Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

New to gas. ???s about engine selection.

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

New to gas. ???s about engine selection.

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 06:58 PM
DeadAccount237939

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New to gas. ???s about engine selection.

c'mon guys...let's move on.
Old 04-22-2006, 12:15 AM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: AWS

c'mon guys...let's move on.
I'm over it.

My WHOLE point in suggesting the G-62 was because the plane can build out tail heavy. I DID NOT suggest that engine to start a fight about what engine is best. Open mouth, insert foot. I kinda let myself get suckered into it too. I hold no hard feelings.

I do find it amusing that the DA guys get their underwear in such a knot when you tell them that a 62 is more powerfull. It's niether here--nor there, but it's funny how blindly LOYAL they are. [:-]

I just know--I have this plane, and I know it'll build out tail heavy with a lighter engine. I wanted to help him--so I suggested an engine that would maybe help to keep it from being tail heavy. He wanted simple because it is his first gasser, and I think a mag equipped 62 is pretty simple.

I would always prefer a nose heavy plane than a tail heavy plane. Nose heavy is easy to fix. Tail heavy is not easy to fix.

I'm not here to piss people off--although I know I do. I try and help when I can, and sometimes I say stuff that I shouldn't. But, I'm as honest as the day is long. I give my opinions with the intent to help. Not start fights.

Old 04-22-2006, 12:43 AM
Rickles56

Good deal Rcpilet. I was probably out of line as well. You are right, it's so easy to get sucked into these petty arguments that don't help the person that asked for help in the first place.

You are correct about the tail heavy thing, good going. If I ever get a plane big enough for a G62, I will definately give it as much consideration as a DA if DA releases their 75cc by then.

I have a G26 I am trying to find a plane for. I have a 60-90 Monocoupe that I think may just be big enough for it. I had an OS 91 4 stroke in it and had to add 4 bars of lead to the nose to balance it. I think the weight of the G26 might fix that plane right up and I can remove the lead.

Have a good one!
Old 02-07-2007, 03:30 AM
hardtop351

if you want a horsepower gain and a weight loss.....remove the spark ignition system and use a glow plug and run alcohol fuel

cheers
craig
Old 02-07-2007, 05:10 PM
jsm77777
My Feedback: (4)

I'll add my 2 cents here. You can't go wrong with 3W or DA. I have friends that have BME and D&B and they are fine also, but not as good as 3W or DA. I have owned 10 3W engines in the 12 years I have been flying giant scale, and never had a problem. I just now purchased my first DA-150 that should be here shortly. DA has better service, and I think the throttle transition is slightly better than 3W is the reason I went with DA now. 3W's have a slight power advantage over DA, but both are relaible and smooth with more than enough power. Scott
Old 02-07-2007, 06:48 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lots of good engines out there, regardless of manufacturer. End of manufacturer story.

Rickles56,

If you're looking for a place to run that 26 you might want to look into a G/P Super Stearman. Just about the perfect combination between engine size and output, combined with the aircraft's required nose weight for a correct c/g. It's definately not a 3D aerobat but looks and flys good.
Old 02-07-2007, 07:10 PM
Zippi
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kwesdog,

I have a G62 that has been converted to EI by RC Ignition and it's a nice engine that come in at just over 4 lbs. You mentioned conversion engines, you might want to take a look at the new Brillelli 50cc GT for $495.00 and that includes the muffler and EI.