Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

top flite p-51 giant scale build

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

top flite p-51 giant scale build

Old 01-25-2013, 02:16 PM
piperjon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: top flite p-51 giant scale build

It's a shame that aerotech closed down as they had some great gear for the TF GS Mustang. The canopy is one that we all got to try and make so it can open and close. I will have too see what I can here. I've had my kit for 3 days now and still haven't opened the box, but soon as I haven't got much room just now. I'm trying to finish my Hanger 9 Piper Cub and I have ordered the Super Cub H9 and I will use a brushless motor because our club has a problem with noise and have to keep it down or we may lose the field like so many others here in Australia.

More later
John

Old 01-28-2013, 02:16 PM
piperjon

Hi Goose,

Do you also know if Sierra Giant Scale still do the 5" scale wheels for the Mustang as I cannot see the wheel on their web site. I would ring them but I have to sit up and not go to bed so I can ring. That would be about 2AM my time. That's the trouble living in Australia.
I see robart have them, but they are the same asSierra Giant Scale have??

Cheers
john
Old 01-28-2013, 06:10 PM
v6goose

Yes, as far as I know the 5" wheels are available... I hope so as I have to buy a pair shortly.

The wheels are on the site to show the styles and I think he will CNC them to size. See [link=http://www.sierragiant.com/prod08.html]here...[/link]

2am phone call is worth it and I know what you're talking about... Kiwi here mate, just living on Hoth right now.

Robarts are not the same, only 8 spokes instead of 10 and feel cheaper. Yes, they cost less so if you are selling your kidneys for wheels go Robart, but if you want the best go Sierra's.

No I don't get cash-backs from Darrell... but I have been using his products for years and have never suffered a failure.

Good luck!

Goose

Old 02-03-2013, 03:51 PM
piperjon

Hi,

I was just thinking that any one had crashed there TF GS P-51 and may have been a right off AND had use the Aerotech canopy would sell it if not going to rebuild the Mustang again. If so just pin me ok. I know it is a shame to see any plane that a guy who has spent many hours building and finish up a right off.

Anyway I opened my TF GS P-51 and I have some work to do in replacing some timber as lots of damage in shipping from the US to me here in OZ.I am so happy to find a kit as I was going to build from a plan which I did 20 years ago. But now trying to find good timber and so onand after reading what you guy's have done to this kit, I just wanted to do the same.

Take care guy's
John
Old 03-10-2013, 12:44 AM
gree

Re wheels, these look just like the Roberts, and they can be painted up to look good. Plus you can't beat the price!
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...2pcs_Set_.html
Old 03-16-2013, 08:22 PM
piperjon

Hi gree,

I was buying a set from a guy inCal who would ship to my in tTexas, but my friend in Texas is having problems with his health and i don't want tootrouble him now as the guy in Cal was going to ship to him and my friend in Texas would then ship to me. So now i will have to buy fromSierrawhostill have them up for sale. Just now I am waiting to hear fromthe guy in Cal US to ship me the doors he has for sale but he must be sick as I haven't heard from him at all. He was going to shipjust thegear doors before until I found that my friendin Texas could ship them to me. But now i don't know what is going on.

Thanks for letting me know about the wheel but I will be trying to build my TF mustang very close to scale.

Cheers
John
Old 08-13-2013, 04:41 PM
Jetmech

Just wondering what people think of the OS BGX-1 engine in this airplane ?? I too am building this great machine and brought an OS BGX to throw in it, will it have enough power ??
Old 08-14-2013, 12:18 PM
andernamen
My Feedback: (3)

Really depends on a few factors. If you are scaling it out with lots of bell and whistles (i.e. weight) than you may want to consider something larger. Mine was built light with monocote, non-retractable tailwheel and flew just fine with a Moki 2.10 which is similar in displacement to the BGX 1. It had plenty of power and very few issues other than flooding out due to being inverted. I've seen these planes with 75cc gas engines in them that flew FAST!! You won't get that with a 35cc glow motor, but it will fly just fine.
Old 08-15-2013, 01:54 AM
Jetmech

