Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

top flite p-51 giant scale build

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

top flite p-51 giant scale build

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 09:54 PM
thisoldman
My Feedback: (29)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: top flite p-51 giant scale build

have just about everything for it now..  have the robart retracts.. they were already in the plane when i got it.  just redoing all of it has been a job.  about ready to fiberglass everything.  just need to do some finish sanding and then ready to fiberglass.  will get some pictures on here for everyone.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:15 PM
GSNut
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's good news... so will probably order the cockpit and wheel doors next week. And BTW: those are both good engines... I have the G62 in my Pitts. Love it and the way it runs.

Thanks Al ! And the pictures will be Welcome (from your last post..)

Doug
Old 06-10-2009, 03:42 AM
thisoldman

i got my inner and outer doors from aerotech.  was glad to see them get back in the business.  now i need to order my props and hub.. will get that from solo props.  another company that is now in florida. 
Old 06-19-2009, 08:00 PM
thisoldman

out of the hospital now so i can get back to work again.. was looking at front of plane.. got the fiberglass cowl for it. I see that the engine that had been in was offset. how are you mounting your engine.. using a g62. should i offset or mount it dead center. checked and motor mount is not offset.. just the engine was.
have to bujild new mounting system for this engine. should i use 2 degrees offset.
al
Old 06-19-2009, 11:13 PM
GSNut

I understand and followed the plan build on mine.... and the FireWall is or has 1.5 degrees right and 1.75 degrees down built in ( if the manual is followed). I did get the MT-57 V. ll So from what is being said about up trim being applied I think I will go to about 2 rt and 2 down for the trial with the off set from center. Have not figured the center off set yet as I have't gotten a cowl yet.

Sorry to hear about the hospital, hope all is well....!!

Doug
Old 06-20-2009, 07:35 AM
thisoldman

doing better now. just glad to get back home.. I checked the fire wall that had been installed and it has not degrees offset built in.. I don't know how he flew it. just motor offset. going to remove the old firewall and install new one the right way.  getting everything sanded is taking awhile. then will start to fiberglass everything. had to take everything off and redrill the wings for new hinges. plugged the old holes. redrilled and add dowel's with epoxy. then redrill for robart hinges. should be solid connections now.
almost as much work as building from scratch. but should be about like new when done. maybe by end of july will have it done and ready to go.

Old 06-21-2009, 07:09 PM
VanIsle Flyer

Hey folks long time no chat. Still havn't flown my stang yet but getting very close. I f somebody is using the DL50 I could use some advise. I'm having trouble getting the engine to settle down to a nice idle after running at a higher RPM. I havn't adjusted any of the factory mixture settings and have run about 3 Gal of fuel through it. If I throttle write back the engine continues to run at a fairly high RPM for about10 to 15 secondsor so then it settles down to a nice idle. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Jeff
Old 06-21-2009, 07:11 PM
VanIsle Flyer

Oh one other question. Does anybody elses elevators vibrate alot when running the engine up on the ground?
Old 06-22-2009, 09:16 AM
GSNut

Jeff,

Just a thought.... I had a motorcycle that did that.
I found an air leakat the intake, in it's case the carb gasket was bad. Also Maybe at the butterfly shaft or somewhere in the carb or the gasket............. Crankcase leak ???

On the vibrating surfaces.... maybe unsupported flexible pushrods ?

Just a shot in the dark.

Doug
Old 06-22-2009, 04:01 PM
thisoldman

have found 90 percent of the time, it is a airleak usually around the intake that causes rough idle when comming of high.  usually a gasket . i use a gasket sealer when installing back on motor.
Check your linkage. make sure you use solid rods and as short as possible. vibration will effect them every time if the can flex.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:50 PM
VanIsle Flyer

Thanks guys, I supported the heck out of the push rods no more than 3" between supports. That being said they stil vibrate. I havn't flown a gasser before and don't know what is normal. I do see this engine shakes ALOT morethan the glow engines. SoIn your opinionyou would say Ishould have no vibration in the elevator? My other controle surfaces dontshake but the of course aileronand flap being the only other horizontal surfaces are in the wing. The fuse seems to take most of the vibration. I'm stumped. I've builta few planesin the past with goodresults, just don't know what is acceptableon thislarge of a bird. Finishedit weighed in at 26lbs. That seems like ALOT!Can you tell I'm getting nervous closer to maiden day!! I would like to put her up next saturday. Any advise would be welcomed. Thanks

Jeff
Old 06-23-2009, 02:56 AM
aviator2002

Hi Jeff

Petrol engines do seem to vibrate more than glow especially at low revs, what is it like when you open the throttle? make sure both prop and spinner are balanced.
The weight shouldn`t be a problem as mine is in the same range and fly`s great but needs a bit of time to slow down when landing even with full flap, my flaps are set to the instruction manual but if I were building it again I would make provision for at least 80 degrees of movement to really slow her down, as it is I can`t get anymore without cutting into the hinge area to get more throw.
Good luck with the maiden, I am sure it will be fine.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:56 PM
VanIsle Flyer

