Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

Hostetler 33% Decathlon

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Hostetler 33% Decathlon

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2004, 08:57 PM
CaptainHook
My Feedback: (80)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hostetler 33% Decathlon

Ken, those are some great shots of the SD. I have a pic of the progress on mine, things are starting to take shape but I have not worked on it much lately. Too many other things going on. I have taken the wing to a minimal point to assemble F-13 and 14 to the cabin. Hopefully I will get some time this weekend to work on it. I have a small building area and this sure takes up some room when assembled. I really need to start building some smaller models but I love this giant stuff too much.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xu62790.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	166.0 KB
ID:	178929  
Old 10-03-2004, 09:49 AM
Big_Bird
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sure looks like you are making good progress Carey.
Old 10-04-2004, 06:32 AM
Kellermann

Ken, it's not just you, I have the same feeling. Actually I tried several times to get get the juices flowing, posting pics or other interesting information about the SD, however it seems that everyone has lotsa things else to do. Like myself, of course, my building on the SD has been minimal these days, but not because of lack of motivation. I got sidetracked by 2 other projects, actually I have to rebuild my "allrounder" which actualy I have to build from scratch again because the only thing I could save were the wings and vertical tail. But it's now ready to to cover again (the fuse) and some minor mods yet to be made on the wings, then cover it again - hope to have everything done except covering by ends of this week.
The other project is a small trainer I am buildig for my daughter, as soon as it's finished I'll be back on track again, my goal is to have the SD completed by ends of this year.

Back to the subject: every once in a while Ari gets up early and post some stuff, and Doc Jim jumps in when time permits. All the others are apparently gone...would like to know how it went with those maiden flights of Donnie, Geoff, the final result of Sam's in Norway, the dutch guys had their own site and they took nice pix of the trio.
But what happenen to all the others?? Did Lee give up? Jeff? ...??

And Ken, just don't apologize, your posts have been a great addition to our "club" as Lee described is once. I am the one to blame in the first place, because I started it all, that is, beginning with a Super Decathlon that isn't even a WH design...
Well, in this case, I apologize, too.

Carey, congrats on you quick building. Hog, go ahead and start the project, you'll get hooked. The SD is such an interesting subject.

Have a nice week, all.

Marcus
Old 10-04-2004, 07:55 AM
Jim J

Good morning! Great pics from Texas there. Marcus Spring is coming for you! Days are getting short here. The sun is down by the time I get home! I don't know that there is lack of interest, I think other things get in the way now and then. I have finished at least four other planes since I started on the Decath. No excuses, just time lines gettting in the way.
I have a P-51 project I am covering for a friend. It is the ARC version that a friend bought....I have one as well but I am going to wait to cover it with either glass or stits.
I started of the pfer last week end and I have the tail feathers left. I covered on it most of yesterday. I think all that is left is the elevator now and painting the glass parts.
THe decath is still in progress here. I don't know what happened to Lee's. He also flies full scale so he may be deep into that as well. It is about the freeze up up north again.
Keep the posts coming from all sides!
Have a great day all over guys!
Later, Jim
What is the weather for Austin this weekend ?
Old 10-04-2004, 08:45 AM
Kellermann

Hi Jim,
yes, spring is here and the weather is nice for flying. Hope to have my "allrounder" ready by ends of net week.

Marcus
Old 10-04-2004, 10:39 AM
Big_Bird

Jim, the weather is supposed to be rainey all week here and in Austin. I guess I'll have a good handle on it by Thursday.

Glad you will have the SD look-alike in the air pretty soon Marcus. I had to give the Corsair some TLC this week. Down at Bomber Field it developed a violent elevator flutter and I found some cracks in the fuse in the horizontal stab area. I pulled the elevators off and stripped the covering. I then added additional bracing to stiffen them up and added mass balance weight to balance them. It's back together now. Of course I had to rebalance the plane. About an additional pound in the nose.