Thanks andernamen, im currently glassing the whole model, so I've removed the old monokote and want some input into a "Different" colour scheme ??? any suggestions. I don't want to go for the same old polished aluminium looks. ?????
Old 08-19-2013, 03:03 PM
Leroy Gardner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Grimreaper200869
Thanks andernamen, im currently glassing the whole model, so I've removed the old monokote and want some input into a "Different" colour scheme ??? any suggestions. I don't want to go for the same old polished aluminium looks. ?????
Didn't the Australian air force have a few of these during the war, a lot of countries did, just wonder what it would look like with your countries markings on it or some other country scheme ?.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:37 PM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Grimreaper200869
If you go here: http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww2/f/165

There are over 500 different schemes.

Regards,

Astrohog
Old 02-08-2014, 09:46 AM
cmdiduca

I am just beginning my giant and wanted to find out if it is needed to isolate the engine with rubber mounts. I am going to use a dle 55. I can't seem to get a good answer on this.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:59 AM
Michel

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi

NO , No No No ,..................... , " Never use rubber mounts " .You will shake the model to pieces
Old 02-08-2014, 10:19 AM
cmdiduca

Very good
thanks for the quick reply!!!!
Old 02-08-2014, 03:49 PM
piperjon

The DLE 55 shake anyway at low idle and using a rubber mount will as Michel as said you will have lots of problems later and may even rip the engine out it self.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:06 PM
Leroy Gardner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cmdiduca
I am just beginning my giant and wanted to find out if it is needed to isolate the engine with rubber mounts. I am going to use a dle 55. I can't seem to get a good answer on this.
Anyone tell you that isolation mounts on these engines are bad don't know the first thing about what they do and why. Harmonics are one thing these engines produce and as the RPM increases the high frequency vibrations can be deadly for electronics that are not properly protected, all of them need to be isolated from the main frame of the plane with the dampening effects of foam to protect them. While you can't stop vibration you can dampen the effects if it with soft mounted engines for the same reason the engine in you car has them. It's true the whole plane has a way of shedding these vibrations but the soft mounts softenes them up and reduces the job the plane has dealing with them. You show me a real plane that doesn't have them and I will eat it, it's not going to happen.

Hard mounts are used alot in the large planes that have opposed engines in them, they run alot smother than a single cylinder engine, a radial runs even smoother, these engines have a balanced throw crank shaft in them that counter the effects of the forces that create the inbalance of a single piston engine, hence they have a harsher vibration in them.

My 1/5 scale hase a soft mount and it is recommended by TF to do so, other mfg. recommend them also and there is good reason for it. It's really your choice.

I used the Great Planes mount in my mustand and it was built up to allow for good air movement to the carb. don't do anything to restrict that no mater how you do it

Leroy
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0053.JPG
Views:	298
Size:	2.13 MB
ID:	1966805   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0052.JPG
Views:	366
Size:	2.15 MB
ID:	1966806   Click image for larger version

Name:	planes2009.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	765.2 KB
ID:	1966807  
Old 02-08-2014, 11:02 PM
piperjon

Hi,

I tried the mount and found after many flights I had to remount the engine again and used hard mounts this time and is still holding on okay. The plane I run my DLE55 is the hangar 9 Extra 260. i found that the soft mount worked well for a little while. Now hard and I have been flying RC from the 60's and have always foamed every thing in the fuse to help the life of the battery receiver and what else you add. So it is up to you what way you go in regards to mounting your DLE55. But again the vibration at idle is bad and I did find the DLE55 was better with the hard mount than the soft. Maybe lift the idle up a little. Anyway that's what i have found. But you try for your self. I have a TF 51 as well and will be soon getting into the build. But will use a hard mount with the exhaust I will use if a soft mount is used I think I maybe in trouble. But we will see.
Great lakes say this about there mount. I think it is the glue you use to glue the airframe together is the most important part of building your model. So there you go!!!
NOTES FROM OUR TECH DEPARTMENT[TABLE="width: 100%"]
[TR]
[TD="width: 450"]
This is a Large Engine Isolation Mount for the US Engines 25,35,& 41cc engines.This mount has rubber isolators that reduce vibration that could damage theairplane airframe or radio equipment inside.[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
Old 02-09-2014, 07:13 AM
cmdiduca