Thanks for the tips Aviator. I have a couple more questions for you guys. What would you consider the minium lengh of grass strip to fly off of? Also can I expect much pitch up or down when I introduce flap? If I take off at about 15 degrees flap, and after I gain enough altatude what can I expect when I reduce flap, pitch up or down? When this plane gets close to stall how does it react? Snap? I have a challanging strip to fly off of. It may be 200' long x 20' wide with a power line I will have to fly under on short final about 25' from threshhold. When powering up for take off is there much yaw to the left? Thanks again for the help

Jeff
Old 06-24-2009, 05:32 AM
thisoldman

what size or the rods from servo to elevator and what is length. sounds like flutter.. which could cause a problem in the air or could just be vibration. not sure. might have someone else look it over for you.
Old 06-27-2009, 01:16 AM
VanIsle Flyer

Well people tomorrow is the day! $7000.00 and 450 hrs of work will be hurtled into the sky. Thanks for all your help getting me to this point. I'll let you know how it went.

Jeff
Old 06-27-2009, 06:59 PM
VanIsle Flyer

Stalled on landing......... Wing and Firewall toast. Engine failed, no idea why. Video will follow.

Jeff
Old 06-28-2009, 07:08 PM
andernamen
My Feedback: (3)

Man!! I am so sorry dude! My maiden ended the same way except the firewall and most of the fuse was fine. My wing split in two at the center. Not sure how bad it is, but I would see if you can piece it back together. I've done that with mine and it turned out okay.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:17 AM
doublebs

hey VanIsle , Sorry to read of your loss. that sucks . have you found out what killed your engine yet? I've read that most WWII planes like to land fast . Were your flaps deployed or up ? you got pictures?
Old 06-29-2009, 06:16 AM
thisoldman

sorry that happen. seems like every once in awhile this happens to someone.. hope mine is successful when i get that far.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:51 AM
VanIsle Flyer

Hey fellow flyers, thanks for the condolances. Unfortunatly I can't blame the engine on the crash the fact is I stalled if on short final. Just got it going to slow. Full flaps and gear down. I have looked at the video multiple times and it was obviuos it was going to stall I just didn't react. Althogh it did not help that the engine was barly running. I ran it up on the ground and it ran perfectly. Ideled down nice, ran smooth at full throttle.. just perfect. Then I refueled it ran it up to clear it's throat and let her go. At the same time the wheels left the ground the engine started to couugh. By the time I turned down wind it was cutting out badly. I managed one full circut and then set up for the approach. What a terrable waste. I didn't require a click of trim. The plane flew perfectly. No noticable change in pitch when I dropped the flaps. Gear worked great. Just good old pilot error. Forgot to fly the plane. If someone can tell me how to post a video from a DVD I have the whole thing recorded including a close up of the crash. You can hear the diffrence in the engine before and during the flight. Anyway I guess I'll have to order the parts and bild a new wing. I hope I can secure the firewall to the fuse with the correct incedence and resecring the air tank will be challanging with plane closed up. Havn't really looked to close at it yet. Still to mad at myself. That and I'm getting married this saturday so I probably shouldn't spend to much time in the old hobby room. I hope who ever reads this can learn from my mistake. Full flaps and gear down requires throttle or an obvious nose down attatude. The plane gives some indication of stalling.. a couple of slight dips of each wing then wham a very quick snap. I can say the plane was going way to slow. My approach was very long and I didn't recognise it had slowed that much. But when lookin at the video it is very obvious. Any way it's back to the drawing board.

Good luck and keep em flyin

Jeff
Old 06-30-2009, 06:19 AM
Jan_Petter

Hi Jeff,

I'm sorry to welcome you to the club. []

I had almost the same experience on my maiden flight last year. The engine died shortly after take off. I reacted to late, stalled on the down wind turn and crashed. Suffered for a week. Then I ordered the RTC wing, and I am now soon back in business. This time with a different engine!

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_45...38/key_/tm.htm

Keep it up and you'll be back in business soon!

Happy celebration!

BR;
Jan
Old 06-30-2009, 03:44 PM
Groundforce-RCU
My Feedback: (20)

Hey guys, I have just got my kit about 3 weeks ago & am on step 2 building the rudder, found that the rudder trailing edge peices for the vert. stab. are about a 1/4 inch too short. Has any one run into this?
Old 07-05-2009, 11:49 PM
VanIsle Flyer

Hey Jan, did you have to make many changes to the RTC wing and can you tell me where to order one? Thanks.

Jeff
Old 07-08-2009, 08:37 AM
Jan_Petter

Only one change was necessary. For some reason the wing attachement was changed 180 degrees from the kit. Dowels and wing bolts had to swop places in the fuse. It took me one evening to fix. Otherwise a perfect fit. I ordered from Tower.

- Jan -
Old 07-15-2009, 04:47 PM
aeroram
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Finally made first flight on my kit version. Good news - it flew and landed OK. Bad news we used all the nose down trim available and needed more, making it very difficult flight. I'm thankful I asked a friend with lots more warbird and P-51 experience to make the maiden.

The indications were that since the stability seemed OK the balance checked out (it did). The incidence of the wing and engine thrust line were probably off. I checked them and found that I built in about a degree too much in the wing and about a degree too little on the thrust line.

We'll see.

Bob

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.