Ken
Old 10-04-2004, 11:27 AM
Flying Hog

Thanks Guys... glad to be here. Got a few Questions. Who are you using for kit cutting and fiberglass parts? Because of space, I think I'm going for the 30% size and was wondering if a ZDZ80 would be enough?
The reason I want to build a SD is because I see too many "3d" planes out there and to me, that's not real flying. Earlier in the year, I purchased the Carl Goldberg 80" Decathlon and I've got a thundertiger 90 in it. Man what an excellent flying machine. I love it when the guys behind me yell out to do a slow side slip across the field. Slipping it in for a landing is my favorite. Anyway, any info would greatly be appreciated.
Old 10-04-2004, 11:39 AM
Kellermann

Flying Hog,
the 30% is another nice option - mine is 31.25% as told, own design.
And yeap, the ZDZ 80 would be more than enough to torqueroll the SD forever...Ken's flying his 33% scale with gobs of power to spare, correct me if I'm wrong, Ken.
I would reccomend a good 48-62cc, even the old venerable Zenoah G-62, for that size and SCALE flying. I am going to power mine with a Quadra 42, which I think will be at the lower limit for a plane this size, but that's because I have it lying around, later I'll buy another engine.

By the way, what's your real name??

MArcus
Old 10-04-2004, 02:34 PM
Flying Hog

Sorry about that MArcus My name is Bob. I've been flying for about 10 years now and Love to fly.
Old 10-04-2004, 04:01 PM
Kellermann

Well Bob, nice to talk to you.

Good luck with your project, if you read thru these pages you'll notice that I have researched a lot about the SD, any help needed other than specifics of the WH plan, feel free to ask. Ken is the one to ask about the WH design.

Marcus
Old 10-06-2004, 08:28 AM
Flying Hog

Well Guys... Spent the better part of a full day reading from post 1 all the way to present. I now have alot of pic's saved on the puter and gobbs of info. I think I am going to get the plans this week and cut the kit myself. If I should get the kit from a kit cutter instead, some one let me know. Thank for all the useful info.
Old 10-06-2004, 11:58 AM
Kellermann

Now Bob tell me you didn't get hooked...as you could see, this is a very special "community" of SD lovers...
go ahead and start cutting.
Ken, you better answer Bob's question about a kit cutter...
Bob, the only kit cutter that I know of is All American Kit Cutters, run by the late Chuck Gill's sons - at least that's what I hearf of a while ago, they used to cut and even stock all of the Ziroli warbirds, however I don't know if they cut Hostettler designs.
Well, remember I leave in Brazil, thousands of miles south of you guys, this might have changed a lot.

Tonite I am starting to re-cover my 35cc gas powered, sport job which at 100 feet and nightime looks llike a SD, after that I'll be back on my big SD.

Marcus
Old 10-06-2004, 01:15 PM
Big_Bird

Hi Bob, I built the 33% and did all of the cutting. I'm sure that there are many good kit cutters that will do the plane. Here in Texas there is an up and coming kit cutter called Laser Lizard. He recently cut out a friends Hostetler Stenson Reliant SR10 and the work was excellent.

As far as the ZDZ80 having gobs of extra power, it doesn't. However, it has been the perfect engine for my plane and knowing what I know now about it I would go the same way again. Mine turns a Bambula 26x10 prop with the Bisson Pitts style muffler at 6100 give or take a little depending on the weather. It turns a MenzS 26x10 at 63 - 6400. That is comparable to some 100 cc twins.

My concern in a 30% is the prop clearance. On my plane, I always make flared landings because if I make a wheel landing and get a little bounce it hits the prop tip. Of course, you can always use a taller gear. For that plane I might go for the ZDZ60 or the Brison 4.8 twin. What ever engine you can use to turn a 24x10. And by all means take measures to build it as light as possible. They fly better.

Ken

http://laserlizard.com/
Old 10-06-2004, 01:28 PM
Kellermann

Ken and Bob,
the scale prop on a 30% Super Deke would be 21.6", make it a 22" - that would be the best diameter, any engine in the 50-60cc range should be able to drive such a prop at 6400 +/-, correct me if I'm wrong...

