Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

Hostetler 33% Decathlon

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Hostetler 33% Decathlon

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 07:07 AM
RonMcCormick
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ordered and received plans for 33% SD, I know this is an old thread but any recommendations on best source for laser cut kits?

I plan to modify it to make an Xtreme Decathlon version with DA 70 or 100 for power.
Old 06-08-2016, 11:34 AM
Bobt2

just saw this. I used national balsa, really nice work and I had the kit in less than a week. I had 1 small issue, which was fixed by them quickly.i will use them again.. the pictures are on kirbys kustom graphics web site.
Old 11-16-2016, 09:42 AM
ferincr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi, I have a set of plans for the 30% but it's thread is quite short and it seems like everyone swapped to this thread since they both build the same (I think).
Looking at the plans there seem to be some details that I can't figure out, I'm not sure if once I get the pieces I'll be able to sort them, one is the external balsa sheeting between the firewall and F4 would create a step with the 1/8 x 1/2 balsa stringer. Should I cut the stringer thinner in front of F4 or sand the balsa sheeting down to nothing towards the rear?
The other thing I can't figure out is the part below the stab and on top of the ply side.
Sorry but I really like to make sure I understand everything before I even pop the tools out, anyway I still waiting to hear from the kit cutter.
And still in the hunt for the cowl for it too, I remember reading earlier on this thread about some issues people had with the cowl, might be possible that what they got was for the 30%? Should I aim to get the cowl for the 33% to assure it fits all the way in as per plans or would it be too big?
Thanks,
Fernando
Old 04-15-2017, 12:00 PM
ferincr

Default May day may day!!!!

Does anybody still check this thread??? I have a couple of Q's for the ones that built it....
Thanks,
Fernando
Old 05-04-2017, 07:38 AM
Bobt2

listening
Old 05-04-2017, 09:36 AM
ferincr

Thanks Bob,
I got answers through a different forum so far, but is good to know people still visit here in case I have more in the future.
I'm working on the fuse so far and the both areas I'm struggling a bit with are the vertical fin area of the fuse (which in the end I just went with I thought it looked right) and the top of the cabin (between the two wings) that I'll leave until I have the wings and probably do the same just join both sides in a graceful manner
Old 06-15-2019, 10:02 PM
monarocoupe

Hi Marcus,,
Are you still building the 35% Decathlons?

This is a great resource, Took me a long Time to get to the end

Great builds everybody.
Old 12-17-2022, 07:01 PM
SteveD-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

Ok so I started this thread over 20 years ago, and I’m thinking that it’s about time to get the thread going again….
I still have yet to complete this project.I had the stab built and that’s about it. I started the fuse and then put this one on the back burner to do other projects.
Does 20 years go by that quick? Yes it does. So right now I’m nearing the finishing stages of a Bates Bellanca Cruisemaster. So I’m thinking ya maybe get the 33% Decathelon back on the table. Get her done.
Hopefully in January,stay tuned.
Old 12-18-2022, 06:03 PM
Tony Hallo

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts

Steve,
I recently finish an eleven year old project. I have a BUSA Super Cub that is 16 years and waiting so you are not alone. Can't wait for you to get back.