Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

Hostetler 33% Decathlon

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Hostetler 33% Decathlon

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 03:09 AM
Kellermann

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hostetler 33% Decathlon

ORIGINAL: Bobt2

ok, turns out the da 100 is actually smaller. fits in the cowl with a little room to spare, however i,m sure the front of the mufflers will poke out the front bottom.
Here are flying shots of 2 of my 35%s - the white one is powered by a DA-100 and the pilot installed a 2 : 1 muffler with the stack coming out of the cowl thru the air vent. He did leave it protruding but didnt have to, could have cut if flush with the underside.
The Blue N White has a DLE-111 installed, and the stacks are hidden in the air vent opening like I described before,on my 30%.
NONE of them have the manifolds poking out of the front bottom. Well - I actually designed the plane at 35% instead of 33% to get that extra room on the cylinders. Perhaps the added bonus was the manifolds being hidden as well.

Cheers
Marcus
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ro42076.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	1831039   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up48388.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	11.7 KB
ID:	1831040  
Old 12-17-2012, 04:42 PM
martinwpb
My Feedback: (4)

Ordered my SD (hostetler) Plans and kit are shipped Building start next week.

Will post pictures.

Martin

Old 12-18-2012, 04:34 PM
Bobt2

ok, back on the bench tonight. i split my after work time between a little building and post sandy repairs to the house.getting back to the front bottom issue. the inside width of the fuse is 10 " that is set by the cutouts in f1. the plans show that front lower former as only 8 3/4 wide, and that was what the kit cutter supplied.of the 3 lower front formers only the one on the gear plate is correct. i ended up making 2 formers to fit the fuse. all the stringers are now in and awaiting sheeting. and again, all the top front formers are correct and fit just fine.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:53 PM
ludfleet
My Feedback: (10)

HI Bob2t, Just want to make sure we're talking the same plane. after seeing your last post I went to the shop and got my plans out and did some quickk measuring. The bottom formers measure approx 11"right off the plans, could find none that measure 8.750.
Not trying to cause trouble just trying to help out. Are you sure your plans are for the 33%? Something doesn't add-up. When you have a chance check it out. My curiosity is getting the best of me. Joe
Old 12-18-2012, 06:48 PM
Bobt2

bought my plans direct from wendel. 33%. f1ac in the lower left corner of the fuse plan. 1/2 former shown. measures 4 1/4 from cl to edge. thats 8 1/2 " excatly what national supplied.
Old 12-20-2012, 02:16 PM
John La Belle
My Feedback: (52)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Martinwpb; Tried to answer your email but would not go thru.The 32 oz fuel tank is accross the fuselage behind the firewall fairly high up-Covering is not monokote but is solartex natural with stitts polybrush then polyspray and painted in automotive PPG paint with hardener and flex agent addedThe wing struts I made from 1/8x1.0 aluminun full length and faired 4 sides with pine (I just don't trust inserts in wood struts on aerobatic model) The paint scheme I copied from a full size plane I found on airliners.net reg# OK-DEC

Name:	Qo40730.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	154.5 KB
ID:	1832329  
Old 12-20-2012, 09:00 PM
martinwpb

Hi John,

thanks for your response lot of helpfull information. Is it just a standard 32oz dubro tank?
also what size of spinner you guys use? I'm going to a big rc store in Orlando tomorrow so I like to pick up a few things.

also got a hold of a new dle-111, so probably buy a 28x10 prop at the store.

martin
Old 12-21-2012, 02:32 AM
John La Belle

Hi Martin; The Tank I used was an old Graupner tank I had for years but any tank that fits should work just measure space you have and use what fits well-The 2 blade prop will give very little ground clearance, I made the first few flights with a 27x10 but the blades would touch the ground at anything but level position as you can see even the 3 blade prop doesn't give a whole lot of ground clearance. the spinner is parabolic I got from Dave Brown at 4" dia which is scale as the Decathlons use 12 did but look at my nose and see that 3 3/4 might look better ?
cheers John
Old 12-21-2012, 02:59 AM
Kellermann

John and Martin, I must correct one information here: the spinner of the FullSize Decathlon has varied over the years. The older models (pre-2004) had a larger bullet shaped spinner, and only the newer models (post 2004) have a smaller, parabolic (model-like) spinner. Citabrias always had a smaller Spinner than Decathlons. That used to be one hint to tell them apart at the first glance, besides the wingtips and profile, not to mention the painting scheme.
I used a 4 1/2 spinner as a rule of thumb for the 30%, and a 5 1/4 for the 35%, a 5 inch would be OK for any 33% to look right. Model Decathlons will always look odd if they have a spinner too small in diameter.

Have a good day
Marcus
Old 12-21-2012, 12:23 PM
John La Belle

Hi Guys; The only reason I used the 4" parabolic is the my son owns a 2008 ( I think) Decathlon and it has a 12" parabolic style spinner I have no reason to believe it is not a stock factory spinner but may have been changed I will check with him when he gets back from his trip. But I think the 4" spinner I used looks too large on my plane at 33%. Oh well its not a true scale plane just something I thru together for a change from my large heave scale models cheers John
Old 12-21-2012, 04:30 PM
Bobt2

if i may add my 2 cents to the tank questions. i have been flying large gas burners in imac for years. if theres 1 thing i learned, the rubber stopper in the tanks will fail/disinigrate/ melt with some of the gas additives in the fuel. the only safe tanks are the cap type as marketed by b&b [if there back] or aircraft international. i will never put a stopper tank in a gas burner again.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:35 PM
ludfleet