I appreciate the responses! I still have some time before I mount the engine to decide. Have any of you fitted the inner doors to your plane. I have seen the pictures of the aerotech doors. Shame they went out of business. Does anyone have any drawings or plans for these doors. I can make them but it would be great to have some dimensions..
Chris
Old 02-09-2014, 12:01 PM
JDjetjock
My Feedback: (2)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

More on engine soft mounts. I suggest you also consult your engine's instructions. I also have this TF P-51 (in B version) and am installing a ZDZ Super 80. As another reference point, the ZDZ instructions say this:

The engine can be mounted directly to the firewall or to an engine box which is conically changing its shape gradually from engine to firewall. Non-symetric solutions of box helps to decrease vibration level. IN ANY CASE soft rubber spacers or soft silent blocks should not be used. This solution can cause damage to the engine and bearings by providing even higher vibration levels.

Having a mechanical engineering background, this does make sense for single cylinder lightweight high performance engines that have little mass to stabilize itself...like our engines. A rigid mount allows for proper and consistent transfer of torque to the propellor shaft. Yes, soft mounts would offer damping, but could become out of phase with the engine torque pulses potentially causing increased inertial load on the shaft, shaft bearings and connecting rod bearings.

For gas engines mounted on a wood box or aluminum extensions, these already offer slight damping without impacting engine operation/performance. If you ensure proper balancing of your spinner and prop, and soft mount your electronic ignition module & Rx, you should be fine.

Cheers,

Last edited by JDjetjock; 02-09-2014 at 12:04 PM.
Old 02-09-2014, 02:15 PM
cmdiduca

Dle 55 makes no specific mention of soft mounts either way. It shows only the hard mounting in the manual.
Chris
Old 02-09-2014, 03:31 PM
piperjon

Originally Posted by cmdiduca
I appreciate the responses! I still have some time before I mount the engine to decide. Have any of you fitted the inner doors to your plane. I have seen the pictures of the aerotech doors. Shame they went out of business. Does anyone have any drawings or plans for these doors. I can make them but it would be great to have some dimensions..
Chris
Chris if you pin me I can help with the drawing Goose sent me and I'm sure he wouldn't worry about me helping you. Just send me your email address okay.
John

Last edited by piperjon; 02-09-2014 at 03:46 PM.
Old 02-09-2014, 04:16 PM
leadgofer
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been flying mine around 12 years with hundreds of flights. I have a G62 with the rubber mounts. Makes the firewall to back of spinner spacing the same as the US 41 shown on the plans. Been clocked at 105mph!
Old 02-09-2014, 09:41 PM
eric_monster

Hey all,

I have come to the realization that I am not going to finish my kit. I started it in 2008, and it has been in the rafters of my garage since 2010. Probably a wise decision since I realize that I made a lot of mistakes on the wing and when I mounted the horizontal and vertical stabs. I will likely get the ARF and do some bashing on it.

Anyway, if anyone wants, I will send you the decals and the plastic parts; canopy, cowl, radiator scoop, and gun blisters.

All I ask is if you want them you cover the shipping. Just let me know. I'm going to post this in the P-51 Brotherhood thread too.

Eric
Old 02-10-2014, 07:28 PM
piperjon

Hello Eric,

gee mate that's not good news!! But I suppose buying the ARF kit would be better for you. But there is so much info on building this TF kit that you shouldn't have any trouble if you ask and read what other builders have done. Your call for sure and if you feel better at the ARF kit go for it.

John
Old 02-10-2014, 07:46 PM
piperjon

Back to soft mounting for a DLE55 engine. My Hangar 9 Extra 80" wing span runs the DLE55 and the engine is fitted to a box mount. The soft mount didn't work for me so I changed to hard mount and have no problems what so ever. I did add some timber to help the box stay in it's place and being a no-holds barred scale aerobatic plane may have been why the soft mount didn't work for me.

Last edited by piperjon; 02-10-2014 at 07:49 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.