practice this over and over until it becomes second nature. It's fun to do right.

I don't know too much about IMAC but if you want a plane that can do aerobatics exactly like the full scale then this is your plane. If you want to take the lazy way then probably a YAK, Extra or CAP is your plane. It would sure get attention at an IMAC contest.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78297.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	470224   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64355.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	470225  
Old 06-02-2006, 07:39 AM
Bobt2

thanks for the info, looks like what i want. one more question, from the past posts there seams to be a cowl issue with it not having a scale outline. has this been solved? i would also like to fly this in sos
Old 06-02-2006, 08:58 AM
Kellermann

Bobt,
the cowl outline issue won´t be solved unless the designer changes the plans. WH´s plans show a wider than high firewall, actually the whole plane is somewhat flattened, there are some 2 or 2,5 inches missing in height on the fuselage.
If you´re not into scale competition, only IMAC, there should be no problem, otherwise you´ll have to change the design to go scale.

Marcus
Old 06-02-2006, 09:31 AM
icrashbipes
My Feedback: (18)

boy oh boy will you have` a head turner at competition though...
Old 06-02-2006, 11:15 AM
Bobt2

i want my cake and eat it too !i want to fly scale too!
Old 06-02-2006, 02:52 PM
Kellermann

Fly scale or build scale?

Guess then you´ll have to choose between stretching the height a little when building, and then either carving your own cowl mold or have someone else doing it for you, or build from a different set of plans.

Marcus
Old 06-02-2006, 03:17 PM
Big_Bird
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

.........or buy one of the German kits.
Old 06-02-2006, 05:39 PM
Kellermann

dead right!
that's an even better (and easier) solution.

Marcus
Old 06-02-2006, 05:42 PM
Bobt2

actually i heard some bad news today for us builders. i called all american kit cutters and was told the owner passed away last week and the wife is closing up.
Old 06-02-2006, 06:17 PM
Bobt2

fly scale or build scale? valid question. truth is both.in imac my son and i are the odd ones, weBUILD what we fly. i scratch build or from kits. currently just finished framing a balsa usa 1/3 super cub. don't want to flame but no arfs or arcs allowed in my hanger.
Old 06-02-2006, 06:39 PM
Kellermann

You're my kind of guy.

I do the same - I only fly what I build. Ok, ok, a small exception is the GP "Bunny"(Space)walker I am flying currently, but that is a gapfiller between one project and other, due to a crash.

My SD is totally scratchbuilt as you may already know.
Provided you're a seasoned builder, if you plan to build from plans, I'd be happy to send you a copy of my scratches (wouldn't dare to call it a plan) , and you could make a foam wing with capstrips simulating the ribs, and build a wooden fuse.
And I could supply you a set of glass Cowl, Wingtips and Wheelpants at a moderate price - just remember my plane is 30% scale, and if the 100 is a twin it might protrude from the cowl...
300cm wingspan would be just right for IMAC, yet a good 80cc would fly it really hard at 10Kg...

My .02c

Marcus
Old 06-02-2006, 06:47 PM
Kellermann

Bob (Flying Hog)
I'd love to fly both you and your wife down to Brazil, I'm sure you'd both like the nice country we live in. I'm sure she would do an excellent job filming the maiden flight!
Wish I had so much money...

I am stil waiting for my buddy to finish the scale muffler, he told me to wait till next week...

Will try to find a good uploading site, other than putfile.com, they tell me they are no longer accepting files from my area...trying to figure what that really means...apparently they banned my ISP from their allowed ISPs. I wonder why, since Terra.com is a worldwide ISP present allover Southamerica and in Europe...

Will let you know, obviously!

MArcus

Old 06-02-2006, 07:54 PM
Flying Hog

Thanks for the offer Marcus.... Maybe some day the wife and I will get down there for a visit......After the daughter is off to college of course.
Old 06-03-2006, 09:25 AM
Kellermann

Is that really NEWS?
Before that great magazine, Scale R/C Models, went down the tubes and while Norm Goyer was the editor, I used to read of AAKC of being run by Chuck Gill & Sons, then again after some time I read of the 'late' Chuck Gill (so I understood he passed away)...
Now who is the one that passed away last week? His son? Had he kept the biz running? Or someone else? If so, tragic coincidence, to read the same news about the same biz...

Well, just curious...

Marcus
Old 06-03-2006, 01:55 PM
Bobt2

all i know is when i called friday, a woman answered the phone and said my husband passed away last and she wasjust selling what was in stock.
Old 06-03-2006, 04:22 PM
Kellermann

Sad news anyway...

Marcus
Old 06-05-2006, 01:05 PM
Kellermann

While waiting for the new muffler to arrive, I worked a little on the SD this weekend, and made the removeable cockpit floor.
1/8" balsa, will be lined with dark grey feltpaper to resemble the fullsize´s carpet lining, and will make some aluminum rectangles to resemble the footplates, and will make some fake Bellanca pedals, which are different than the ACA pedals.
The front interior will be painted dark blue as in the original. Visible in the picture are the throttle and choke servos.

The nice feature is that the floor really hides all the wiring and plumbing, including the 24oz. tank, only the black receiver + switch board will protrude, yet will be hidden by the seats when installed. Will actually replace the switch to alongside the door, on the floow, almost invisible to the onlooker, yet easier to reach when the wings are attached.

Will keep the pix coming.

Marcus

Name:	Tr51098.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	472444   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79267.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	472445  
Old 06-07-2006, 09:07 PM
Kellermann

The owner of the full size PP-ZPA told me tht for aerobatic flying he takes the two upholstered seats out of the plane and replace the front one by a simple, sheet plywood seat, with only a thin sponge padding glued to it, to "better feel the airplane" in his own words.

Well, although that is not as pretty as the upholstered seats, it made my life easy. Tried to replicate the wooden seat, guess the result is close to the original...

The frame is 3/32 wire bent to shape, and covered with a fuel tube all the way around, a few pieces of 1/32 plywood imitating the sheet metal straps, a few bursts of black paint and voilĂ*, there it goes...
The plywood was imitated by sheet balsa (1/8) and lined with brown paper. After drying everything was epoxied to the frame.
Then I took an old sock and cut off half the foot and used it to cover the back of the seat, like the cover seen on the pic of the original.

I couldn't help but pinning it inside the plane with the pilot of my former 1/3 scale Cub, which has yet to get a new jacket and a casquet with googles, like the ones Alex Venson uses on the fullsize,

The position of the seat has yet to be corrected (moved a little backwards) but the effect is there....

Enjoy the pix.

Marcus

Name:	Us52851.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	473981   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jf11658.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	473982   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze86804.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	473983   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ic83677.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	473984  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.