First, I must thank Marcus for the good info as usual, I've built large scale planes with gas engines for yrs. myself and have always used the dubro tanks with the red stopper, you have to replace the black one with the red one, no problem. I just went to the BB web site and their tank looks pretty good, however never used one. About three times more than Dubro, I guess whatever floats your boat. Hey guys keep the posts coming. Joe
Old 12-21-2012, 06:51 PM
Bobt2

so, ludfleet, did you check your plans again?
Old 12-22-2012, 04:31 AM
ludfleet

Yes I did, and I missed that little devil, You know, it's been two yrs. since I built that part and for the life of me I don't recall having a problem in that area. I tried to see in there and can't so I just don't know. Sorry I couldn't be of any help. Joe
Old 12-22-2012, 07:51 AM
Bobt2

as long as i,m not crazy![well maybe a little]
Old 12-22-2012, 07:53 AM
Kellermann

ORIGINAL: John La Belle

Hi Guys; The only reason I used the 4'' parabolic is the my son owns a 2008 ( I think) Decathlon and it has a 12'' parabolic style spinner I have no reason to believe it is not a stock factory spinner but may have been changed I will check with him when he gets back from his trip. But I think the 4'' spinner I used looks too large on my plane at 33%. Oh well its not a true scale plane just something I thru together for a change from my large heave scale models cheers John
John you did a great Job on your Decathlon. I must however assure your spinner is not too large, actually it looks a little undersized, probably due to the "oversized (scalewise)" prop blades, if you take your son´s Deke´s spinner spec at 12" a third scale would actually be 4" which is correct. Then again I must alert ot the fact that the WH SD is not exact scale and the looks may fool one around.
Your full scale OK-DEC is a 2008 ACA Super Decathlon (cn 1081) delivered to the Czech Rep. AeroClub. It has the same 12 inch parabolic spinner that is currently standard at ACA, and which is actually much more modeler-friendly than the earlier model Decathlon Spinners, which I assume to be 15" therefore my previous information on the 30% scale at 4,5 inches would be correct.
If my information is inaccurate, and the older style spinner was only 14 inch dia. then 30% would be 4 1/4 inches, still using a 4 1/2 would be ok because the difference would be mere 1/8 inch ea. side, barely noticeably. But somewhere in the back of my mind it tells me 15 inch.

Have a nice Christmas ya all...and keep up those good jobs.
Marcus
Old 12-23-2012, 10:12 AM
ludfleet

Hello Marcus, How tall is the antena (on your 35%)that is located on the top rear of the fuse? I already have some good pics of that part from your 35%. Not sure how large to make it. Christmas just around the corner. Hope you and your s have a Blessed and Merry Christmasn and Happy New Year as well. Joe
Old 12-23-2012, 12:16 PM
Bobt2

so, wondering out loud here, has anyone done one in monocote? the only painting i can get away with is nelson water based and i already have one big project that will get that treatment.
Old 12-23-2012, 01:06 PM
Kellermann

ORIGINAL: ludfleet

Hello Marcus, How tall is the antena (on your 35%)that is located on the top rear of the fuse? I already have some good pics of that part from your 35%. Not sure how large to make it. Christmas just around the corner. Hope you and your s have a Blessed and Merry Christmasn and Happy New Year as well. Joe

Joe, to be honest I eyeballed the size of the antenna.
I am enclosing the side view of the SD so you can take your measurements and compare.
I don´t have the exact measurement, I have a mold I made - the base is resin cast and I drill a 3/16 hole on top to insert a 3/16 round dowel. The length will vary from model to model. Check the drawing...

Cheers and merry Xmas
Marcus
P.S. if you wish I can send you one, you can dremel it down to the needed size.

Name:	Ec88756.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	1833156  
Old 12-23-2012, 03:12 PM
Kellermann

so, wondering out loud here, has anyone done one in monocote? the only painting i can get away with is nelson water based and i already have one big project that will get that treatment.

Bobt2 you have the option of doing it Oratex, all out in the colors you want, the only "paint" will be the FG parts (anyway) and one clear cote to seal the fabric, you can bring the plane over to a card bodypainter.
Less fuss with excellent results. Look at my page, the first 17 models were done that way. I then switched to Oracover, IMO far better than Monokote.

Cheers
Marcus
Old 12-23-2012, 03:40 PM
Bobt2

yea, oracover is ultracoke here in the us. nice to workwith, but not as strong as monokote, imo. the other product doesn't seam to be available in the us?
Old 12-23-2012, 06:24 PM
Kellermann

yea, oracover is ultracoke here in the us. nice to workwith, but not as strong as monokote, imo. the other product doesn't seam to be available in the us?
Bobt2 Ulracote is not the same thing as Oracover. Oracover has the same name worldwide. I am sure it must be available in good hobby stores or mail order services. Same for Oratex.
And Oracover is sure stronger, more opaque and more stretchable than monokote. I use no other product on my planes.
Of course, to go scale all out I have to use white or natural ´tex and paint and clearcote. Except for the pinstripes, which are tapes on the fullsize, you can use tape on the model too without spoiling the scale effect, it´s actually the opposite, you enhance the scale effect using tape.

How´s your build coming along? post some pictures, after all, it´s a WH building thread...

Cheers
Marcus

Old 12-24-2012, 04:43 AM
Bobt2

me, post a picture, now thats funny.ask me anything about aviation, i was brought up in a aeronca champ in the 50's and of course have my full size ticket, but anything to do with computers still stumps me. and santa is bringing me a slr for christmas. but putting the 2 together.that will take a miracle
Old 12-24-2012, 08:00 AM
Kellermann

Hahaha Bobt2 I know what you´re talking about. Ask one of your younger folks to take the pix and post them here for you...
Merry Christmas!!

Marcus
Old 12-24-2012, 09:12 AM
Bobt2

yea, merry christmas too all. i realized years ago i did a carden 35% extra 260 prototype kit build here on rcu for dennis. i just have to remember how. it will come back. maybe a little liquid refreshment tonight will help!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.