Marcus
Old 10-06-2004, 03:40 PM
Big_Bird

That sounds about right to me.
Old 10-06-2004, 04:59 PM
Flying Hog

Hey Ken.. Thanks for the Info. I just shot Laser Lizzard an E-Mail.And Marcus.. Good luck on your covering job. Can't wait to see it.
After I sent the post about putting the ZDZ80 in it, I thought about it and said to myself that the 60 would be enough. There is a couple of guys at our field that run ZDZ's and They have never had a problem. In a bird with this elegance, I want a dependable engine.
Ken... I forgot to say congrats on all the plaques the plane is beauitful..Wish you had a clip of it flying.
Old 10-07-2004, 08:50 AM
Flying Hog

Good Morning Guys. The Plans are in the mail!!!!! Now I think I'll go out and take the Carl Goldgerg SD up for a spin.
Old 10-07-2004, 07:33 PM
Big_Bird

Headed to Austin Texas for a Big Bird flyin this weekend. The SD is privileged to ride in the back of the Ford pickumup truck. The rest have to ride way in the back.

If they ever quit making PVC pipe and rubber bands, I'll be out of business. If gasoline keeps skyrocketing like it has been lately I'll also be out of business for trips.

Ken

Name:	Fd91499.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	146.4 KB
ID:	180609   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg17445.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	180610  
Old 10-07-2004, 07:46 PM
Kellermann

Nice shots Ken!
Good luck in Austin, send us pics after the meeting.

Marcus
Old 10-07-2004, 08:13 PM
Flying Hog

Good Luck Ken
Old 10-08-2004, 12:46 AM
ghealey

Hi Marcus,

I am still around and flying the SD. We have an annual giant scale event in September and I took the SD. It performed very well
and recieved plenty of favourable comments. I am still looking around for a pilot. I have been unable to find a suitable one here in Australia. The plan now is to make a body and use a Sig 1/3 head.

I have been busy finishing of a couple of projects (scratch built Great Planes SS60 and my Hostetler 25% Gee Bee R2). When the weather warms up a bit I will paint the wheel pants.

I find this group discussion very informative and it has been of great assistance when I was building my SD.

Regards

Geoff

Name:	Fd91043.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	180664   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20171.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	180665   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29815.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	180666  
Old 10-08-2004, 05:03 AM
apalsson

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

G'day Geoff,

That Gee Bee is coming along quite nicely!!

Ari
Old 10-08-2004, 06:11 AM
Kellermann

Hey Geoff,
nice to hear from you! Have you seen all the PT-OTB pix I posted a while ago?? Yours look great, I guess the Sig Head would be a nice option - I have one too left over from my Spacewalker.
Nice GeeBee, lotsa stringers....

Ari, how's the Chippie coming along?

Will spend the better part of the weekend covering my rebuilt sport allrounder (by the way, the designer called it Mutley, sold lots of it) and post some pics when it's finished.

Bob, good luck too with your project. And hope Ken brings home another plaque from Austin...

Marcus
Old 10-08-2004, 06:27 AM
apalsson

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HI Marcus

Chippies is coming along well ... at the covering stage now.
Will post some photos when I have more

I've got a build thread on it in Kit Building

Regards

Ari
Old 10-09-2004, 04:34 AM
ghealey

Hello Marcus,

I did indeed see you great pictures. I have enlarged images of the sponsor logo's from them and I intend to get adhesive stickers made to suit. They should look a treat.

I am starting to dream about stringers. I also need to add thin ply doublers to the stringers. The Koverall will pull the balsa in and give the fuse a wavy look. I used the same technique on the SD. It sure stiffens the stringers without adding any noticable weight.

Did you use a 80cc ZDZ in your SD? I would like to get your opinion on performance, type of muffler, tank size etc if you did. I have got one but am yet to run it. I plan to use a Mejzlik 24x12 and maybe put it in the Gee Bee or a 2.3m Extra 330S.

Ari,

How is your SD coming, I will have a look at your thread. I am also building a kit at the moment. I got hold of a unopened 20 year old Pilot QB60 and I thought why not..I just needed to reduce the dihedral by about 60% and it should be OK for horsing around.

Regards

Geoff

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.